Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Question About Air Superiority Missions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Question About Air Superiority Missions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Question About Air Superiority Missions - 1/21/2019 7:14:27 PM   
magi

quote:

ORIGINAL: DWReese

Gunner98,

While I can see the point of overwhelming the OpFor, there is little drama witnessing the slaughter of the other side. One of the variables that I'm sure can create some drama is applying some kind of time restraint. Sure, our carrier's air wing has enough fire power to completely destroy the OpFor by using repeated attacks, but what if you put a time constraint on them? Now, they still have to accomplish the same thing, but now they have to do it uin a very limited, and restricted amount of time. That adds to drama, and suspense.

You often post scenarios for testing. I almost NEVER want to test them. You usually hide various elements of suspense and surprise into your scenarios that I don't want to spil it for myself when the time comes around where I am about to play the scenario for real. Perhaps it's selfish on my part, but I look at these scenarios as if they are a Christmas present, and enjoy being entertained by discovering these hidden surprises. (I do believe that that's the reason that I get tired of my own scenarios, because they hold no more drama for me.)

In any case, keep up the great job.

Doug

The problem I have with artificial time constraints… Is it demeans the purpose of the objective… Which is the successful prosecution of the mission.... Everything should be about the mission… If the mission cannot be successfully prosecuted… It is all senseless .......
Using time space.. operation tempo are tactical applications that you manipulate to leverage mission success.....
Excluding the manipulation of space time… Makes the scenario just game…

I have seen a number of scenarios… Where the assaulting force is ridiculously position at start within range of opfor... positioned to almost immediately take casualty for the sake of Game.... excluding the notion of the ingress as a tactical leverage...... While it does make for great tensions in gameplaying it is also kind of silly and lacking plausibility of any real world situation.....

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 31
RE: Question About Air Superiority Missions - 1/24/2019 8:36:54 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: magi
The problem I have with artificial time constraints… Is it demeans the purpose of the objective… Which is the successful prosecution of the mission.... Everything should be about the mission… If the mission cannot be successfully prosecuted… It is all senseless .......
Using time space.. operation tempo are tactical applications that you manipulate to leverage mission success.....
Excluding the manipulation of space time… Makes the scenario just game…

It depends. On the defense, you don't get to pick when the enemy attacks. They're going to do that when they decide it makes sense for them. In that case, a time constraint makes more sense, because the attack is over when the attack is over. On the offense, the reverse is true, unless you specifically make the decision that it's a hasty attack to exploit a fleeting, temporary advantage, there should be time to prepare and mass the resources necessary so that you're at maximum advantage.

In practical terms, that means an offensive scenario generally needs to have all the time necessary to reconfigure all the aircraft, and plan. While a defensive scenario is probably going to be relatively short and the player may be forced to choose between reconfiguring aircraft and risking not having enough of them ready when the enemy offensive comes.

quote:

I have seen a number of scenarios… Where the assaulting force is ridiculously position at start within range of opfor... positioned to almost immediately take casualty for the sake of Game.... excluding the notion of the ingress as a tactical leverage...... While it does make for great tensions in gameplaying it is also kind of silly and lacking plausibility of any real world situation.....

That's a different problem.

I remember a scenario I play tested where I looked at what was going on and my first decision was to take my carrier and run away at 30kts. I thought it was interesting how few people did that when I watched how they were testing it. They seemed content to have the carrier within SAM range. Who does that? Do they just love launching airplanes only for them to be shot down? It turned out that had I not run away, I would have been sunk by an undetected submarine. Apparently that one decision messed up his carefully thought out "plot." Who would have thought the US Navy would run away? Of course the would if they were in a fundamentally bad spot!

It's not necessary to rig a scenario in the name of drama. It's not even a good idea, because one unanticipated move can leave someone's carefully constructed plot in tatters. It's much better to think much more fundamentally. What is the computer attacking/defending? What is the player attacking/defending? Then come up with a plan on the computer side for doing that. Test it. Make sure it works really well, then challenge a player to defeat them.

A lot of players are politics/current events junkies. That's fine, but honestly, at this level of wargaming, there's really only a distant relationship between the politics of the conflict and the tactics employed. The politics shape things like what to attack or not to attack, what to defend, and what you might not care about protecting. They're also reflected in no-nav zones, and side postures.

The "plot" for a given scenario is what you tell people happened afterwards. Ideally, everyone has a different story about how they solved the problem.

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Question About Air Superiority Missions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI