Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/9/2019 4:28:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

Cpt Flam asked me for a game of FITE2 with me as the Soviets and I said yes of course. So Patrick is the Axis and here's his combat replay. There were 15K+ events in the playback. Patrick seems to know what he's doing and I think his first turn is one of the best I've seen. He reports that 2500 Soviet planes were evaporated. We're off to a good start.

Attachment (1)

“The single greatest threat to our national security is our debt.” –Admiral Mike Mullen, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
Post #: 1
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/9/2019 6:49:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've been flying the aircraft that will fly to the environs near Moscow and I'm stacking aircraft with the same range to the stack that has that range. Makes it easier to find the fighters and bombers later. I expect to have to rest them about 5 turns or so before they will turn green and regain their supply levels and become combat ready again.

Attachment (1)

“The single greatest threat to our national security is our debt.” –Admiral Mike Mullen, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/9/2019 7:49:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

My theater recon value is so low I can't see the Axis units unless I'm almost adjacent to them. Consequently there's not a lot of Axis units on this map. But you can get a rough idea where they are from all the blue dots. They are probably aimed at Minsk. I would be.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/9/2019 8:23:10 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've got a lot of ships at Sevastopol and I need to park them in a port and there's only three ports near S. so I'll have to stack them and I'm not all that comfortable with that. An aircraft could hit multiple ships in one strike. But I'd like to keep them together if possible. I'm planning on making some kind of SCTF to strike out at the Axis ships. And I'd like to catch some Axis planes near enough to the beach that I can bombard them. If worse comes to worse I can park them near Odessa for their support. I need to fly some fighters in to S. for a CAP to protect the ships. Stukas are deadly against the ships.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/9/2019 9:41:30 PM   
Teufeldk

In FITE2 Stukas are no more deadly to planes than most other planes.

That does not mean your ships are safe - just safer.

Regards
Kristian

Post #: 5
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/12/2019 3:47:44 PM   
cpt flam

as Larry offered me, i will post to.
my second turn saw liberation of Kaunas and Vilna.
At first glance, Stavka did not send orders to many units and we have to fight with them.
Here is a picture from AGC. I will free Bialystok from Russia next turn, after their isolation.
10th Army and a mechanized corp are there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Teufeldk)
Post #: 6
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/12/2019 3:55:26 PM   
cpt flam

And now about AGS.
Same thing for Lvov which will be cut from supply.
I like to use train for reinforcement to keep their supply and effectiveness high.

I have already losses in infantry equal to about 3 division.
Vehicles and artillery are not much impacted.
Air losses are fine but few replacement.
Soviet navy did an airfield bombardment against Bulgaria, which is much more friend with them ?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 7
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/13/2019 5:24:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

There were 12,360 events in Patrick's combat replay and it took about 15 minutes to watch the whole thing. But it was informative and I enjoyed it. Now I have to do my turn 2 magic and bust some bridges and start building an MLR somewhere. The first turn didn't have all that many units that I could move. I'm hoping to be able to move a lot more this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 8
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/13/2019 5:39:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

The first thing I do is hold down the period key to disembark everybody embarked on a train. Then I check out the aircraft and ground those that don't seem combat worthy. Too few airplanes will get a squadron grounded for a while. Red planes are flown to some high supply rest area to refill with planes and rest until they are green again. Konigsburg has multiple airfields in it's hex and the rail runs through there and I can park an HQ unit at a good spot to be adjacent to two airfields simultaneously to boost the two aircraft units a tiny bit. That's the theory. OKH is a good HQ to use for that.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/13/2019 5:42:02 AM   
larryfulkerson

The first thing I do is hold down the period key to disembark everybody embarked on a train. Then I check out the aircraft and ground those that don't seem combat worthy. Too few airplanes will get a squadron grounded for a while. Red planes are flown to some high supply rest area to refill with planes and rest until they are green again. Konigsburg has multiple airfields in it's hex and the rail runs through there and I can park an HQ unit at a good spot to be adjacent to two airfields simultaneously to boost the two aircraft units a tiny bit. That's the theory. OKH is a good HQ to use for that.

As you can see this bad boy has a proficiency of the high teens and that's not nearly high enough for combat. I need to park this guy in some back water area and use him for training. Too bad we can't disband airplanes. I wonder if there's a way to safely increase his proficiency? Making ground attacks against small enemy units? Lots of rest?

Post #: 10
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/13/2019 9:40:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Riga area looking south and I've been railing reinforcements to the riverbank and I'm going to get them to spread out and prevent Axis units from streaming over the river. Or at least harrass them. Patrick and his forces are advancing and will be at Riga soon and I need to be ready if possible. He's probably going to just run over my units and keep going. I've blown some bridges but not nearly enough yet.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/13/2019 11:02:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a zoomed out view of what's going on in the north. I've been railing in units until I ran out of rail cap and now they are marching to the sound of the guns and I'm starting to get quite a mob there. I might be able to defend pretty soon. I haven't found any arty to move there yet. I'm thinking of deploying some fighters to the Riga area to CAP and I've got some IL-4's that are green already....they can CS.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/14/2019 1:23:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

Down south the Axis forces are surrounding and destroying a lot of Soviet units just because they couldn't get away fast enough. A lot of them were in garrison mode and couldn't be moved. I've been busy blowing bridges and I've gotten started on an MLR of sorts. Well, maybe call it a light screen. I don't think I'm going to be able to flesh it out with units before the Axis units will arrive and that the Axis units will just slip through the gaps and get into the Soviet backfield and before long my units will all be surrounded and eventually destroyed. And the Soviets know this. Well, they knew what they were getting into when they signed up. I'm thinking of flying a few good fighters down here. I have some IL-4's that can reach this area from Moscow and I'm wondering if I should lay down some CS this turn. At least I THINK they can reach this area.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/16/2019 6:20:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is a view of the Stalin Line down south and you can see how I'm going to try to defend in depth and cause the Axis units to have to slow down to take care of all the Soviet units buying some time for my reinforcements to reach the front lines.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/16/2019 8:03:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a zoomed out view of the south and you can see the huge gap in the Soviet screen and that's where Patrick is headed. D'oh. I've got to move some units into that area and build a roadblock. Patrick will have units there before I get there probably.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/16/2019 10:41:13 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Riga area right now. You can see that Patrick's forces aren't very far away from my lines. He's going to arrive next turn most likely. I'm not quite ready yet, all the arty hasn't arrived yet, and there's some more units on their way that aren't here yet but I've put up a light screen at least. They are little more than roadblocks and won't hold very long. Another MLR is going to have to be built and quickly somewhere around Pskov. And more troops are needed yet arouind Narva, the bottleneck west of Leningrad. Maybe Riga will hold out longer than I expect and I can get more people here before he assaults my river defenders.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/16/2019 10:58:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

In a fit of bravado one of my HQ units stayed behind to blow bridges and now is the last unit to cross the bridge to safety. They are holding the bridge for him. Others of my units didn't make it all the way across the bridge and are being surrounded and killed as we speak. The Axis forces will be at the river soon and I'm not at all sure that my defenders are rested enough to hold their positions. I expect the Axis to cross this river with ease. I'm building an MLR at Orsha leading north and south from there, and I don't have but maybe 20% of the troops I need there. I really need to hold the Axis at these river crossings here to buy enough time for the reinforcements to reach Orsha and join the line.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/17/2019 10:15:32 AM   
cpt flam

so now my view of the front at the end of my third turn
in the north, i'm a bit late following many fights
Liepaja has not failed yet as a rifle div reinforced the garrison
for time being rail followed advance

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/17/2019 10:18:16 AM   
cpt flam

AGC
first units are closing toward Minsk

infantry are running but not enough to follow advance
usually Motorized create pockets and infantry come to clean

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 19
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/17/2019 10:21:19 AM   
cpt flam

AGS
same thing almost
Tarnopol is nearly reach

Stalin line become visible
some Soviets came to awake part of Rumania army

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 20
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/17/2019 12:43:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is what's happening around the Orsha area. Patrick's forces are getting closer to my MLR. I'm more ready than I was last turn but there's still gaps and weak spots and it's not quite ready for combat yet but I've brought up the arty and most of the first rank is in place. I'm really counting on my river crossings to hold for a couple of turns. I need to buy some time for the reinforcemets to reach the front lines. They spawn with 1% supply and are deeply red. So I dig them in where they are born and let them rest for a couple of turns. They need to be yellow to be moved. I've got about a dozen of them that are resting. I'm thinking about railing them to Moscow so I'll know where they are. I may need them early.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 21
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/20/2019 11:12:41 AM   
cpt flam

German view of my 4th turn

Liepaja continue to hold, but lost their comrades

we arrived in the suburbs of Riga
with 3 divisions (as noted on map)
another one arrived by rail as reinforcement

next turn the struggle will begin and more reinforcement from this turn will rail

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/20/2019 11:18:05 AM   
cpt flam

i noted axe of retreat as I failed early a proficiency check

Minsk is closer
I did not came closer, trying to avoid artillery shelling of my troops

airforce awake and for 28 of my airplanes, my pilots claim 800.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 23
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/20/2019 11:20:53 AM   
cpt flam

in AGS
2 more retreats
some units get shattered

they get a good defense around Tarnopol

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 24
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/20/2019 11:24:12 AM   
cpt flam

Rumania joined us to recover Bessarabia

the Prut is crossed in force
losses were sometime heavy but we needed to advance

72 Infantry arrived by rail from Ploesti

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 25
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/21/2019 8:56:48 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've been flying the tired planes to the Moscow area to rest and refit and I'm getting quite a collection. I don't think Patrick has any aircraft that can reach this far east so I'm thinking that the aircraft are safe here. The aircraft factories are busy pumping out planes and soon I'll outnumber the Axis air force and overwhelm it and gain air superiority. I'm thinking it'll take about 9 months or so to do this. So I'm thinking that the air war situation will turn around about March of '42 or so.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 26
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/21/2019 9:12:29 AM   
larryfulkerson

Speaking of aircraft, this is the losses so far and summerizes the state of the fleet. I'm especially disappointed in the IL-4's in that I have none on hand and have lost so many in the first couple of turns. Patrick must have targeted them specifically, especially on the first turn. The earliest models of fighters are going to disappear early in the war to be replaced by better performers so that's a good thing. Down toward the bottom of the list I'm seeing Axis planes and I'm wondering if they belong there. I suppose so.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 27
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/21/2019 9:23:29 AM   
Teufeldk

The Axis planes do belong there.

You will get them when Romania and Bulgaria surrenders and join you instead.

Regards
Kristian

Post #: 28
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/21/2019 9:31:45 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what Riga looks like now and these are the only Axis units visible in the north part of the front lines. So far Riga is holding out and I'm hoping it's able to hold back the Axis forces for a turn or two. That will buy more time for reinforcements to reach this area. I need an MLR somewhere just east of here. Or at the very least a screen or some roadblocks or both. I expect more Axis units to appear adjacent to the river further south of the visible ones. I'm wondering how long ( how many turns ) it will take for Patrick to repair the rail all the way up to Riga. It looks like he's almost there now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 29
RE: FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets - 1/21/2019 3:01:27 PM   
Rusty1961

Thank you for this AAR. This is great.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> FITE2 Cpt Flam Axis, Larry Soviets Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI