Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/20/2019 3:10:17 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

When you open the unit display and you see the list of equipment there may be some lines that are included that says you don't have any of that item but you may get some in the future, but you're not told when in the future you can expect to start receiving some of it. Sometimes it's important to know that and you have to go look in the inventory and losses dialog for each piece of equipment that you're wondering about. It takes considerable time to do that when if it was on the unit display, readily available as it were, you wouldn't have to do that. I'm just saying.....

This information is in the inventory/replacement report. Since Bob is hard at work with things like Hierarchy I'd rather he do that than add information to reports that's already there with a mouse click or two. But yeah, it would save time.

Edit: Actually I'd like to see bugs squashed and the broken parts of the editor fixed but he's just one guy.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 5/20/2019 3:12:16 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 211
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/25/2019 3:43:20 AM   
cpt flam

news from turn 25 for Axis
this time, I choose to take some height

the 250th Infantry division arrive by rail (Spanish)

movement are in 2 direction:
small push toward Pskov
greater strength trying to bypass defense leading to Orsha

Larry did not remember that interdiction is not allowed. That did not hinder my movement really.
But air war was an heavy fight, I loosed 38 planes for nearly 280 of his.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 212
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/25/2019 3:48:02 AM   
cpt flam

AGC

pockets have been partly destroyed

2 crossing have been made near Bryansk

we shattered 41 regiment and 11 HQ
advance is slow but continue

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 213
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/25/2019 3:56:30 AM   
cpt flam

11th Army and AGS

after elimination of roadblocks
possibility to take ground come back

upper left, units are from 17th Army
Rumania is putting siege of Odessa

at least 67 regiment are begging for supply with 22 HQ

Russia will have a lot of work to regroup units in proper Armies as they are dispersed along all the front

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 214
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/28/2019 6:25:11 AM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Patrick and you can see where he has made a hole in my lines and his units are sneaking through and I've got no reserve so now that there's a hole I need to see if I can't pull all those people back to the next set of MLR's before they get surrounded, isolated, and destroyed. I'm still receiving reinforcements by the boat-load. There isn't enough rail cap to move all of them. I've decided to move the ones I can use on the front lines immediately and let the cherry red ones rest some more. Although, I have been known to move some yellow ones to Moscow. The air war is still as hot as ever. In the lower left is the air losses meter. The 175 ( "ours" ) aircraft listed as lost by my side is probably fairly accurate. What the Axis actually lost is probably in the neighborhood of 20 or so.

Attachment (1)

if the human race ever does get to be space fairing and be able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 215
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/28/2019 6:47:20 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's just some of the losses of the Soviet side so far. I'm completely out of reserve I-16 type 10's and I'm not making very many per turn and I'm not going to be building any very much longer. I have moved all the biplanes ( I-153's ) to the south regions so that they are out of most of the furballs. There's not much of an air war going on near Sevastopol. I still have a couple hundred each of the Mig's and the Yak's. I'm going to pull everybody back to safety and let the planes rest some.

Attachment (1)

if the human race ever does get to be space fairing and be able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Post #: 216
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/28/2019 3:38:11 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a zoom out view of the area NE of Kiev and you can see how sparse the Soviet defense is. I'm counting on the natural defensive features of the terrain to help me delay the Germans and it's not quite working out. The Germans are still able to leap the rivers and get into my backfield. The rivers aren't the hindrence I was hoping for. And they are coming on too fast for the Soviets to cope with their advance. My reinforcements seem to arrive just in time when they get railed into the AO.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 217
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/28/2019 5:38:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

I started putting together a chart of the relative strengths of the various combatants.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/28/2019 6:23:42 PM >

Post #: 218
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/28/2019 6:24:18 PM   
larryfulkerson

I thought I'd do an enlargement of the jump map just to get a better idea of what level of crisis mode I should be in. Odessa is surrounded, Kiev is surrounded, the Germans are east of Orsha, but the good news is that Pskov seems safe for now. Instead of building an MLR around Moscow, I've been railing the replacements to the front lines and it's slowed down the Axis advance so far.

The Finns are starting to break through the Soviet defenders on the north end of the lines above Leningrad. I've used some worn out units to build an MLR-like screen across the peninsula just above Leningrad but won't hold back the Finns for very long.

About a dozen early model Soviet fighters became combat ready this turn and they got deployed to the field. About 2/3's of them were I-153's and they got deployed to the Sevastopol area to fly CAP for the Soviet ships in that AO. They are biplanes and that's just about all they are good for because TOAW doesn't have a "training" mode for the aircraft. There's also the lack of a "night mission" setting for the aircraft. There's also no dedicaed recon mission. Neither is there a mine-laying mission. Or a mission targetted at the city facilities, factories, railyards, supply drops to the partisans behind enemy lines, etc. And if I could drop bridges from the air I think I would try that and see how much it helps.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/28/2019 6:25:18 PM >

Post #: 219
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/28/2019 7:14:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

I was moving units and I came to a Pe-2 and originally I thought it was a fighter-bomber based on it's range but I wasn't sure so I thought I'd google it and here's what I found. It turns out that it's a dive-bomber.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/28/2019 7:15:37 PM >

Post #: 220
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/28/2019 9:26:17 PM   
gliz2

Peshka was both dive- and level-bomber (light/medium bomber category). Also few hundreds recon version were deployed.

It had a fighter version (over 1.500 deployed) called PE-3 which was used similar as Me-110 or Me-410.

I think active defense is more productive for the Soviets as they have the edge over Germans in terms of resources. Thus the best tactic is to hassle the Wermacht.

Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.

Post #: 221
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/29/2019 3:24:15 AM   
larryfulkerson

Patrick has broken through in the north leading to Narva. I haven't blocked the avenue all that much so he's probably going to blast his way through the next MLR going north. I can expect Patrick to try to surround all my defenders before he grabs Leningrad I suppose. He may need those extra follow on units to force his way into the Leningrad area.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gliz2)
Post #: 222
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/29/2019 3:58:39 AM   
cpt flam

German view about turn 26
AGN

first units arrived exhausted along Velikaya river.
We are at the gates of Ostrov.

Advance continue toward Vitebsk, trying to bypass defensive line established from long time.

Air war is still advantageous 25 vs 175

Attachment (1)

Post #: 223
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/29/2019 4:06:18 AM   
cpt flam

AGC

last turn: 2nd Panzer arrived by rail from Germany
I used them this turn to open the front line

I was surprised to repulse a regiment south of Vitebsk with a small attack.

A bit less units were destroyed 32 regiment and 11 HQ (some were really strong).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 224
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/29/2019 4:10:29 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a view of how easy it is for the German units to leap across the river and force their way onto the other side and this means there will be a foot race to the east to see who can get there first because there's a lot of industry in that direction. Now that he's across the river he's got access to the deep south as well. Great. I've given priority to the area west of Moscow but I'm thinking that this area is going to need some roadblocks and strongpoints and really quickly now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 225
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/29/2019 4:15:04 AM   
cpt flam

AGS and 11th Army

I kept some height as the front is rather large.

Nikolayev is isolated from supply.
Kherson road seems open.

Few action was taken against pocket on the left of picture.
Destroying an HQ with artillery regiment supported by HQ and ART spent my units.
Small attack against Kiev area to gain an hex. Support there is strong too.

I think that 51 regiment and 25 HQ are actually isolated.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 226
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/1/2019 1:15:48 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's some of the Soviet losses so far. Heavy losses in the HQ units I notice.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/1/2019 1:16:39 AM >

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 227
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/1/2019 2:07:49 PM   
cpt flam

Turn 27 Axis view point

in AGN
3rd Motorized division and a Panzer are leading the advance
part of the front is broken

about our air force, for each type I will show available replacement and losses at beginning of the turn
Fighters 187 dispo for 255 lost Fighter-bomber 8 vs 89
Bombers 44 vs 252 Dive bombers 128 vs 77

this turn I lost 19 planes for 184 Russians

Attachment (1)

Post #: 228
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/1/2019 2:16:32 PM   
cpt flam

AGC
sector from Orsha to just north of Bryansk

Roslavl has been taken and rails are passing through

more to the south, Chernigov has been liberated from communists
losses have been about the same as last turn 32 regiment and 12 HQ

Army HQ as the 7-16 on previous picture are forms around much support squad

I must wait anxiously about soviet answer

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 229
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/1/2019 2:26:37 PM   
cpt flam

AGS

another hex from Kiev fortress is taken by Hungary
bombardment of Kiev and Odessa is under way
First Rumanian units are at the gates of Kherson
motorized units are about 10 kilometers from Krivoi Rog
behind lead unit, others having cleared pockets will arrive soon

you can see that many units are actually encircle
I think that 76 regiment and 48 HQ will be isolated

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 230
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/1/2019 3:08:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a view of the Orshsa area right now and I think I may be in serious trouble in this AO. The Germans are breaking through my lines and they are going to destroy all the Soviet units in this image. I've decided to ignore the tendency to pull units back to the east. I've decided to stand and fight right here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 231
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/4/2019 8:23:43 AM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Patrick. I'm watching the playback of Patrick's turn and I'm marveling at his moves. Some of the best I've seen. And I thought you guys might want to see this too so I zipped it up and attached it here below. My password is "password" without the quotes. It's a lot like that animated movie of the Operation Barbarosa I posted about on the main forum section.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/4/2019 8:24:44 AM >

Post #: 232
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/4/2019 2:52:26 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the Pskov area right now. You can see how the Axis forces have already entered the peninsula and have outflanked my units which are being surrounded and will soon be destroyed. The withdrawl attack when I try to leave an adjacent-to-an-enemy-unit hex is fierce and I always lose a lot of equipment. That's mostly the reason I'm just letting my units sit there dug in and out of supply. I suppose I can try to move my recon units because they have a higher recon value and can probably get disengaged without much of a departing attack.

I've railed into Pskov a lot of supporting arty and so far my MLR there in the city is holding out just fine. My units are well rested and most of them are in the green, ready for combat. I'm guessing that the Axis will outflank my forces somewhere south of this position and the Axis advance will dictate the need to displace all these forces and move northeast to the next terrain of natural defensive positions. I have a light screen to the north of this image but it won't hold back any determined German units.

I have plans to see if I can't integrate my ships into the Leningrad defensive plan. I'm going to need several fighter squadrons to perform a CAP over the Leningrad area because I'm pretty sure Patrick is going to want to strike my ships from the air if not from the sea ( eventually ). I haven't had much of a problem railing units to this AO because neither of us is using any INT missions to prevent enemy unit movement.

I'm wondering how Patrick's supply level is here at the front. I'm guessing it's still adequate for operations because he is still on the advance all over the map.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/4/2019 2:55:58 PM >

Post #: 233
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/4/2019 3:22:55 PM   
larryfulkerson

The Axis forces have broken my front lines near Smolensk and are streaming units through the holes. This is a major problem and I may not be able to recover fom this. I'm getting boat-loads of reinforcements each turn ( not combat ready yet ) and it appears that I need to rail them all to this AO pretty quickly now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 234
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/5/2019 5:00:37 AM   
cpt flam

my view about turn 28
AGN

supply is fine here as rail line are up to front line
finally a new pocket is form
I knew there was support unit unknown behind as I couldn't RBC battalion size units

there will be probably few change in this sector before mud

air war cost me much this time 42 vs 203

Attachment (1)

Post #: 235
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/5/2019 5:06:54 AM   
cpt flam

junction between AGC and AGS

crossing of the river has been made by strength
units came to open a pocket and become trapped too

destroyed units remain as before 31 regiment and 10 HQ (from which: 20, 22 & 29 Armies)
Larry showed what's happening around Smolensk

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 236
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/5/2019 5:14:13 AM   
cpt flam

AGS + 11th Army

many less pockets to reduce

I "noted" each division traveling toward edge of the battlefield
these comprised Slovak, 7 Rumanian and 16 German

known isolated, there is 88 regiment and 36 HQ
I try to have mini map explain part of the front not shown

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 237
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/8/2019 9:22:55 AM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Patrick. I especially like to watch the playback and I'll bet there's some people out that that would like to watch it too, so I zipped it up and attached it here below. My password is "password" without the quotes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 238
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/9/2019 6:50:25 AM   
cpt flam

Turn 29, mud is coming quickly now
AGN

Few units are stopped in front of Tartu
in the bottom of the picture, I gone with bridge engineer looking for a crossing and retreated when I saw number of
defenders.

air war was a bit better: 34 vs 214

Attachment (1)

Post #: 239
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 6/9/2019 6:58:17 AM   
cpt flam

AGC
sector of Bryansk
some units will be isolated as I could RBC the AA brigade
You can see the number of HQ supporting SE of the city

2 Panzer divisions are positioning toward Yelna

losses have been better as we wipe off 38 regiment and 18 HQ

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI