Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Narrative tools

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Narrative tools Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Narrative tools - 12/19/2018 5:53:18 PM   
Cabido

I've touched this point in another thread, but I'm willing to insist on it, since the solution seems to be simple (I may be wrong, though).

Most wargamers don't mind what is usually called chrome. Some (me included) like chrome. I don't have the time to create scenarios, due to the intensive research and design efforts involved, if a good quality scenario is the goal. I would like to work on some historical "chrome" for existing scenarios though. It's a way to learn about historical facts while giving a contribution. But TOAW has a lack of tools to create narrative, which is a great flaw, considered the intense narrative involved in today's games. Two simple triggers and one event would be a big step forward: a trigger for units entering a specific hex independently of ownership and a trigger for the first time one moves a unit after the beginning turn for the event, both of which would cause a pop up window with text (unlimited in terms of characters). This would allow to bring up historical facts about units and places involved during the game, creating atmosphere. Obviously, an option would allow players to turn it off, like the combat report window.

If mere chrome doesn't seem to be a sufficient reason, just think about the more pragmatical effect of being able to present info about rules and house rules during the game. As it is, I usually take note of house rules and events on a sheet of paper in order to prevent having to search them in the briefing now and then when a game is taking long to finish. Suppose one has a house rule establishing that a unit can't get further than a certain hex row. When entering this row, the house rule could be presented again in order to remind the player of imposed restrictions. Players could be remembered of programmed withdrawals when activating a unit, of future events triggered by capturing an hex and so on. I think it wouldn't hurt to have such tool, even if one is indifferent to chrome.

Take a look at this video. It's nice when the guy brings historical facts about some units involved; it helps creating atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9MJTMYfdRk&list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmPAfP98DoSPh1IuO0J_c_a8
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Narrative tools Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI