Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry Allies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry Allies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry Allies - 12/19/2018 8:07:43 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is the island of Malta and the British are defending against an Italian invasion with a little help from the Germans and my British units are defending mostly around the ports on the island. This is the scenario "C3" and Matt is the Italians and he's got 37 6-hour turns to capture the island using his paratroops and leg units. He's got some ships that I'll have to contend with and a boat-load of aircraft and this should be interesting. This is my first time through this scenario so it'll be a learning experience for me.

Attachment (1)

"Am I in hell? I thought there would be more country western music."
Paulogia, 2019
Post #: 1
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/19/2018 4:48:39 PM   
larryfulkerson

Matt has flown some of his paratroopers onto the islands of Malta in the middle of the night and I'll have to deal with them before he lands some more paratroops next turn. Those that landed in the smaller island...I'm wondering how they are going to leave the island now.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/19/2018 7:41:40 PM   
mdanz

Maybe they don't plan on leaving?....:)

Post #: 3
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/19/2018 8:36:57 PM   
John B.

Are there any victory objectives on the small island?

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 4
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/20/2018 12:32:46 AM   
mdanz

actually no..

< Message edited by mdanz -- 12/20/2018 12:34:38 AM >

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 5
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/20/2018 3:00:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

It's turn 3 and Matt has landed some German troops on the island and it seems that they are pushing for a port. I'm guessing they won't be in supply unless and until they have a port. I could be wrong. If the British are going to have to fight with what they have right now they may not be able to hold onto the island.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 6
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/20/2018 3:58:03 AM   
mdanz

So the first Italian counters on the board are Saboteurs. There's six companies. I split them up and tried to use them to destroy four coastal gun emplacements and disrupt an airfield loaded with Spitfires and Hurricanes.(I thought that would add 5pts to my supply stockpile but I don't think it did.Misread how the scenario works on that I think). Anyways, the Saboteurs destroyed one of four gun emplacements and disrupted the airfield with about 4.5/6 counters wiped out.
The pre-dawn wave was supposed to isolate then wreck Penbroke fort and remove those coastal guns as well as take an airfield and attack the British supply dump at Zepuj. I also used about a hundred Fiats to attack a Battle cruiser sitting off Jafa Beach.
All of the attacks failed and were repulsed with heavy loss. Not a single hit registered on the Battle cruiser and about twenty five Fiats crashed into the sea.
So far so good!

Post #: 7
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/20/2018 10:15:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

All of the attacks failed and were repulsed with heavy loss. Not a single hit registered on the Battle cruiser and about twenty five Fiats crashed into the sea

Yeah, but all my carrier borne aircraft are gutted now. Not much good for anything except maybe recon missions. I'm thinking of moving the carriers somewhere out of the way now that they have done their job and aren't combat ready any longer. That BattleCruiser that you were attacking over and over is now red and needs to retire because red ships can't shoot; my self-imposed traffic light rules.

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 8
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/20/2018 2:58:05 PM   
mdanz

Oh...
NICE!

Post #: 9
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/21/2018 9:26:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's T4 and Matt has landed another 15 or so Italian paratroopers and the British situation just got worse. During the playback I saw my ships getting bombarded and I can understand Matt trying to sink them because they provide good support on the beach. Plus, I'm hoping they can defeat the Italian ships if they ever show up.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 10
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/21/2018 9:31:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

Even more bad news. I got for reinforcements this turn, one small ship that's in reserve still. Great. Plus, it looks like all my decoy units are going to disappear in T6. At least I won't have to worry about moving them any longer. The world is holding it's breath while the contest goes on.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 11
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/22/2018 3:48:24 PM   
mdanz

So the Paratroopers and saboteurs took a beating. They are wearing down the garrison but have met almost none of there objectives. The coastal guns, airfields and Penbroke Fort I was hoping to have by now. And they are all still in British hands. I am going to try second and third attacks on them this turn and see if I can make more progress. They did raid and destroy a British supply dump which hopefully should help down the line. The saboteurs on the little island attacked the gun emplacement twice and were wiped out. Not sure what I'm going to do about that.
Overall its not going according to plan. Its all behind schedule actually, but it's going I think.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/22/2018 7:23:40 PM   
larryfulkerson

New turn and there was no airdrop of paratroops this turn but Matt did deploy his ships, mostly on the west side of the island. My ships are in no shape to contest his presence so there's no naval war so far. I would use the carriers on them but my planes are in really poor shape. At least there was no paratroop drop this time.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 13
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/23/2018 1:12:32 PM   
mdanz

So its now the beginning of the second day. The second full night turn. The attack on Penbroke fort worked and the 9.2in guns there were wrecked. None of the other attacks did. Larry used his turn to counterattack in the afternoon and push whats left of the paratroopers out of range of the airfields and reinforced the coastal guns with infantry. There are no landing zones free of coastal guns anywhere on the island, I have no airfields and there's at least two Battleships, a number of other heavy naval (probably a Battle cruiser and heavy cruisers) and destroyers guarding the approaches. The paratroopers are for the most part rounded up or cornered.
So far so good

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/28/2018 5:46:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Matt and there was another paradrop of about 20 units or so. Most of them Italian but some Germans too. The new paratroops took up positions on the front lines. So far it's looking like the Axis forces are taking over the island slowly.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 15
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/28/2018 6:00:40 PM   
larryfulkerson

Matt has been striking my boats with something....I didn't check out the battles this time and it's too late to go back and look if he was using his planes or his boats or both to strike. I did see one sea interdiction where his planes dished out 28% damage to my CV in one strike. I'll need to repair it now so the planes can fly off it's decks. I think I'll park it in one of the ports for now, if I have one left. Of the 6 fighter squadrons only two are still green. Of the bombers there's only three squadrons still green out of about 30 squadrons. I tried to use one of the CD guns on the LCU's ashore and it wouldn't even let me assign an attack. I haven't been bombarding the enemy troops ashore with my boats because I thought it prudent to save the supply for ship-to-ship fights. All the decoy units were going to be withdrawn and I don't see any now so I guess they were. I'm going to move as many aircraft to the island as it will hold. Mostly fighters I think. It's' noon local time and I'm starting to move my units.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 16
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/28/2018 6:08:26 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is what the supply levels look like for my units. The supply isn't flowing very far from the sources it appears. At least most of them are getting SOME supply. I need to see about improving it.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 17
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/29/2018 10:11:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

No paradrops by the Italians this turn, he floated his troops via water adjacent to the island and will no doubt walk ashore next turn. He had to use his ships to sink my ships and lots of my CD guns and make a path to the shore. He sank my CV also, so I have nothing to fight back except my troops and it looks like this may be the beginning of the end for the British.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 18
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/30/2018 2:36:08 PM   
mdanz

The invasion army has managed to land in force and now the mop up begins.

< Message edited by mdanz -- 10/22/2019 2:26:32 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/30/2018 7:51:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

This scenario is really exciting and seems balanced so far but all the Italians landing on the
beaches really clinches it for the Italians. The rest of the game will be the Italians killing
the British until the island is theirs. We can go through it all if Matt want to but an
alternate scenario is another option.

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 20
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/30/2018 8:00:09 PM   
mdanz

That's kind of the thing about this scenario. I played it against the computer a few times and it was always over by turn ten or so. If the invasion army reaches the island, its pretty much over. The garrison can't handle that many and there's no way for the British to get back on the island once there off.
Anyways, good game. I'de like to try it as the British at some point.

Post #: 21
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/30/2018 8:21:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

Hey Matt:
we can always restart with you as the British.

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to mdanz)
Post #: 22
RE: C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry A... - 12/31/2018 3:27:30 AM   
mdanz

sounds good

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> C3 ( the invasion of Malta ) Matt Italians, Larry Allies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI