Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Steam Release...is it possible?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Steam Release...is it possible? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 10:16:11 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun
Would be nice if they add it to Steam, help keep track of how many hours I put in it.

Oh, no, not this! I prefer being in denial about the time spent on this game

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 31
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 1:32:20 PM   
HansBolter

Steam is running in the background regardless of whether, or not, you have to log in to steam to play a game you downloaded from Steam. Its using resources.

Steam also hijacks my computer at boot-up and updates itself before my computer has finished booting, dragging out the boot process.

I HATE Steam with a passion.

I HATE that I HAD to set up a Steam account to validate the installation of Skyrim.

Have I mentioned that I truly HATE Steam?

Hans

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 32
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 1:32:57 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

Would be nice if they add it to Steam, help keep track of how many hours I put in it.

Been waiting for this for a long time

I NEVER want Big Brother monitoring how many hours I spend doing anything.

Hans

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 33
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 1:40:59 PM   
Yaab

At the bottom of the GOG webpage, you can change the currency to USD. WiTE is now discounted and priced at USD 22,60. Seems the GOG discounts are not coordinated with the Matrix site where the game is being sold at the full price.

All 2by3 games offered on GOG:
https://www.gog.com/games?devpub=2by3_games&page=1&sort=popularity

< Message edited by Yaab -- 6/5/2019 1:44:53 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 34
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 2:21:55 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

To late You would be stunned to know how much of your data gets out, from various applications.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 35
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 2:41:59 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

quote:

To late You would be stunned to know how much of your data gets out, from various applications.

Accepting the realization that it is occurring regardless of my wants, doesn't affect the fact that I still don't want it and will make choices to avoid it when and where I can.

Hans

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 36
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 2:50:40 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

Almost everything you do in win 7 or 10 (worse) is known by advertisers/govts/alphabets...unless you keep it always offline.

Do you have a smart(?) phone?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 37
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 2:53:06 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Accepting the realization that it is occurring regardless of my wants, doesn't affect the fact that I still don't want it and will make choices to avoid it when and where I can.

I definitely agree...it reminds me, however, of a friend of mine that puts one of his neighbors house's address into his smart phone and thinks he is fooling google/apple.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 38
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 2:56:45 PM   
Canoerebel

A few weeks ago, I for some reason clicked to allow my computer to know my location, or something like that.

A few days later, I was browsing the internet, looking at machinery capable of folding correspondence, inserting it into envelopes, and affixing postage. (This to save my staff the time and effort involved in doing it manually.) My search took me to the Pitney-Bowles website, where many such machines are available. Irritatingly, the price for the machines aren't noted - you are instead required/requested/encouraged to click a button for more information etc. I didn't go down that rabbit hole, instead just moving on.

About two days later, I received in the mail a brilliantly pink foil envelope full of info about Pitney-Bowles envelope-stuffing machines.

IE, Pitney-Bowles knew I had visited its website, even though all I did was go to the website.

I understand the convenience factor but this kind of stuff creeps me out. I've since turned off the aspect of my computer that "allows it" to know my location, but I'm not at all confident the change is universal across my computer and all connections I make.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 39
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 3:22:56 PM   
Lecivius

Private browsing. Refuse cookies. Security on High. Don't access Flash. Do not DL apps on your smart phone. Set trusted sites manually, and block any requests. Do not allow Browsing History to be kept.

That is just off the top of my head while working.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 40
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 3:44:17 PM   
HansBolter

Yes, I have a smart phone.

I hate that it tracks my every movement.

George Orwell was only off in his guess about who would become Big Brother.

Thankfully, it has not yet been the Government (at least not fully), but NGOs looking to sell you stuff and wanting to profile you in order to do so that have become the first iteration of BB.

As scary as the first iteration is we should all rightly fear the second iteration.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 6/5/2019 3:45:09 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 41
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 4:27:49 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Private browsing. Refuse cookies. Security on High. Don't access Flash. Do not DL apps on your smart phone. Set trusted sites manually, and block any requests. Do not allow Browsing History to be kept.

And use a proxy server.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 42
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/5/2019 4:39:58 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

And use a proxy server.

LOL...well, we can get into some details if you want to do a security dive

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 43
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/6/2019 12:12:29 AM   
sanch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

And use a proxy server.

What a tremendous idea! Cable modem -> proxy server -> lan !!!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 44
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/6/2019 9:23:12 AM   
Rising-Sun

Well I don't mind buying another WitP:AE for Steam.

For Steam users, if you check your options and settings, you can disabled the download, overlay, etc. Just gotta mess with it. Been with Steam for so long, never had any problems with them.

The longest games I ever played, Skyrim (over 1.5k hours) and Skyrim SE (over 900hrs). There no telling how much I put in WitP:AE, learning it and modding, etc.

Back then when Steam came out, I didn't want nothing to do with it. Now many games and software is require to have Steam Account to activate and update, didn't like that either. But if I want it, gotta get it, infact nothing really bad with Steam. Maybe you guys hearing rumors or not enough experiences with Steam?

Got over hundred games on there, say 10% I like and the rest is boring or dislike. Finally I can get my refund back if I don't like it.

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 45
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/6/2019 9:34:45 AM   
Yaab

Whiners do not use Tor.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 46
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/6/2019 10:34:15 AM   
oaltinyay

quote:

Thankfully, it has not yet been the Government (at least not fully), but NGOs looking to sell you stuff and wanting to profile you in order to do so that have become the first iteration of BB.

As scary as the first iteration is we should all rightly fear the second iteration.

Actually that iroomba you have at home , tells back "home" how large your house is, how many rooms, the placement of the rooms, and many other things....

"Battles are fought by cowards afraid to run" - Gene Wolfe

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 47
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/6/2019 10:42:06 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

This could be bad news for Chinese citizens

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 48
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/6/2019 10:44:32 AM   
Yaab

It is not Big Brother anymore. It is the Big Brothers - govt, NGOs, corps, sec agencies watching you at the same time. They sabotage your war effort with pointless alerts/emails/malware, when you just want to plot the turn. In the future, only the homeless people playing chess will see the end of the war.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 6/6/2019 10:45:00 AM >

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 49
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/6/2019 11:28:15 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

It is not Big Brother anymore. It is the Big Brothers - govt, NGOs, corps, sec agencies watching you at the same time. They sabotage your war effort with pointless alerts/emails/malware, when you just want to plot the turn. In the future, only the homeless people playing chess will see the end of the war.

Remind me to watch The Prisoner again.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 50
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/7/2019 3:10:03 AM   
Big B

To Steam or Not to Steam, that is the question.

To all those concerned about Big Brother, yes - he's listening. But more to the point, If you have ever sent an email or text, BB has a copy of it filed away already.
Does BB care or read it?
- No, ....unless you do something outlandish to get notice...then they can search everything you have said. If you are on this Forum BB can research it (shudder?).
The point is we have no "privacy" electronically. I'm not even going there.

What Steam can do for WitP:AE is get Wide Notice and Circulation...potentially the user base could multiply exponentially...and that means a whole lot of money for the owners of this product, not to mention the community base.

Not to mention any game sold on Steam stays in your library for continual download to your latest pc - forever. It's a real Good deal for users.

Basically - No Downside, I can't imagine a legit reason for not going to Steam...not to mention the developers who publish on Steam get a VASTLY Bigger cut of the proceeds of their games than the traditional store sale model.

B

< Message edited by Big B -- 6/7/2019 3:21:42 AM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 51
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/7/2019 3:20:40 AM   
Lowpe

Maybe since it isn't being supported GOG is a better option than Steam?

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 52
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/7/2019 3:22:04 AM   
Big B

Maybe the reason really is that 2x3 signed an exclusive deal with Matrix that prohibits them with going to Steam...it's always "follow the Money"

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 53
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/7/2019 4:00:43 AM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Maybe since it isn't being supported GOG is a better option than Steam?

I have been checking GOG for oldies/indies for the last two years. Noticed the Slitherine Games banner there just yesterday. Color me surprised.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 54
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/7/2019 8:55:01 AM   
Rising-Sun

I like GoG too, got some older games I enjoyed. Alpha Centauri, Call to Power II, Falcon 3.0+ and many more. Now I don't think its a good idea to put WitP:AE in GoG. Why, well its isn't cheap and the company own GoG based in Poland. Steam is in USA, Steam also have better security than GoG, so if you use your CCs, after using it, make sure to delete that infos.

I been using my secondary card for purchase online stuffs, transfer cash over whenever I buy something. I never had any problems with GoG for couple of years.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 55
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/7/2019 1:04:28 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Maybe the reason really is that 2x3 signed an exclusive deal with Matrix that prohibits them with going to Steam...it's always "follow the Money"

Well they could decide to change their method of product delivery since so many young players now use these game sites to buy their games. The WITP-AE consortium might have to pay a fee to the game site for advertising and selling their game, but they would reach more players and likely sell more product.

OTOH, there has been a surge of new players recently coming to the forum for setup and play advice, so Matrix must still be catching some attention.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 56
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/7/2019 1:23:40 PM   
Ardi

Didn't see it mentioned there, but Steam also has the feature of different regions with different prices, which may be significately lower for countries with lower prices on goods in general. Here is the picture with prices fot The Operational Art of War IV, which was released on Steam in the past year. So it may be beneficial for the attraction of new players into the game. Release on Steam is always a huge short-term boost for the popularity of any given game, which is perfect for the buy-to-play tipe of game like WitP:AE.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ardi -- 6/7/2019 3:26:45 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 57
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/8/2019 8:34:28 PM   
scout1

So just what is the advantage of a "Steam" release vs alternative ?

I don't get it ...

(in reply to Ardi)
Post #: 58
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/10/2019 10:44:51 PM   
rustysi

quote:

What Steam can do for WitP:AE is get Wide Notice and Circulation...potentially the user base could multiply exponentially...

I really doubt it. What we have is a niche product in a niche community.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 59
RE: Steam Release...is it possible? - 6/14/2019 7:20:02 AM   
Yaab

quote:

Steam is running in the background regardless of whether, or not, you have to log in to steam to play a game you downloaded from Steam. Its using resources.

Steam also hijacks my computer at boot-up and updates itself before my computer has finished booting, dragging out the boot process.

I HATE Steam with a passion.

I HATE that I HAD to set up a Steam account to validate the installation of Skyrim.

Have I mentioned that I truly HATE Steam?

Same here. Steam constantly auto-updates on boot, stifling my Firefox, which cannot load any webapage during the auto-update procedure. Sometimes it takes me 3-5 minutes to open the WITP:AE pages after the boot. A simple UPDATE YES/NO pop-up box on boot would be user-friendly, but we can't have that.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Steam Release...is it possible? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI