Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 2/28/2019 2:46:13 AM   
Hellen_slith

Ouch, yes, losing the game saves after so much time spent would be discouraging....I have taken to emailing myself "end of turn" saves, JIC. I have had two CTDs occur so far, seeming random, but they both happened just as the game had finished Elmer's turn, and it was spinning up my next chance to move (checking replacements etc.) and then BOOM ... desktop ... so I had to let Elmer replay his turn. I have noticed, that the game seems to "move faster" for Elmer if I minimize the game window, but of course then I don't get to see some of his movements. Ah well.

I have learned a lot the past few days about the power of artillery and the value of studying those combat reports from "softening up" the enemy lines and airfields. I just started turn 30, and am finally getting some beefy reinforcements. My AGN is coalescing (FINALLY) for a push on Leningrad, AGS has Kharkov in sight, and the Rumanians etc. have started to clean up the Crimea. and I'm looking at Stalino now.

Elmer's defense looks rather thin ... looks promising, but there's no telling what he might have up his sleeve. We shall see!

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 31
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 2/28/2019 5:05:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

There's at least two schools of thought reguarding the use of your Panzer Divisions. (1) The first is the balanced approach where the Panzers are spread throughout the front lines to help break up log jams and hard spots. (2) The other approach is to use most of the Panzers in just the north, to get Leningrad, in the middle, to expidite the approach to Moscow, or in the south, where the terrain is ideal for motorized divisions, the Soviets are relatively sparse, and it's important to go as hard and as fast as possible to reach Sevastopol because S. must be captured by midnight of 04Dec41 to release the Bulgarians from garrison mode. It adds a little juice to your army. You can probably win the war without them but as long as you're going to go after that port anyway, you might as well see if you can get to the prize on time. Also, the oil fields in the south are vital to the Soviets and grabbing those will go a long way to making this a fair fight.

Which option to take is entirely up to you. I've been sending my Panzers to the south when they become available. Not all of them, but really most of them. I'm hoping that it might make the difference in my game this time.

there's two things that everyone needs to know: (1) 90% of the human race lives near the coast. (2) human beings can't breathe under water.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 32
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 2/28/2019 5:32:55 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen
Ouch, yes, losing the game saves after so much time spent would be discouraging....I have taken to emailing myself "end of turn" saves, JIC. I have had two CTDs occur so far, seeming random, but they both happened just as the game had finished Elmer's turn, and it was spinning up my next chance to move (checking replacements etc.) and then BOOM ... desktop ... so I had to let Elmer replay his turn. I have noticed, that the game seems to "move faster" for Elmer if I minimize the game window, but of course then I don't get to see some of his movements. Ah well.

[ You probably already know about the cap locks key and the space bar and the "No update" and the "No Delay" settings in the "Play->Player Options" menu choice. Scroll to the second window in the group to find the settings you need to change. I've got my "No update" off and my "No Delay" off and I find it a tiny bit faster yet when they move on the map. Also, I LOVE the way you are saving previous turns. I'm going to start doing that, thanks. Well done. And about the CTD's: I'm sorry about that. That means there was at least one bug that got past me somehow. What version are you running? If you haven't updated to the latest version, then I'd like to encourage you to do that. The newer version will have all the bug fixes that have been accomplished by the development team so far, thanks you guys. Maybe you might consider posting a bug report kind of thing in the Tech Help section of the forum. ]

I have learned a lot the past few days about the power of artillery and the value of studying those combat reports from "softening up" the enemy lines and airfields. I just started turn 30, and am finally getting some beefy reinforcements. My AGN is coalescing (FINALLY) for a push on Leningrad, AGS has Kharkov in sight, and the Rumanians etc. have started to clean up the Crimea. and I'm looking at Stalino now.

Elmer's defense looks rather thin ... looks promising, but there's no telling what he might have up his sleeve. We shall see!

That sounds great. I'd like to see a picture of that. I think the mud season is going to start soon, maybe T32? and I think it lasts until about T42 or so. Something like that. There's not a whole lot you can do as the Axis player to influence the onset of the Mud season in any way so I usually just keep it in mind, consider it as one of the factors I have to consider when about to move a unit, where to move it, etc. but not to stress over it either. The fun really starts when the Sovies launch their Winter Offensive about a month after the mud subsides I think. Then you get to decide if you want to continue attacking, grab as much territory as possible, OR rest your troops so that they are all 150% in supply, and 100% in health, etc. to get them ready to be assaulted by berserk troops. I learned my lesson about 6 months ago when I carelessly kept attacking way too much more than I should have into terrain that was really low in supply and then in T32 I think it was, the supply net collapsed, the mud season suppressed movement, and everybody was yellow if not red. And the game engine set the strategic bias for the Soviets to "berserk" or something, but I absolutely got my butt kicked. I lost 1/3 of my army, had to fall back to Riga, and had to build a huge MLR from Riga looking south along the river. It was a rout. There's an AAR about it. I don't remember which one of the several I've posted.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/28/2019 5:34:35 AM >

there's two things that everyone needs to know: (1) 90% of the human race lives near the coast. (2) human beings can't breathe under water.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI