Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/20/2018 7:09:27 PM   
specie1

How can i tell which zero pilots in TRACOM are from my carriers and which ones are from land based units?

if i select a pilot from TRACOM that was originally from a land based unit can he fly from a carrier? Will he crash his plane on landing more often?
Post #: 1
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/20/2018 7:12:57 PM   
geofflambert

Carrier training is a function of squadrons, not pilots. They are not identified and you needn't worry about it.

(in reply to specie1)
Post #: 2
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/20/2018 7:14:15 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: specie1

How can i tell which zero pilots in TRACOM are from my carriers and which ones are from land based units?

if i select a pilot from TRACOM that was originally from a land based unit can he fly from a carrier? Will he crash his plane on landing more often?

As far as I know, only the units themselves are 'carrier capable' or 'carrier trained'. I don't believe that information is stored on a pilot by pilot basis. Thus, an IJNAF A6M2 LBA pilot can become an IJNAF A6M2 CV pilot with no penalty.

(in reply to specie1)
Post #: 3
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/20/2018 7:17:23 PM   
geofflambert

Similarly, the number of "kills" attributed to a squadron has nothing to do with how many kills the pilots in the squadron at any given time have. It is the number of kills recorded by pilots who were in the squadron at the time the kill was recorded. There is no record for any pilot as to whether they have carrier experience or not.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/20/2018 7:18:09 PM   
specie1

what a fantastic forum and a bunch of great people.

thanks for the prompt and helpful answer.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/20/2018 8:40:38 PM   
adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Carrier training is a function of squadrons, not pilots. They are not identified and you needn't worry about it.

Ufortunatly;

still don't understand why Henderson field guys did not fix it;

Even Gary himself;

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 6
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/20/2018 10:17:04 PM   
Dili

Yep, there are a couple more, you can't restricted troops move by ship even between cities on same command, you can fly at night with a 40 experience pilot without much or even if any penalty.

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 7
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/21/2018 1:27:36 AM   
Capt Hornblower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

...you can fly at night with a 40 experience pilot without much or even if any penalty.

You mean, besides the fact that there will be a much higher chance of operational losses for such a pilot?

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 8
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/21/2018 6:28:38 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Yep, there are a couple more, you can't restricted troops move by ship even between cities on same command, you can fly at night with a 40 experience pilot without much or even if any penalty.

You can only fly light equipment to other bases. This prevents moving fully equipped divisions by air. To prevent them moving too soon by ship, the Political Point system is necessary. The developers wanted to slow the pace of Allied and Japanese deployments to approximate what they achieved historically.

If the restricted units could load on ships that were slated to go to another base in the same command, what's to stop the player from changing the ship's destination enroute?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 9
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/21/2018 11:28:28 AM   
adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

If the restricted units could load on ships that were slated to go to another base in the same command, what's to stop the player from changing the ship's destination enroute?

We already had this discussion;
the ship could be forbidden to unload at the unlawful location;

devs preferred not to do so; I honestly don't like it at all;

Japan cannot unload anything in Hokkaido; nor from China to China; restricted allied cannot move from one Indonesian island to another;
prefer to unrestrict all interested units through editor, and then self impose rule not to deploy them out of their Hq's theter of competence;

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/21/2018 6:05:51 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

quote:

quote:

Japan cannot unload anything in Hokkaido; nor from China to China; restricted allied cannot move from one Indonesian island to another;
prefer to unrestrict all interested units through editor, and then self impose rule not to deploy them out of their Hq's theter of competence;

Agreed, it would be better if such movement was available, but it would require another layer of programming to check all the units in the TF vs the base ownership and comparing HQs. As I understand it, the few coders they had were hard pressed to get things done and this is one of those things that didn't get done in time. C'est la jeux de guerre!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 11
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/21/2018 6:59:18 PM   
Dili

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

quote:

...you can fly at night with a 40 experience pilot without much or even if any penalty.

You mean, besides the fact that there will be a much higher chance of operational losses for such a pilot?

Yes,
It could be made even worse there are many tales of squadron getting lost and with heavy causalities in Pacific.

quote:

quote:

You can only fly light equipment to other bases. This prevents moving fully equipped divisions by air. To prevent them moving too soon by ship, the Political Point system is necessary. The developers wanted to slow the pace of Allied and Japanese deployments to approximate what they achieved historically.

Like adarbrauner said is that we can't move a Chinese division from Peiping to Canton except by land. Neither reinforce by air.

(in reply to Capt Hornblower)
Post #: 12
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/23/2018 12:59:44 AM   
geofflambert

If it was allowed you might as well not have restrictions, the amount of coding necessary to prevent this but not that would be prohibitive. For example, once a ship is at sea, how would the game prevent the cargo from being unloaded in the wrong place? One thing I don't like is captured bases being assigned to HQs based on the capturing units, I guess. Making it necessary to use PPs to assign them to the correct HQs. Perhaps it would not be too complicated for the game to ask the owning player to assign an HQ before the AI arbitrarily assigns the base to the wrong HQ. Mix a few US troops into the Indian Ocean theatre and you'll see bases getting an American flag for very little reason at all.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 13
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/24/2018 5:53:19 AM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

Ufortunatly;

Even Gary himself;

Fix what? What exactly is broken which can only be remedied with a fix?

This post is just another one of your interminable posts where you invent a problem allegedly created by the devs who on purpose failed to resolve it. In all cases your comments clearly imply incompetence on the part of the devs. Particularly so when you state that "Even Gary himself" ... and leave unsaid what Gary (BTW Gary who) did say (maybe that night follows day) or when (considering he was not involved in developing AE at all).

Alfred

Post #: 14
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/24/2018 6:09:38 AM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

quote:

Now you say "We already had this discussion". Who was involved in the discussion; other ignorant people about game coding and design like yourself? For if you had really read what the devs had said on the subject you would not be making such slanderous comments.

The AE game engine can not support allowing restricted units boarding ships.

The devs tried many different coding solutions within the game engine but could not make any of them work without leaving holes which allowed players to abuse and cheat the system.

Here is a very simple abuse which is very obvious to anyone with half a brain. Load a restricted unit and you can unload it on a costal non base hex. Try to fix that then creates problems for legitimate Amphibious TF unloading. It also has ramifications with the existing swamp terrain hex restrictions. It can also lead to difficulties in unloading a TF carrying a mixture of unrestricted/restricted troops (in both cargo and troop space) and supplies in cargo space.

Alfred

Post #: 15
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/25/2018 11:14:01 AM   
adarbrauner

The discussion was with you as well, some less than two years ago, on the same lines;
I don't buy the explanations. I buy that it may be complicated but not unfeasable;

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 16
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/25/2018 11:15:09 AM   
adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

quote:

Ufortunatly;

Even Gary himself;

Fix what? What exactly is broken which can only be remedied with a fix?

This post is just another one of your interminable posts where you invent a problem allegedly created by the devs who on purpose failed to resolve it. In all cases your comments clearly imply incompetence on the part of the devs. Particularly so when you state that "Even Gary himself" ... and leave unsaid what Gary (BTW Gary who) did say (maybe that night follows day) or when (considering he was not involved in developing AE at all).

Alfred

Come on!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 17
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/25/2018 11:20:14 AM   
adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Here is a very simple abuse which is very obvious to anyone with half a brain. Load a restricted unit and you can unload it on a costal non base hex. Try to fix that then creates problems for legitimate Amphibious TF unloading. It also has ramifications with the existing swamp terrain hex restrictions. It can also lead to difficulties in unloading a TF carrying a mixture of unrestricted/restricted troops (in both cargo and troop space) and supplies in cargo space.

Alfred

No no no way. Every hex has a code, related to the "area" or nation, even non base;

Please....

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 18
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/25/2018 4:51:15 PM   
Chickenboy

adarbrauner,

As far as I know you can change all of the things you're proposing through the use of the editor. You can certainly give yourself infinite PPs to move all manner of units or re-position them accordingly from the get go. I'm a novice with the editor, but it would surprise me if you couldn't change all LCUs to unrestricted ones at game start in your own personal mod. The editor affords significant flexibility to do as you see fit without the calls on the developers / programmers to make your game for you.

Post #: 19
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/26/2018 2:29:41 PM   
adarbrauner

Not evertything can be done through editor,

this is not of course a personal attack or denigration of developers of AE, is spite of the high usual nerves of Mr Alfred,

and the issue is pretty simple IMO,

and yes ceirtanly positivive critics and feedbacks are needed and praiseworthy to get a thing, in this case this wargame, be bettered and developed

instead of stillness, immobilism and intimidation

P.S.: why to use editor and make changes? the wargame is perfect as it is.....

< Message edited by adarbrauner -- 12/26/2018 3:43:05 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/27/2018 1:08:52 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Not evertything can be done through editor,

this is not of course a personal attack or denigration of developers of AE, is spite of the high usual nerves of Mr Alfred,

and the issue is pretty simple IMO,

and yes ceirtanly positivive critics and feedbacks are needed and praiseworthy to get a thing, in this case this wargame, be bettered and developed

instead of stillness, immobilism and intimidation

P.S.: why to use editor and make changes? the wargame is perfect as it is.....

The companies that developed and marketed the games have stopped supporting it for sound economic reasons. That means the changes you want to see are not going to come from them, and copywrite issues mean that the code will not be given away for others to make changes. Until someone buys the rights to the game and hires programmers, there will be no changes in the way the game engine works.
There it is, and all the wishing and griping is for naught. We all have to live with it and just enjoy the thousands of things that make it still a great game.

Post #: 21
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/27/2018 4:07:46 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Until someone buys the rights to the game and hires programmers, there will be no changes in the way the game engine works.

But changes may still be made if MichaelM ever comes back.

Maybe he's like 'Beetlejuice' and if we all say his name three times he'll appear.

OK, here we go... One..., two..., three...

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 22
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/27/2018 4:12:59 PM   
rustysi

quote:

And these were done to a level I've seen in no other game by the above mentioned MichaelM. Have you ever gone back and attempted to play the original unpatched version of this game? I have, and I must say if not for the improvements I seriously doubt that I'd still be playing.

Thanks for the efforts Mr. M.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 23
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/27/2018 4:33:23 PM   
Korvar

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Thanks for the efforts Mr. M.

+1M

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 24
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/28/2018 1:53:54 AM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

Until someone buys the rights to the game and hires programmers, there will be no changes in the way the game engine works.

But changes may still be made if MichaelM ever comes back.

Maybe he's like 'Beetlejuice' and if we all say his name three times he'll appear.

OK, here we go... One..., two..., three...

It doesn't matter how many virgins are sacrificed it isn't going to happen. There is consistently some misunderstanding of the role played by michaelm75. BBfanboy is on the right track regarding the situation.

Michaelm75 did not continue supporting AE by himself as a solo effort. For years after AE's mid 2009 release, the game continued to be supported by both Henderson Field Group (the developer) and Matrix (the publisher). Almost all the betas "produced" by michaelm75 were ultimately upgraded to official patch status. Most of the coding was done by michaelm75 but some of the coding was done by the other primary Henderson coders although over time the other coders left the project for various reasons. Betas were generally tested by Henderson before they were released publicly and subsequently incorporated into official patches.

What was ultimately released to the public was only part of the work which was undertaken behind the scenes. Certainly the extent of the work undertaken was very much driven by michaelm75's energy and effort but his was not a solo effort. By the time the 5th and 6th official patches were released the only dedicated programmer left by the developers and the publisher to support the game was michaelm75. You will find the very limited post 6th official patch betas is the only real solo work undertaken by him and even then an eye towards a final official patch would have been in mind and thereby justify michaelm75 undertaking the solo work.

I can see only one situation arising which would interest the publisher to authorise investing any further effort in supporting the game. That situation has nothing to do with the availability/return of michaelm75 and without that development which is independent of coding efforts, no further coding authorisation would be authorised. Even then no fundamental recoding would be contemplated. Don't hold your breath in expectation and don't bother sacrificing any virgins.

Alfred

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 25
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/28/2018 1:58:08 AM   
adarbrauner

quote:

And these were done to a level I've seen in no other game by the above mentioned MichaelM. Have you ever gone back and attempted to play the original unpatched version of this game? I have, and I must say if not for the improvements I seriously doubt that I'd still be playing.

The words remind me of the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIPxlFzDi0

don't know even why, must be because of the tiredness

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 26
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/28/2018 2:48:33 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

The words remind me of the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIPxlFzDi0

don't know even why, must be because of the tiredness

This one would equally apply ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkGrkNu6mDg

Post #: 27
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/28/2018 1:22:35 PM   
specie1

I would like to submit this thread as my entry in the FURTHERMOST AFIELD HIJACKED THREAD EVER!

Would you believe this started with a simple question about selecting pilots from TRACOM?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 28
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/28/2018 3:01:49 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: specie1

I would like to submit this thread as my entry in the FURTHERMOST AFIELD HIJACKED THREAD EVER!

Would you believe this started with a simple question about selecting pilots from TRACOM?

The thread for judging the most Off-Off-Topic thread was unfortunately taken off topic itself.

(in reply to specie1)
Post #: 29
RE: Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM - 12/29/2018 5:07:21 PM   
rustysi

quote:

It doesn't matter how many virgins are sacrificed it isn't going to happen.

Geez, it was just a joke.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Selecting Zero pilots from TRACOM Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI