Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/16/2019 11:30:10 PM   
larryfulkerson

There's a lot of action going on in this section of the front lines as I keep railing people into this AO and send them to the front. A lot of them have had some rest since they respawned and the Axis advance is slowing down. But we're not done yet as the lines are still slowly being pushed backward and I'm thinking of trying to move what I can to better defensive positions a few units at a time. Also, I think it's getting close to time to start building another MLR closer to Moscow.

Attachment (1)

A new theory says that whenever someone discovers what the universe means that the universe instantly changes to something even more mysterious. There is another new theory that says that this has already happened.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 151
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/16/2019 11:57:06 PM   
rhinobones

Larry, what's the hex around the HQ for? Don't recall this from previous TOAW versions. Artillery range, supply radius . . ?

Regards, RhinoBones

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 152
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/17/2019 12:18:32 AM   
Zovs

I am not Larry, but I believe that is the support for that HQ unit. See 7.14.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario & campaign creator

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 153
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/17/2019 12:54:06 AM   
larryfulkerson

Zovs is correct...it's the range arc for the arty equipment organic to the HQ unit. 24/24 Howitzers, and I'm using them to bombard the German attackers. I usually get a handful of hits of various kinds, mostly trucks.

A new theory says that whenever someone discovers what the universe means that the universe instantly changes to something even more mysterious. There is another new theory that says that this has already happened.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 154
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/21/2019 6:08:07 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Patrick and this is the T19 front lines. The Axis units are making holes in my lines and they are infiltrating through the holes and surrounding my troops and I'm being pushed backwards slowly but pretty soon I'm going to run out of resources and the whole thing might collapse. I'm going to have to start building another MLR real quick especially in front of Moscow. The troops around Orsha are being pushed backward especially quickly and the Axis units will be in Smolensk soon. There's not a lot of natural defensive terrain in that area and the German Army is the best in the world right now. My planes are putting in an appearance but their losses are particularly high. The front lines near Gomel are collapsing slowly. There's nothing between the Axis units and Kiev and there are probably Axis units approaching Cherkassy even as we speak. I've stopped up all the river crossings on the Dneper south of Kiev already so now the Germans are going to advance across the open area west of the Dneper for about 7 turns or so and then will be up against the river. I'm going to receive a lot of units in those 7 turns and the longer I can hold up the Germans the more units I will receive. The more units I receive the stronger will be my front lines and the ability to stop the Germans may appear hopefully soon.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 155
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/21/2019 6:14:27 PM   
larryfulkerson

"Get Comrad Supreme General Konev on the phone and make it quick..."

Attachment (1)

Post #: 156
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/21/2019 6:28:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's happening near Odessa right now. The Germans have forced the river crossings north of this image and they are streaming across and rolling up my lines and soon they will own all the river crossings and I'll have to fall back to the east. I'm leaving a substantial defensive group at Odessa and hopefully they will hold out until at least October ( it's August 24 now ) and I'm thinking that with a lot of support from the Soviet ships it'll hold out for at least that long. All the planes I send to Odessa get chewed up and I have to replace them after just one turn. There's been no attacks on my ships yet but I expect some in the very near future. I would rail some RR arty down here to help out but the Germans have cut the railroad leading to here. I suppose you could say that the siege on Odessa has started, or soon will.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 157
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/21/2019 6:58:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the area around Orsha right now. So far the front lines are holding along the river but are being slowly pushed backward south of Orsha. This area is changing rapidly and soon the troops along the river will have to pull back to avoid being cut off and isolated.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 158
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/21/2019 11:30:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the area SE of Riga and you can see the Germans getting through my lines without any trouble and that means I have to pull back real quick or I'll get surrounded, isolated, and destroyed. My units don't have enough mojo to stop the Germans.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 159
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/21/2019 11:44:36 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the area just north of Leningrad and shows how I've installed a screen to prevent the Finns from getting any closer to the port. The Finns are bombarding and there's a probe every once in a while and the Soviets are holding so far. I've got my fingers crossed. Knock on wood. I don't have a reserve to speak of so this situation is ify.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/22/2019 12:07:44 AM >

Post #: 160
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/22/2019 12:46:31 AM   
Zovs

Larry, dumb question but in your AAR/screen shots, I notice that some of your interface components are not in the default location. I was looking around and did not see a way to move them, I can turn them on/off but have not seen a way to move them.

Am I missing something stupid?

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario & campaign creator

Post #: 161
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/22/2019 12:56:06 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs
Larry, dumb question but in your AAR/screen shots, I notice that some of your interface components are not in the default location. I was looking around and did not see a way to move them, I can turn them on/off but have not seen a way to move them.

Am I missing something stupid?

About half a millimeter above the top border of most of the windows is an invisible "grab" area so that you can click-hold and drag the window to where you want it to live. I move the air losses meter to the bottom left and the dohickie in the top left corner gets moved to the far left bottom in that divit built into the status bar and the "buttons" window gets moved to the bottom edge of the Unit Display and the mini-map gets moved to just under that on the far right side. So that a tiny bit larger area is left in the middle and the mini-map is easier to reach from the "next" button, I can do my game play slightly faster, but be aware that zooming up and then back down will reset your windows to their default positions, a bug for sure, and there's no way to save the positions of the windows to a configuration file so that reading in that file will re-position your windows automatically ( yet ). I'm not even sure that any of the developers have this bug on their list of things to fix. Consider it on the "wish list" I guess. At least I can move the windows.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/22/2019 8:54:41 AM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 162
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/22/2019 3:55:11 AM   
cpt flam

one more time, Larry was quicker than me

turn 19 was fast as I failed a proficiency check after 2 sets of attack

here is a picture a bit south of what Larry showed
at least we are closing toward Roslav

air war continue to be advantageous 37 vs 314
I saw 4 air units disappeared in a fight

Attachment (1)

Post #: 163
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/22/2019 4:04:06 AM   
cpt flam

AGS

rail line arrived in Shepetovka

these are last pockets in this sector
you can see Kiev in upper right corner

few units were destroyed 31 regiment and 8 HQ
51 regiment and 10 HQ must be isolated

in the far south, 2 places will be hard nuts. Behind them are 3 HQ and 2 ART regiments

progress is slow and bloody

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 164
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/22/2019 8:57:29 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a view of the Gomel area and the "before" view of a catastrophe, a calamity, a cataclysm, and a tragedy all wrapped into one event. There's a very thin area close to the middle that can't not hold back a rabid chihuahua. Good thing that the Axis side is chronicly short of units. I'm hoping to be able to rail a lot of divisions to this AO and fix the weak spot before the Germans discover it. What's probably going to happen is that I'll get a train-load of troops here just in time to hold back a German division and then I'll get another train-load of troops, some of them may be yellow at this point, not quite through resting, and then another German division will arrive and then another and I'll be in a race to rail my people here faster than he can take proper advantage of the gap(s).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 165
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/22/2019 1:22:46 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've gotten started on building another MLR near Pskov and it's going together slowly, too slowly. It's probably not going to be ready when I need it the most.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 166
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/28/2019 9:51:24 AM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Patrick and this is the front lines at the beginning of turn 20. My forward defense has retarded the advance of the Germans, now I just need to build a front line that can stand up to the German Panzers. I've lost a lot of troops and now there aren't enough to make a solid front line from top to bottom but I can make a fairly good line around Moscow and I'm thinking that's what I'll do if worse comes to worse. For right now there's sections of the front lines that are stable and there's other sections that are still in motion and I'm having to move units around to contain the breakthroughs. This game would be considerably different if INT were allowed. I'm guessing that the biggest threat to the Soviet Union might be in the middle of the map on the road to Moscow. I've been railing a lot of people in that direction and so far it's been working.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 167
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/28/2019 1:52:59 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

This game would be considerably different if INT were allowed.

Interdiction can get crazy sometimes. But scenario designers have some control over how much it affects their scenario. When airfields are placed on roads or railroads it greatly enhances the chance of an interdiction attack. As a player if you keep your units out of airfield hexes it will help a great deal. Airfields are interdiction magnets even without any air units present. More so than any other kind of hex. It shouldn't be that way but it is. It kinda sucks.

Theater Reconnaissance is more likely to observe
locations with Roads, Anchorage locations, Airbases,
or large concentrations of Motorized equipment.
Airfields with Air units will almost certainly be
observed.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Post #: 168
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/29/2019 7:15:34 AM   
StuccoFresco

The ukrainian front seems non-existant, there seems to be a real risk of Axis just swarming past Kiev.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 169
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/29/2019 11:17:20 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: StuccoFresco
The ukrainian front seems non-existant, there seems to be a real risk of Axis just swarming past Kiev.

You are correct and I'm worried about that. My priority is Moscow of course but I would like to hang onto as much of the country as I can. I'm thinking about pulling what units I can toward Moscow and let the rest of the country go.

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 170
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/29/2019 10:24:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is what it looks like north of Leningrad. The Finns are on the brink of making a breakthrough somewhere.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 171
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/30/2019 4:50:10 AM   
cpt flam

turn 20 too, axis side point of view

Finns are reluctant against Leningrad as Vyborg front is supported by Soviet navy and they have not much replacement

about AGN
pocket have been cleared
this will give some infantry division to reinforce front line

air war was heavy for losses 48 vs 342

Attachment (1)

Post #: 172
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/30/2019 4:54:53 AM   
cpt flam

AGC

a new prisoner camp is created
as can be seen, some formation are still coming from the rear

few units were destroyed: 33 regiment and 6 HQ

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 173
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/30/2019 4:59:17 AM   
cpt flam

AGS

pockets have been reduced
Korosten is taken
siege of Odessa begin

a lot of movement behind the front line
white units are Slovak

I got news about reform of Hungary and Rumania Armies

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 174
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/30/2019 2:37:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on around Kiev right now. The Axis units are advancing to the east and have made several leaps forward and there's no stopping them. They have gotten across the last major river until further east a fairly long way away. They will gain a lot of territory unless I can manage to build some kind of MLR between them and Moscow. I've got about 10 divisions that are resting and can be moved to the front lines fairly soon. I need them in multiple places actually.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 175
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/30/2019 10:49:21 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm moving units and I've come to this arty unit and I made a discovery that alarmed me a bit. There's no slack in the numbers of horses. I lose a horse team and I'll have to leave a gun behind when I move. Or maybe the movement range decreases for the whole unit instead. I'm not sure which occurs. I guess I need to do some tests to find out. Won't take but a minute.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 176
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 4/30/2019 11:54:07 PM   
Lobster

Transport is abstract. You could have 100 guns and 10 horses and still move all of the guns.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Post #: 177
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/4/2019 5:14:52 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Patrick and this is the northern half of the front lines and shows where all the units have gotten to. I have to say that so far my defending forward has left the front lines further west than it's been on my previous games. This is a novel experience for me. It's costing a lot, in terms of troops and equipment. The Axis forces have made a habit of piercing my lines, surrounding my units, isolating them from supply LOC's and then destroying them. I'm receiving a boat-load of units each turn but they are all in the red and need about 5 turns of rest before they can be used. They enter the game short of equipment and need some turns to get enough for combat. I'm losing a lot of aircraft to the air war. I've been running my aircraft on single dots but the closer they get to 50% in proficiency I switch them to two-dots. I don't have any that I run at three-dots yet because the proficiency is never higher than about 50% for any of them. Part of the problem is that I'm feeding them into the fight a few at a time and not all at once.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/4/2019 5:15:56 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 178
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/5/2019 12:23:41 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm going to post the southern half of the front lines but first I want to make a comment about the OOB panel. I held down the period key until all the embarked units from last turn were disembarked and I noticed that some rail cap was missing and obviously it's from units I have embarked this turn and I needed to know how many units are still embarked and where they were and I couldn't think of an easy way to find that info. I need some kind of change to the OOB dialog so that the embarked ones stand out somehow. Maybe a different color text for those units? Some kind of distinction needs to be made I think.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/5/2019 12:24:21 AM >

Post #: 179
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 5/5/2019 1:25:10 AM   
Lobster

Something like that would be very helpful.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI