Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another way to show/display big stacks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Another way to show/display big stacks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another way to show/display big stacks - 1/18/2019 12:12:26 AM   
Deathtreader

Hi all,

The large stacks are off-putting for many players including myself. But in order to emphasize the unique characteristics of the unit types (which I like) the design uses smaller sized units to achieve this. This leads us back to bigger stacks towering across the map.
So maybe the answer isn't to change the scale of the map and units but to change the way we display the stacked units on the map.
What if we just displayed the strongest unit (for example) with a small designator like +5 somewhere on the unit or hex to show the player there are 5 additional units in the hex. This icon would have to be brightly coloured so as not to be overlooked. The player could then call forth and cycle thru the additional units. They could also be displayed/shown on a unit list in their entirety on the side of the screen. A player could theoretically not have to ever call forth the complete stack on the map if orders can be issued from this side screen display list.

Thoughts?

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Post #: 1
RE: Another way to show/display big stacks - 1/18/2019 1:44:38 AM   
Rosseau

I really hope they take the "graphics" route that you describe above. I would think it would be easier to code. Played many games with large stacks, but this game just seems tougher to manipulate, while at the same time, love the details.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 2
RE: Another way to show/display big stacks - 1/19/2019 1:22:51 AM   
bcgames

Sounds like an interesting solution. I'll do a mock-up graphic for the El Alamein scenario to see if this idea has the potential to scratch the itch. Brian has provided a fix for the next patch that reduces the size of the unit counter in relation to the size of the hex. Maybe there's a combo fix in here somewhere...

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 3
RE: Another way to show/display big stacks - 1/22/2019 10:17:08 AM   
Saint Ruth

Mmmm...interesting...will have to have a look at the code...
Cheers,
Brian

Post #: 4
RE: Another way to show/display big stacks - 2/14/2019 11:33:02 PM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames

Sounds like an interesting solution. I'll do a mock-up graphic for the El Alamein scenario to see if this idea has the potential to scratch the itch. Brian has provided a fix for the next patch that reduces the size of the unit counter in relation to the size of the hex. Maybe there's a combo fix in here somewhere...

Just wondering if you folks find any value in my suggestion...…..and while it may not be possible as an update for Desert War perhaps it might work for the Eastern Front game. Particularly in light of the discussion in the EF sub forum centering around Soviet Rifle divisions vs. Rifle Brigades.

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 5
RE: Another way to show/display big stacks - 2/15/2019 1:39:57 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader
Just wondering if you folks find any value in my suggestion...

We'll see what happens with the breakdown/build-up idea.

Post #: 6
RE: Another way to show/display big stacks - 10/3/2019 12:03:26 AM   
Deathtreader

Hi,

I just had a smallish revelation...…. after having played this game for so long now, I realized I don't mind the big stacks at all anymore. Seems quite natural now. Go figure....

I recant!

Rob.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 7
RE: Another way to show/display big stacks - 10/3/2019 4:53:52 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader
...I don't mind the big stacks at all anymore. Seems quite natural now. Go figure....

In Stalingrad: Nightmare on the Volga the engine/editor now provides the capability to break-down regiments into battalions, and battalions into companies, and companies into platoons...for infantry and armor type units. All other unit types cannot be broken down.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Another way to show/display big stacks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI