Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beginner Question+Suggestion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Beginner Question+Suggestion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beginner Question+Suggestion - 12/26/2018 4:14:03 AM   
Mevennos

Hello! I'm brand new to the whole 'grognard' type war games, before this the most complex I'd played is HoI4. Please forgive any moronic remarks/questions. I would also just like to warn you that this is gonna be kind of a long post... Sorry (not sorry).

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks now absorbing as much info as possible (Holy cow was this game a fire hydrant and a half?) and have seen many helpful threads. However, I have run into a couple issues that I'd like some advice on. In my campaign as Japan (I like production management and a challenge) and the Allied AI simply does not employ the use of warships heavier than CLs at all. I tag switch over to the Allied team from time to time to try and learn more about what effects I have through certain actions and all of his CVs, BBs, and all but a handful of CAs are docked on the west coast/pearl harbor (or the British equivalencies).

It's February 23rd(ish) '42 on Scenario 2 and I'm still sieging Singapore and Bataan. Bataan should be falling within a week, but Singapore definitely needs more work. I have just captured Noumea and am working on developing it and Rabaul into forward bases. But I've been harassing allied shipping into Australia with my carriers for several weeks now with amazing results and I'm getting no response, no repercussions. There's no challenge.

So I guess my question here is, is this normal? Right now I've sank almost 200 ships with only about 40 losses, all of which are small patrol craft or merchants from Allied subs. I know historically the first CV battle was in May, so maybe I'm expecting too much in the opening stages, but I was expecting more than just sitting in harbor while I'm caught up in Singapore and Bataan. I feel safe enough to sortie all six of my large carriers through the shipping lane between Pearl and San Diego and not suffer more than a few dozen aircraft losses due to Ops. Will this change? If so, when?

Second, I wanted an opinion on what kind of scenario/mods I should get and start using. I've seen several mods in my travels here on the forums, and some of them do look interesting (Like RA), but I often find no explanation on what the mod does or what the scenario actually changes. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my desires. Here is what I'm looking for. (Btw, I run Version 1.7.1.24 Not sure if there's a more recent version or not!)

-Allied AI. No PBEM for me; I'm busy with school and hopefully joining the Navy after I graduate next semester, I don't want to ditch someone as soon as '42 ends. So good AI (or at least as close to it) is high priority.

-Strengthened Japan. I like the challenge of being the underdog, but I don't like a one sided beat down once we reach '44 and I lose my few CVs. I know it's deeply ahistorical, and impossible IRL, but this is a game. I want a chance to actually stand up to the Allies and not be their plaything once they start assembly line producing the Essex class.

And that's about it. A quiet China/no soviets would be nice, but are secondary since I'm in it primarily for naval warfare.

Thanks for all your help guys, this forum has been an invaluable resource of info so far! Have a great day.
Post #: 1
RE: Beginner Question+Suggestion - 12/26/2018 7:03:35 AM   
Alfred

1.  Official scenarios usually have up to 13 possible AI scripts.  The script is chosen by the AI at the time the scenario is chosen and will not be replaced by another script for the duration of that game.

2.  Scripts are prewritten.  You are not playing against an interactive AI which react

3.  Japanese AI scripts generally provide much stiffer competition than do Allied AI scripts.  If the primary aim is to have a challenging game against a computer opponent, you have chosen poorly.

4.  The historical situation as at 7 December 1941, in terms of force structures and capabilities, was very asymmetrical.  The Japanese held both the initiative and the better assets (force concentration, quality of units, combat experience etc).  All this is well represented in the game.  It is also much easier to translate this into challenging scripts.

5.  The script writer can identify bases for early Japanese capture and subsequent defence.  A similar approach for an Allied script is not possible; how can the writer identify every possible human Japanese player's actions through 1942.  Rather than frittering away the limited Allied assets on operations which are probably irrelevant to the actual game situation the safest course of action is to essentially postpone a general Allied counterattack until 1943 when substantial reinforcements and significant qualitative improvements arrive.  Until then it is primarily nuisance activity using disposable Allied assets.

6.  This game is very much built on logistics.  You may think regularly sailing the KB to the American West Coast is good play but you are incurring opportunity costs plus consuming materiel in pursuit of illusory goals which aid the enemy.

7.  You have picked the wrong game to play if you think this is a naval game.  It is a combined arms game built on logistics.  It requires adopting a sound strategy, not seeking tactical solutions.

8.  As to production management, managing the Allied side is in itself quite a significant task especially for someone new to the genre.  HOI4 is not a good learning experience for this game, neither in unit play nor in logistics.  Handling Allied industry and logistics is far more complicated than anything found in HOI4.

Alfred  

(in reply to Mevennos)
Post #: 2
RE: Beginner Question+Suggestion - 12/26/2018 4:07:40 PM   
rms1pa

what alfred said.

i play against the ijn ai. trying to avoid allied errors , deploying the limited allied assets , stinging the ijn without losing assets. building the jumpoff points for future ops in a sane manner . the first 6 months of the war is punishing for the allies.

keep in mind almost every thing in the dei/abda area are walking dead . saving anything is a win for me.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Beginner Question+Suggestion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI