Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kuril Sunrise. Easy-to-kill Russian subs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Kuril Sunrise. Easy-to-kill Russian subs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kuril Sunrise. Easy-to-kill Russian subs? - 1/20/2019 5:35:01 PM   
Phoenix100

I have a query about Japanese versus Russian subs (and whether there's something wrong with my version of the game). Anyone help?

I just finished Kiril Sunrise as Japanese and found it surprisingly easy. I read various AARs which suggested it should be quite challenging, and perhaps more should have happened. I'm practically a novice.

My experience with the scenario, playng Japan, was that I had a big air fight at the beginning, took down Russians at roughly 3:1 - so I lost perhaps 10 fighters to Russia losing 30. Then about 24 hours in my subs furthest east, particularly the Moschinio, started picking up Russian sub contacts and over a period of hours manages to kill 4, plus some kind of frigate, with no problem at all.

Then all 3 Japanese subs furthest east detect the convoy, close in on it, loose off harpoons (nearly all intercepted) and torpedoes (which nearly all get through). End of convoy. Triumph.

Basically, I was left wondering if the Russian subs could really be so terrible that cadet rated Japanese subs could so easily dispatch them? The subs seemed to be the bulk of the cover for the convoy, and once they were dealt with the convoy was easy to kill. The air battle at the beginning was exciting, but had little to do with the scenario goal of killing the convoy, which, as I said, my 3 eastern-most subs took care of very easily.

Could something be broken in my version? I mean, are the Japanese subs, even on cadet rating, really, in RL, so much better than those Russian subs in there?

My tactics with the subs were very basic. There was plenty of time and a lot of biologics, so whenever I got an identified SSN contact I slowed the nearest sub to 1kts and kept it mostly at shallow depth, giving it all the time it needed then to close to range. I did have some torpedoes fired at my subs, but their parent subs were killed long before they got near mine. I didn't notice any sonarbuoys being dropped or anything like that.
Post #: 1
RE: Kuril Sunrise. Easy-to-kill Russian subs? - 1/20/2019 7:02:46 PM   
De Savage

Japanese subs are aip versions and extremely silent. Russian subs have lower quality sonars too. This makes sub vrs. sub quite difficult for the russians.

I too found the scenario too easy on japanese side. On otherhand on russian side it was fun and more challenging. Hopefully there will be more smaller scenarios like this. It also nice to play on Russian side and test their equipment.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Kuril Sunrise. Easy-to-kill Russian subs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI