Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steam early access games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Steam early access games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steam early access games - 1/6/2019 5:44:39 PM   
GaryChildress

What do others think of this feature on Steam. I've bought a number of "early access" games and so far most are pretty enjoyable but there are a few in my inventory which I paid for and they've been in EA for years and a couple of them are largely unplayable due to unfinished features or from the last patch which basically broke the game and hasn't been patched again for months.

Does Steam have a policy regarding these games which developer have to adhere to or is it entirely "buyer beware?"

< Message edited by GaryChildress -- 1/6/2019 6:09:07 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Steam early access games - 1/6/2019 11:15:45 PM   
demyansk

I decided not to buy early access

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 2
RE: Steam early access games - 1/7/2019 12:14:06 AM   
shunwick

There is a big blue box at the top of the store page just under the video. This is what it says:-

Early Access Game

"Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development."

So, you are buying an incomplete game that may or may not ever be finished. You are warned of this.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 1/7/2019 12:15:05 AM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 3
RE: Steam early access games - 1/7/2019 5:12:36 PM   
Red2112

There are some games that do have a long stay in EA status but are more then playable. That is because some devs will evolve the game as long as thereīs interest in the game and/or the community request more content. For example "Rimworld", it has just got out of EA but itīs been in development for the past five years, and as such playable. At itīs current state (full release) it has a user rank of 95 on Steam. Some games will stay in development as long as the dev wants to keep working on it, and that dosent mean itīs not finished in itīs game core mechanics. "UnReal World" has been in the works for 23 years, and itīs playable. "Dwarf Fortress" came out in 2006 and itīs still in the works and playable. "Stardew Valley" has been in development since 2012, and so on...

I understand that there has been ALOT of games in EA that have not delivered what they promised, but you do have to really know what games can be the right ones to support, by that I mean you have to do some research. In any way am I saying that EA hasent burnt me more then once, what Iam saying is that some games as I metioned above, can be very playable and have been very successful games in there EA status, you just have to be careful on which games you decided to support in EA. The nature of some games and devs is to keep on evolving/adding to it so itīs not like itīs a bad thing. Itīs those who have abused and/or abandon there project who have burnt the community and not the fact that the game was on EA.

The words "early access" do scare off alot of people, but if you think that for example, a flight sim, as "Prepar3D" by Lockeed Martin of which I bought itīs v2.5, and that now itīs on v4.4, would you think itīs on EA? I will add that on each version they added/fixed things, one then might be familiar with that process for it being similar to EA right? All other flight sims follow that same path, and the same goes with "Steel Beast", as well as many other games be them full releases or EA, they fix things, add things and break things, call it EA or what you fancy, but as hardware and software evolve, so do games, thus some care is needed for them to keep up with users and specs of todays demands.

Just my two cents...

Red

--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 1/7/2019 5:20:28 PM >

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, EVGA GTX 1070ti 8GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB SSDīs, LG 29' Ultrawide 21:9 monitor Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 4
RE: Steam early access games - 1/7/2019 7:04:57 PM   
vonRocko

"Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further."

Never ever will I buy a game (or anything else for that matter) that has that warning attached. Early Access is code for suckers wanted.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 5
RE: Steam early access games - 1/7/2019 7:53:47 PM   
budd

I had pretty good luck with early access games.Mainly I go EA on survival games, 7 days to die, The Forest, Pamela, Subnautica, Empryion, all those worked out pretty well for me. I research a bit and as long as there is enough content when I buy into it, I take my chances, so far, so good. The one game I went EA on that really didn't deliver was "Sir, you are being Hunted" didn't really change a whole lot and not much was added before release, just not enough meat on the bone.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 6
RE: Steam early access games - 1/7/2019 8:06:31 PM   
zakblood

i also have more than a few in my steam list, can't say i play them as much as i should, but when i do i feel it's worth it, with some very long term and most being well done, only a odd one i feel was poor, but then again most think the time scale of EA is weeks not months or years so most have no idea on what they are getting into with some of the EA on steam, for me it's been a good experience imo and worth it and yes i'd keep doing them and support those developer who wish to go down the same route

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 7
RE: Steam early access games - 1/8/2019 11:06:18 PM   
Rising-Sun

Most these early games going to have problems, unless they have time and skills to finish it. Of course most will want your money before continue to do so.

Like that Star Citizen, money and more money for that game. Look interesting, but they are slow as hell and already pissed off a lot of people.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: Steam early access games - 1/9/2019 1:35:10 AM   
goodwoodrw

One other issue with early access is early access price and release price rarely differs, and my biggest bug bare is purchasable DLCs before the final completed product.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 9
RE: Steam early access games - 1/9/2019 2:01:23 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

One other issue with early access is early access price and release price rarely differs

At least we don't need to pay both
Or I haven't paid so.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 10
RE: Steam early access games - 1/9/2019 3:40:06 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

What do others think of this feature on Steam. I've bought a number of "early access" games and so far most are pretty enjoyable but there are a few in my inventory which I paid for and they've been in EA for years and a couple of them are largely unplayable due to unfinished features or from the last patch which basically broke the game and hasn't been patched again for months.

Does Steam have a policy regarding these games which developer have to adhere to or is it entirely "buyer beware?"

I have a few Early Access games. Not really had any problems. Ashes of the Singularity is one that really stands out. Got the first Ashes as EA and then was given Escalation and some DLCs without even asking about it. Maybe everyone got them for free. Can't say I've ever been ripped off.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 11
RE: Steam early access games - 1/9/2019 3:46:04 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well I got a some too, few are far behind and probably wont make it. Even got star citizen too, that a biggest projects I ever seen with very huge donation going on and a lot of fans out there trying to get their money back. Note star citizen isn't on steam, gotta google that one.

I have high hope for Star Citizen, as Squadron 42 whatever that is. Look almost as the real thing, except gonna need an high end pc to run it.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 12
RE: Steam early access games - 1/9/2019 4:54:34 PM   
Red2112

I supported Star Citizen since day 1, in other words since there kickstart in 2012. I have just recently been able to play it a bit, and that is due to my upgrade to 16GB of ram and a GTX1060, although it stutters a bit still.

I donīt agree how SC, or Mr Chris Roberts has marketed his little dream, because one thing is that you support a dev/game and another is that the game hasent been playable for alot of backers with lower end PC and/or poor optimized netcode among other issues SC has gone through for quite some years! When Chris did his kickstart, there was no word about users needing high end PCīs, without mentioning that on kickstart it was stated that SC would be finished in 2015. Not playable for some but shipīs have been desing and sold ever since kickstart, and I wont get into prices of these eyecandy ships, so itīs been a money grab ever since day one. That for me is the WORST case of EA of them all! You not only support the dev, but you also need a new PC to do so!!!

If one supports a game in EA but the game dosentīwork as intended in itīs core, and thatīs how itīs been for years, then that really burns you as a supporter.

Red

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, EVGA GTX 1070ti 8GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB SSDīs, LG 29' Ultrawide 21:9 monitor Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 13
RE: Steam early access games - 1/10/2019 8:23:35 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I decided not to buy early access

+1 Same here. I've gotten some good early access games, but I've also gotten quite a few stinkers.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 14
RE: Steam early access games - 1/11/2019 2:25:32 AM   
dougo33

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red2112

I supported Star Citizen since day 1, in other words since there kickstart in 2012. I have just recently been able to play it a bit, and that is due to my upgrade to 16GB of ram and a GTX1060, although it stutters a bit still.

I donīt agree how SC, or Mr Chris Roberts has marketed his little dream, because one thing is that you support a dev/game and another is that the game hasent been playable for alot of backers with lower end PC and/or poor optimized netcode among other issues SC has gone through for quite some years! When Chris did his kickstart, there was no word about users needing high end PCīs, without mentioning that on kickstart it was stated that SC would be finished in 2015. Not playable for some but shipīs have been desing and sold ever since kickstart, and I wont get into prices of these eyecandy ships, so itīs been a money grab ever since day one. That for me is the WORST case of EA of them all! You not only support the dev, but you also need a new PC to do so!!!

If one supports a game in EA but the game dosentīwork as intended in itīs core, and thatīs how itīs been for years, then that really burns you as a supporter.

Red

I agree. I have backed Star Citizen since the beginning and had the same issue as you of needing a new PC to even try it out. Once I got the new PC a few years down the road, I was underwhelmed based on what is/was promised. I had a bad feeling when I backed it initially, but I did not listen to my gut. Live and learn.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 15
RE: Steam early access games - 1/11/2019 7:25:19 AM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: dougo33

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red2112

Red

I agree. I have backed Star Citizen since the beginning and had the same issue as you of needing a new PC to even try it out. Once I got the new PC a few years down the road, I was underwhelmed based on what is/was promised. I had a bad feeling when I backed it initially, but I did not listen to my gut. Live and learn.

Remember reading something that will be out by 2020, but got a feeling that will be Beta. So much cash giving to them and wanted some more. Sure are greedy, least someone doesn't do nothing for free anymore.

Back in the old days, like late 80's onward, you gotta figure it out yourself and get helps if needed before it release to the market. So many games are starting to get alpha stage for fund raising, but there no telling if they will succeed or not.

(in reply to dougo33)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Steam early access games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI