Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/3/2019 1:33:43 AM   
larryfulkerson

The Axis units are getting across the river in numbers and that makes my defense much harder. I keep railing troops into this area and they immediately get chewed up and fresh people are needed. I've been dropping bridges to slow down the Germans and I'm wondering if I've dropped them prematurely, if I should have just garrisoned them instead and waiting to the last minute. That way the Soviet supply level would have been better. I'm wondering whether or not I can get some of my ships this far south. I need more Soviet aircraft in this area, at least fighters.

Attachment (1)

Thailand is the world's biggest producer of rubber.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 61
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/6/2019 11:55:03 AM   
cpt flam

Larry choose to fight forward and this slow me a lot, that and not the best of first turn but i will do with it!
some words from Karelia where our friends began to move and killed and isolate some russians

Hango has been taken by 17th Infantry division with help of the navy.

In the far north, i had to moved airplanes as their base was shelled by Northern fleet

Attachment (1)

Post #: 62
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/6/2019 12:00:04 PM   
cpt flam

AGN

1st Panzer is resupplying on a railway.
Totenkopf has crossed the river, being ready for what will be needed.

Daugavpils is taken by 8th Panzer and 122 Infantry, against a Para corp

Druya has been conquered by 58th Infantry

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 63
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/6/2019 12:04:15 PM   
cpt flam

AGC

my first loss is there
moving an infantry regiment, it was engaged and lost a battalion.

Berezina is crossed against foe.
Probably first MLR we will encounter.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 64
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/6/2019 12:10:52 PM   
cpt flam

AGS

as you can see, railways and supply are fine due to stubborn defense of Russia.

South of there, Kishinev failed in our hands. Poorly defended by an AA unit.

cavalry units in yellowish grey are from Kalinin front. A bit lost perhaps.

I found a mountain unit lost in Hungary. We will have to meet them soon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 65
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/8/2019 12:03:46 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a zoomed out view of the area around Riga. The Axis forces have gotten into the better terain on the east side of the river and now the fighting is desperate and no quarter is given. The German units are healthy and have a proficienty approaching 80% in some units and I'm not very optimistic that I can hold this line very long. I'm railing formations into this area as they become available and there's about 18 divisions worth of reinforcements resting on the rails and I've been monitoring their state of existance especially the supply level because as soon as they reach 50% I send them into the fray.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 66
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/9/2019 10:31:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a close up view of a section of the front lines where the river bends and there's all kinds of places to leap across the river. You can see that the Axis units have already made a couple of breeches in my lines and I'm trying desperately to hold them back. My units are too small and the proficiency is too low and they are tired from having moved to get here, unless they were fortunate enough to get themselves railed here.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 67
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/14/2019 6:05:48 AM   
cpt flam

news of the front
Already half of July

in AGN
Defenders of Riga has been trapped against the coast
this area hold at least 5 regiments and 4 HQ

recco encountered 292 rifle div entrained

area noted as status quo is too light to have any possibility to push their opponents

Attachment (1)

Post #: 68
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/14/2019 6:09:57 AM   
cpt flam

in AGC

assault of Minsk fortress begin
2 hexes have been taken at prohibitive cost

Berezina is crossed, some bridges are already repaired
few units will be isolated

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 69
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/14/2019 6:14:18 AM   
cpt flam

AGS

Russian southern part of their front has been collapsed
about 17 regiments and 3 HQ will be isolated

we will arrive soon on Stalin line
I don't know what they will answer to this

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 70
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/14/2019 6:19:20 AM   
cpt flam

Bessarabia

Rumanian reserves have been released
a bit north, Dubossary is taken

if anybody have OOB for FITE, i would like to have it.
in quick guide, they speak about reorganization of Minors army and not knowing the effects can be lethal

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 71
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/15/2019 12:59:31 AM   
larryfulkerson

Hey you guys...my computer crashed and I'm in the throes of getting another machine set up and
it's taking a hell of a lot longer than I thought but I didn't die or anything. Stay tuned.

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 72
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/17/2019 6:32:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

My sister volunteered her computer so I'm almost back on line, maybe a couple of days more, and I'm doing my moves for Patrick's game and I thought I'd take a small break and post a picture and so.....

Here's the Soviet tank losses so far and it's looking pretty much like heavy losses to me. I'm going to have to pull back the survivors or I won't have any at all in front of Moscow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 73
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/17/2019 6:41:33 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the aircraft losses and it looks pretty much heavy losses here too. What in the world happened? I was doing just fine in the air for a while and now he's got an AS value a lot larger than mine and I'm starting to lose planes. I'm going to drop back to single dots for the fighters for a while and I'll have to retire the bombers to Warsaw or somewhere.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 74
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/19/2019 5:27:10 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a section of the front lines where the Germans have successfully gotten across the first river and they are rolling up my lines heading south so I've got to leave a skeleton staff and reposition those I can to the next defensive positions east of the next river.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 75
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/19/2019 6:10:39 AM   
larryfulkerson

It's T8 and this is the face of the war near Riga. The Germans have blown a hole in the Soviet lines and Axis units are pouring through and it appears that some of the Soviet units are going to get trapped there and destroyed, but maybe I can back up to the north and get reorganized and form another MLR real quick. It might be a better idea to just run everybody to the NE and hope not to get caught by the motorized Axis units. Maybe if I leave some roadblocks and blow some more bridges.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/19/2019 6:11:10 AM >

Post #: 76
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/19/2019 6:38:24 AM   
gliz2

Larry,
This is more for my study on FITE2 but could you tell me what did you do as Soviet in first 3 turns? Have you dug in and blown bridges and generally been on defensive stance or why is the German advance soooo slow

Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.

Post #: 77
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/19/2019 5:46:25 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: gliz2
Larry,
This is more for my study on FITE2 but could you tell me what did you do as Soviet in first 3 turns? Have you dug in and blown bridges and generally been on defensive stance or why is the German advance soooo slow

I'm defending forward and not running away. I'm blowing bridges and leaving roadblocks in the better positions and Patrick has commented on how slow his advance is as a result.
Here's a zoomed out view of what's going on in the south. The Germans are pressing hard and they are getting across the river so I need to displace some of the outlaying groups if possible, east to the next river.

As you may or may not know I experienced a computer crash about a week ago and I'm still getting it fully set up with all my games and scenarios and I sent a test file to Patrick to see if his machine would have any problems with it and so far it's working out great. I guess we're back in business.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/19/2019 5:47:17 PM >

(in reply to gliz2)
Post #: 78
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/20/2019 12:47:57 PM   
gliz2

Cpt Flam
Would it be ok if I used your performance as example of what could go wrong with ze Germans?

I have my own failures there but this would be a good PvP example.
Also this shows how important are the house rules for those T1-T4 turns in FITE2.

Post #: 79
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/23/2019 6:11:44 AM   
cpt flam

It's alright for me.
That's my first try with this scenario, this can explain part of my poor advance.
Furthermore i don't like to have spear heads isolated from others over long distance.

(in reply to gliz2)
Post #: 80
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/23/2019 8:58:25 AM   
gliz2

Thank You Cpt Flam
From what I see you did the beginners/firts-timer mistakes in Turns 1-2 (decisive ones for the FITE2 '41 outcome). After that it's just very hard for the Germans.
PS. When I played it the very first time I performed much worse [:P]

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 81
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/23/2019 12:50:05 PM   
cpt flam

Thank you for these kind words.

(in reply to gliz2)
Post #: 82
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/23/2019 2:30:40 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've received some bad news in that the Axis forces have forced a hole in my lines and they are getting across the river. I'm going to have to rail some people into this area to try to stem the flow of Axis units getting into my backfield. I've got about half a dozen stacks that are ready to move so maybe I can rectify this situation quickly. Maybe not.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/26/2019 5:36:59 AM >

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 83
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/23/2019 4:21:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's happening near Riga. The Germans are so firmly across the river that trying to push them back would be futile. The units on the NW end of the front line show to be out of supply so I'm pretty sure there's Axis units moving north along the coast. My defenders have been overpowered and are giving ground and suffering huge losses. I've got to get busy and build a small MLR somewhere along the coast, one in the middle, and one on the road that leads north along the lake. I've blown a lot of bridges and set up some road blocks and strongpoints and I've started to fortify the area around Pskov because the Axis forces will soon be there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/26/2019 6:06:11 AM >

Post #: 84
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/26/2019 6:40:25 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on down south. I've been giving ground and breaking bridges and setting up road blocks and strong points and the Axis forces are advancing relentlessly. I've railed a few divisions down here but obviously not enough. I'm playing for time down here and so far it's been working but that could change any turn now. Early in the war the aircraft were in poor health and poor in supply and I parked them near Moscow to refit and here it is T8 and they feel a lot better and I've been sending them out to the field, they get chewed up and I move them back to Moscow to refit. It's a pattern now. I'm counting on the major rivers to hold up the Axis units for several turns. I need enough time to rail all the reinforcements to the front. I'm defending as far forward as is practical. I feel like I can afford the people and equipment. Although the losses are very heavy.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 85
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/26/2019 8:53:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm going through the OOB moving units and I've arrived at the aircraft and I'm parking them so that their range arc is just past the front lines so that they get into fewer furballs and I'm hoping that it will hold the number of losses down. More aircraft are ready to fly this turn so I've got quite a crowd to deploy. According to the aircraft losses meter I've lost about three times more aircraft than the Axis, ballpark figure. That's because the proficiency of my pilots is in the 20's and that's what is getting them killed. On the other hand I've got some units that are advancing in proficiency and they are in the 30's already. The trick is to preserve the units so that they are never evaporated because they grow in proficiency but reinforcements come in as "untried" and their proficiency is usually very low.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 86
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 3/3/2019 2:17:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

I got some new moves from Patrick, this is T9 and here's the northern front lines right now. My boys held on for another turn but on the NW end of the lines the Germans are blasting a hole and streaming troops through it. I need to rail some more troops over there to try to contain it. I think I have about a dozen divisions ready to rail and another 10 or so that need rest. There's about 40 aircraft resting and another 70 or so that I can deploy into the field. I've busted so many bridges that the Soviet supply near Riga is in the teens. I see from the image that the Axis rail reaches Riga and a little beyond so the Axis supply situation is probably outstanding. I drove my ships to just offshore of Riga because some of them have the range to influence the battles. I'm risking some aircraft attacks so I'd best fly some CAP down here to protect the ships. I'm expecting a lot more holes in these lines by this time next turn. So far defending forward is working just about the way I anticipated. Ordinarily the Axis units would be across the river and surging NE by T3 or so but the Soviets defending forward has seriously delayed the Axis advance. So far things here are almost manageable.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 87
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 3/3/2019 2:37:30 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on just south of the marshes. I'm giving ground, blowing bridges, backing up, leaving several roadblocks to delay the Axis flow going east. The Stalin Line is under terrific pressure and the Germans are finding gaps in the lines and are streaming through them especially at the north end. I'm seeing Axis aircraft in range of mine and I'm wondering if it's time to do some airfield strikes. I'll loose aircraft by the boat load but if I can just cause enough Axis losses to mitigate his AS value by a little bit for long enough I'm thinking, I can slowly gain air superiority. I feel like I can afford it better than he can because I'm producing aircraft faster then he is by a lot.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/3/2019 2:38:28 PM >

Post #: 88
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 3/3/2019 7:06:47 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a closeup of the area NE of Riga. The Germans are making progress near the coast and I'm having to rail people into that area to take up blocking positions to help stem the flow of Axis units headed north. So far I've been able to contain them but I don't expect to be able to hold very long. My units are getting surrounded and destroyed.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 89
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 3/4/2019 7:36:49 AM   
cpt flam

always Turn 9 but my point of view
in the AGN
next 2 turns, I will recover 2 divisions which were clearing Latvia
my indication for air losses was 54 vs 748 (to compare with Larry)

so far Ju 88 and He 111 are a bit low, they did not began with full complement either
fighters and Ju 87 are fine about replacement

Attachment (1)

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI