Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/21/2019 5:45:27 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Thank you for this AAR. This is great.

You're quite welcome. I'll try to make it more informative. I'm posting stuff in the AAR as it happens in my game so that you guys can find out what I'm finding as I find it. Like real time almost. Thanks for posting....that way I know somebody is reading this thing.

Here's a zoomed out view of the situation in the north. You can see the gaps in my screen and there's units in the line that aren't particularly strong and Patrick will have no trouble pushing them aside. I see that Patrick has brought his aircraft up close to the front and that airstrikes are a possibility either way. I've started dropping bridges on the roads heading north and east away from the river. I had a few fighters that were on the verge of being ready for combat and I deployed them anyway.

Attachment (1)

“The single greatest threat to our national security is our debt.” –Admiral Mike Mullen, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 31
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/21/2019 6:03:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've got a mechanized Corps holding positions around Pskov and it's got three divisions and right now I've got them babysitting the river crossings. I'm thinking that more people yet are needed to prevent the Axis units from leaping over the river and I've got some reinforcements headed this way. It takes two turns to get the reinforcements here from the far east and way down south in the Caucauas mountains. The rail from Moscow to Leningrad has short gaps but I have RR engineers hard at work on that. More gaps in the rail are found down south around the Kherson area. Patrick hasn't dropped any of my bridges by airstrikes and I'm wondering if he ever will start doing that. I would.

Attachment (1)

“The single greatest threat to our national security is our debt.” –Admiral Mike Mullen, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 32
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/21/2019 6:55:25 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on down south. Patrick has driven his units up against mine and he's begun his assaults and my units are being pushed backward and it looks like I'm going to have to continue giving way or else he will surround my guys. I'm just on the brink of being outflanked and a general pullback might be in order.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 33
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/21/2019 9:23:30 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a zoomed out view of the action in the south. Patrick has to cross several rivers down here and I intend to make him slow down to cross all of them. I've got at least three MLR's going up along the rivers and most of them are small ones around the crossings. I'm not very optimistic that my guys will be able to hold back the Axis advance for very long. There's too many weak spots and gaps in my lines. I expect him to just bulldoze his way through them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 34
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/21/2019 10:34:50 PM   
larryfulkerson

NorthEast of Odessa there's a place where the rail has gaps and I have my RR engineers hard at work to fix it. It'll help supply the Soviet units further to the west yet. It's of no benefit to the Axis because they have to fix the rail they capture 100%. Last turn I deployed a lot of fighters and fighter-bombers and this turn 3/4 of them are in reorg, 3/5 of them are yellow, 1/4 are red, 2 are ready to fly still and they were not in a lot of the action last turn. Obviously I need to pull all the planes out of the field, fix them and then deploy all of them at once again.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 35
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/22/2019 7:12:08 AM   
cpt flam

Larry, you can be cool.
Bridge attacks are not allowed by designer.

Post #: 36
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/22/2019 10:28:49 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpt flam
Larry, you can be cool.
Bridge attacks are not allowed by designer.

I seem to remember reading something about that now that you mention it. And I remember being dumbfounded because I can't imagine fighting a war without dropping at least one bridge. I have no idea what the thinking is behind that house rule; it must have something to do with game balance I guess.

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 37
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/26/2019 12:23:02 PM   
cpt flam

already 5th turn
bad news in the north
Riga hold against my assault, and then I suffer a failed proficiency check
same thing at Daugavpil, 8th Panzer repulsed opposition but did not advance
Dvina is crossed against a Tank division
Finally Liepaja is cleared of enemy

Attachment (1)

Post #: 38
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/26/2019 12:27:03 PM   
cpt flam

in the center
1st fort of Minsk Fortress is destroyed by 18th Motorized division
Sluck is in 18th Panzer hands

many Infantry divisions are traveling fast to keep contact

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 39
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/26/2019 12:30:40 PM   
cpt flam

AGS
Tarnopol is occupied

holes has been made in enemy lines
even with use of reserves and a strong artillery

this was a bloody turn but will open for later

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 40
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/26/2019 12:33:58 PM   
cpt flam

in Bessarabia

there is a strong defense in the south and north of my picture

the center has been shattered
operation begin to change rail ways

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 41
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/27/2019 8:42:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Patrick and I clicked past the combat replay because it takes so dad gumed long to watch it. Almost half an hour. But look how many attacks he did in his turn. I'll have to review them and see how badly I was hurt and look for weak spots now. I'm especially interested to see how often his aircraft participate in the festivities. And to see how badly my aircraft were mauled. I'm starting to get sizable groups of reinforcements. They always have only 1% of supply though so I have to let them rest on the railway for a turn or two first.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 42
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/28/2019 12:43:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

Riga still holds but Patrick has leapt the river and is forcing his way into my backfield. Riga is beside the point now that Patrick is across the river already. I don't know whether or not to try to surround the breech with units or just start pulling units back to the NE.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 43
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/29/2019 5:04:45 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a zoomed out view of the northern part of the battle. Axis forces have forced their way across the river and as a result I railed in some troops to try to nip this in the bud. I'm going to try to defend forward in order to buy enough time to permit the reinforcements to reach the front lines. I'm receiving boat-loads of troops each turn but they are supply poor ( 1% ) and need rest. About 1/3 of my aircraft are ready for combat and I've been deploying them forward and they get chewed up and I have to move them back to safety for refit.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 44
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/29/2019 9:18:08 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a section of the front lines being penetrated as the Axis units force their way across the river. I'm not quite ready for the Axis forces to be so close to this area as I haven't yet garrisoned all the river crossings. It's important to do that to slow him down. I expect him to blow a hole and roll up my lines sometime soon.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 45
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 10:06:35 AM   
cpt flam

after 6 turns of movement
Riga is finally taken with losses
many HQ and Artillery support them

Totenkopf try to move around the defense
crossing are "secured"
123 Infantry had to push a Rifle div embarked in train

Daugavpils is liberated by 8th Panzer and 290th Infantry

Attachment (1)

Post #: 46
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 10:12:12 AM   
cpt flam

in AGC
forts of Minsk has gone away (except 1)
at first view : a rifle corp is protecting the city

losses in troopers are about 7 divisions (but replacement mount to 6) not so bad
few vehicles losses
harder for planes as replacement are few and groups were not full at beginning

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 47
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 10:17:14 AM   
cpt flam

AGS
struggle continue around Tarnopol
i'm trying to create a hole and at least isolate some of them

LSSAH will be in position to use train for exploitation of opportunity

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 48
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 10:21:03 AM   
cpt flam

11th Army and Rumania

progress is made
i hope to isolate next turn the 2 rifle regiment entrenched

a bit to the north : rests of 2 Mountain divisions are isolated

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 49
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 10:29:27 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpt flam

in AGC
forts of Minsk has gone away (except 1)
at first view : a rifle corp is protecting the city

losses in troopers are about 7 divisions (but replacement mount to 6) not so bad
few vehicles losses
harder for planes as replacement are few and groups were not full at beginning

Historically Minsk fell on June 26th IIRC, but I see in the pic that it's July 9th and you have not captured it yet. You better pick up the pace!

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
WitE2 alpha tester

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 50
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 1:00:21 PM   
gliz2

Elmo
Historically the Germans were able to get the Soviets with pants down, but the TAOW has its limitations and FITE2 some design flows.
After some experimenting I have concluded that the two things would be needed to give the Germans a fighting chance:
1. 20% movement bias for 2 first turns
2. No Soviet movements on the Western Front in first turn (so they should be able to do exactly nada, not even blow a tinest of bridges up).
3. Not a must-have but it would be nice if all Brandenburgers could be paradroped (currently only 2 of 3 can be).
I think currently your only chance as German is push with Panzers and Mot Div east (bypassing any obstacles) following by half of infantry and the rest of infantry should do the moping up (the Soviets anyway will collaps after 4-5 turns of being cut off).

Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 51
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 8:28:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is what Minsk looks like now. I've been blowing bridges as I retreat to try to delay Patrick's advance as long as I can. The weather isn't cooperating with me as the skies are sunshiney and what I need is a lot of rain and thunderstorms and mud. That won't start happening until late October I'm thinking, and it's only July right now. I expect Patrick to destroy my Minsk defenders and approach the river in his next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gliz2)
Post #: 52
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 8:32:33 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: gliz2
Elmo
Historically the Germans were able to get the Soviets with pants down, but the TAOW has its limitations and FITE2 some design flows.
After some experimenting I have concluded that the two things would be needed to give the Germans a fighting chance:
1. 20% movement bias for 2 first turns
2. No Soviet movements on the Western Front in first turn (so they should be able to do exactly nada, not even blow a tinest of bridges up).
3. Not a must-have but it would be nice if all Brandenburgers could be paradroped (currently only 2 of 3 can be).
I think currently your only chance as German is push with Panzers and Mot Div east (bypassing any obstacles) following by half of infantry and the rest of infantry should do the moping up (the Soviets anyway will collaps after 4-5 turns of being cut off).

That sounds like a good plan to me. I don't usually watch the playback but this time I did and I must admit that I didn't get a lot of intelligence from it. The map is too big for that I think. And about the paratroopers...I think D21 has some kind of restriction on them too. I'm not sure why. It would be really handy if they were airborne for the duration of the game. The owner would be more careful using them I would bet.

Post #: 53
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 8:47:05 PM   
gliz2

Actually I'm seriously thinking of rellocating the Pz and Mot Divs with editor to be able to use all of them from the begining and to make the scenario more plausible. The problem with TAOW is it does not allow for movement and embarking in the same turn which in FITE2 is quite absurd.

Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.

Post #: 54
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 9:08:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

The Axis forces are pushing and shoving their way through my Stalin Line and have made at least one hole and it looks like there's not going to be a Stalin Line very long.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/1/2019 9:09:00 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/1/2019 9:13:41 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: gliz2
Actually I'm seriously thinking of rellocating the Pz and Mot Divs with editor to be able to use all of them from the begining and to make the scenario more plausible. The problem with TOAW is it does not allow for movement and embarking in the same turn which in FITE2 is quite absurd.

That's a good idea...a certain number of MP's to embark allowing movement and embarkation on the same turn. I guess the assumption now is that it would take the entire turn to embark. I think it really depends on the size of the unit and the size of the ship or railroad cars or aircraft or motorcycle sidecars or the number of bicycles or the number of transport trucks etc.

Post #: 56
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/2/2019 4:01:20 AM   
larryfulkerson

It looks like Patrick is concentrating on the north end of my Riga defenders and he's made some holes in my defense and his units are pushing and shoving and getting into my backfield. I'm going to have to pull back and get reorganized. I'm wondering if I should pivot the entire line of troops into a vertical line instead of along the river. Now that Patrick is across the river it's a footrace to Pskov.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 57
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/2/2019 3:42:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

Have I showed you the south front lines yet? The Rumanians are reaching the river and I'm wondering if I should start to pull back the Stalin Line troops to the south so they won't get cut off by the Rumanians moving east across the river. There's no way to prevent the Rumanians getting across the river and there's only a few defenders down there so it would be the thing for the Axis forces to do; to cut off and destroy the Stalin Line.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 58
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/2/2019 4:48:32 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've been parking the tired planes around Moscow and those reinforcements that are more than 1% supply are railed to Moscow too so that they can refit and gather their supply. Once they are combat ready I rail them out to the field to a spot where they are needed. I'll get better organized later. Right now I need their warm bodies on the front line in specific spots rather quickly and keeping the Armies together in the same spots is problematic at best. After the front lines have stabilized I'll put the Armies back together.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 59
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 2/3/2019 12:51:18 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is a view of the front lines down south and Patrick is pushing my units backward and getting into my backfield and I'm guessing that there won't be a Stalin Line in two turns or so. I'm moving units in the direction of Kiev just in case they might come in handy. Like a reserve.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI