Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/17/2018 8:45:36 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm playing Jonathan in a game of FITE2 and it takes me about two days to do my moves and that makes for a slow game and I don't always remember my battlefield awareness of the situation because it's a monster of a scenario. So when I'm not doing my moves for one of my opponents I'm playing D21 which as you all know is a smaller version of FITE2 with a computer opponent and I love it. I'm on T10 now and all the slash and dash is mostly done and now we're approaching the phase change that happens when the Soviet reinforcements start showing up at the front lines and rough MLR's are being constructed that are considerably stronger than the roadblocks I'm accustumed to. I'm getting into the toe-to-toe style of combat with front lines and everything. I've defeated the Riga defenders so that should open the way for my ships to begin to take a part in the battles because I think the loss of Riga makes the CD guns on the smaller islands to go away. I may be wrong. This is good practice for my FITE2 game with Jonathan.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/17/2018 9:04:16 PM >

there's two things that everyone needs to know: (1) 90% of the human race lives near the coast. (2) human beings can't breathe under water.
Post #: 1
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/18/2018 12:17:58 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T11 and Axis forces are sneaking up on Smolensk. I forced the crossing at Orsha and drove some troops across the bridge so I've got a foothold across the river and I'm going to attempt to roll up the Soviet lines to destroy those Soviet units lined up at the river. I'm counting on Elmer leaving them there long enough for me to trap them. I might be able to destroy a lot of Soviet equipment and if I can do things like this enough times I can whittle down the size of the Soviet army enough to not be outnumbered any longer. It's 06:14 local and I've been up since 03:15 waiting for moves from Brian or maybe an email from Jonathan explaining who moves first and any house rules he might have. It seems that we're going to play C3 and I'm going to be the British and he's going to be the Axis forces.

Attachment (1)

there's two things that everyone needs to know: (1) 90% of the human race lives near the coast. (2) human beings can't breathe under water.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/18/2018 1:04:19 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm exploring the area NE of the marshes with some Panzer divisions and some foot troops and I seem to have found a large gap in the Soviet lines. I don't have the people available yet to man a front line in this AO but I can move some people here and build an MLF in about 5 turns or so. I have no idea where the people are going to come from because almost everybody is already fully employed doing something important. I may have to build a light screen across the gap and just monitor it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/18/2018 1:18:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the Kiev area right now. I'd like to destroy the Soviet group on the left before I try to tackle the city of Kiev proper. The railhead is the embarked Axis group on the left edge of the image. I'd like to repair the rail to close enough to employ the RR arty with the big guns. Currently they can't reach any Soviet targets.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/18/2018 10:30:19 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T12 and I've reached the limit of my supply. The advance will have to stop here and wait for the supply levels to rise. I've tried persuing the Soviet units into poor supply terrain and the results were not pretty. My boys need a rest at any rate. It's July 30 1941 and it's hot and humid and the men were ordered to take some salt tablets and drink at least a canteen full of water. And it's dusty. The vehicles passing the marching men has churned the dirt road so badly that they have left the road and rolled over a barbed wire fence and are moving on the access road some farmer is using next to the fence. There are recon planes moving back and forth ahead of the moving formations and they are low enough to reccognize threats, about 1500 feet. The plane down low is the hunter and the killer is loitering up at 5K feet or so. Anybody foolish enough to shoot at the hunter is bombed by the killer. It's all over in about 15 minutes. And the formations keep moving.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/18/2018 10:54:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the Pskov area right now. I'm looking this image ove and I'm struck by the number of engineers standing positions on the front line. Also recon units. I'm outnumbered and it's starting to show. I've been assigning INT missions to those bombers that are leaf green and those bombers that are a pastel green are CS missions. The yellow ones are resting, about half of all the planes, and so far there's only one red one. A fighter squadron that got ambushed. I need to start using ambushes myself. Fly three or four fighter squadrons into a suitable area, three or four friendly airfields near each other, then fly in A bomber squadron for the bait and then assign the bomber to a target, almost any target, and when the bomber flies, the Soviet figthters will spring into action to intercept and then MY fighters jump on the Soviet fighters, sometimes saving the bait bomber.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/18/2018 10:55:02 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the Pskov area right now. I'm looking this image over and I'm struck by the number of engineers standing positions on the front line. Also recon units. I'm outnumbered and it's starting to show. I've been assigning INT missions to those bombers that are leaf green and those bombers that are a pastel green are CS missions. The yellow ones are resting, about half of all the planes, and so far there's only one red one. A fighter squadron that got ambushed. I need to start using ambushes myself. Fly three or four fighter squadrons into a suitable area, three or four friendly airfields near each other, then fly in A bomber squadron for the bait and then assign the bomber to a target, almost any target, and when the bomber flies, the Soviet figthters will spring into action to intercept and then MY fighters jump on the Soviet fighters, sometimes saving the bait bomber.

Post #: 7
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/19/2018 1:39:12 PM   
larryfulkerson

I have forced the river crossings near Odessa and I have units streaming across. I've moved the fighters forward to cover the forces in motion. I find it irritating that the RR engineers aren't keeping up. I've noticed at least two turns of no rail repair at all. I'll have to slow down the advance, maybe even stop, until the supply level is high enough to sustain operations. I plan to contain Odessa and press on to the Crimea.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/20/2018 10:23:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

It's T13, early August and I'm not much further along compared with last turn. So it's official, the advance has halted. I need to await better supply levels anyway. I've driven my ships into Riga bay to bombard the enemy units on the smaller islands. I'm wondering if I can slip an MP unit onto the smaller islands and just convert the hexes without too much drama. I either have to garrison all my ports or clear the smaller islands of enemy units because Elmer can float a unit into an empty port in my backfield and cause all kinds of chaos. When I was playing FITE with Ian he had partisans he could use to drop my bridges and convert my rails and was a major pain using them. D21 doesn't have any partisans I guess, because I've seen none yet.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/22/2018 4:42:01 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm still clearing out the marshes but I seem to have blown a hole in the Soviet lines and I don't have a reserve to follow up. There aren't enough people in the German army, I'm having to leave gaps in the lines. This doesn't bode well.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 10
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/24/2018 5:53:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a shot of the supply levels in the territories between the rivers down south. Supply is okay except for at the front where it's low. I may have to slow down the advance down here to allow the supply to rise enough for operations. My boys are tired and need a rest anyway. I'm trying to keep the Rumanian aircraft units near the Rumanians and the Hungarian planes near the Hungarians etc. They are probably more likely to respond if they are closer to the target hex. I've been thinking of trimming the range of the aircraft so that they concentrate on specific areas instead of all over the map.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/24/2018 7:40:41 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a shot of the Odessa area right now. I'm using the Axis minors to help out and I have to help them out often. They are small units, low proficiency, and they can't stack. So they are almost useless on the front line. If I build a three-line front line with them the third line might stop the enemy maybe. But they are pretty nifty for just converting hexes. So they are worth more than disbanding would be worth. I've been trying to drive the 11th Army units toward the Crimea because I want them to take down Sevastopol. I've moved the Stukas down here to strike the Soviet boats but they aren't in range yet. I've got the Rumanians configured to just babysit Odessa yet and I'll need more units to actually start the serious assaults. I don't need ALL the Rumanians to assault Odessa, just enough to force the Soviets to back up. I'm thinking I'm going to have to bombard with arty and air for about a week at least before the probes start. I could really use a BB group down here. The one DD I have won't even scratch the paint.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/28/2018 6:52:12 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a view of the Pskov area right now. The front is dynamic here and there's lots of movement and mostly it's me putting a stopper in a hole in my lines. I could use some more people up here. I'll take a look around and see if I can't find a division or two.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/28/2018 7:16:43 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Orsha area right now. I've gotten over the river in one spot and now I'm pushing toward Smolensk. I've almost got an adequate number of troops in this area. There's still no reserve however so I'm going to be on the lookout for any unemployed formations for this area too.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/29/2018 10:52:04 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Pskov area right now and I'm fighting to contain all the Soviet units coming from the northwest. Several of them I surrounded and there are several battles scheduled. I'd like to anchor my left flank on the lake and push north toward Leningrad. I'd also like to isolate Leningrad from the rest of Russia by cutting the rails on the east side of the city. I could use another division for this area.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/29/2018 11:45:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've started the serious attacks at Kiev, attempting to push the Soviet units across the river leaving me with the crossing. I've almost finished clearing the territories between the rivers which leaves me with no way to get across the rivers except at the crossings. I'm approaching Odessa and I need to transfer the RR arty down there and start the bombardments. If I recall correctly Odessa has a supply point so it's not going to be pretty taking it down. I've decided to use the Axis minors to take over the Crimea. I want the 11th Army group to take down Sevastopol. I deliberately moved some Panzers down in the south to take advantage of the favorable terrain and they did and now I'm at the limit of the supply flow and there's almost no need for the fast movers down here any longer. I think I'll move the Panzers to Orsha and see if I can't use them to help the push to Moscow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/30/2018 12:21:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the Odessa area right now looking north. The supply levels are in single digits in this area and I'm going to have to call a halt to let the rails catch up with the front a little closer. I've got two separate rails headed this way....I think I'll collapse that down to a single line and use the engineers on just one rail so it'll get here faster.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/31/2018 11:09:17 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's now T17 and this is the state of the supply levels up north near Narva. Adequate so far. As soon as I get the bridges repaired it'll go up a little bit. The RR engineers aren't keeping up with the front very well at any point in the front lines. I've consolidated them down to just four teams, four rail lines heading east, and I haven't seen much change yet. I HAVE seen two turns in a row with no progress anywhere. We are close to the middle of August and the time of the year when the air starts to get a little cooler and the sky is overcast a little more often and winter is a little closer. I would really hate to be fighting for Leningrad during winter. I'm wondering if just one more division would really help all that much up here. I seem to be containing them so far.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 12/31/2018 11:27:36 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the area around Kiev looking north and a little south. I seem to always be fighting over the river crossings. Elmer has the river crossings covered pretty well except in a couple of spots. I'm trying to outflank Elmer by going around the north end of the defenders. The problem is that Elmer keeps bringing in more people and the front line gets longer. To remind me that I'm fighting the largest army in the world. Outflanking his units isn't going to work except locally I think. Making the front line longer works to his advantage I'm guessing. I've got to start using the natural terrain better.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/1/2019 12:34:15 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 1/1/2019 1:26:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what the Leningrad area looks like now. The Finns have blasted a hole in the Soviet line and troops poured through the hole and now it looks like they will be at the stop line soon unless the Soviets move some more units into the AO. I made an airstrike by my Stukas on the southernmost Soviet ship group and got 8% damage on the soviet BB in the group but lost 28 Stukas. It wasn't worth doing. I think the BB goes away if you capture the city ( Leningrad ). The longest range of my surviving ships is 2 hexes and the Soviet BB can shoot out to 4 hexes so a surface combat fight would be somewhat less than nominal. Maybe we can get a spy on the crew for the ship and the spy can plant a bomb and blow up the ship along with the spy. He knew what he was getting into when he signed up. I've got my ships parked outside the exit from Leningrad's port to stiffle the sortie possibility. It's worked so far.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 1/4/2019 8:49:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Kiev area looking south and shows the extent of the advance so far down south. The supply levels are adequate so far and lots of progress is being made each turn. The Axis minors are coming in handy. They aren't much good in combat operations but they CAN convert the hexes to Axis control. And there's quite a few of them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 1/6/2019 3:32:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on in the north. I've got this cropped wrong and it looks funny. I'll try harder next time.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 1/8/2019 9:06:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on just above Leningrad. Most of the Finn units are settled in on the stop line and there's only a little bit to do yet. My ships don't have the range that the Soviet BB has so I exect Elmer to sink them any turn now. I'm going to have to address that threat with my Stukas.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 1/9/2019 12:11:03 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the Orsha / Smolensk area right now and you can see that I've blown a hole in the Soviet lines and I've driven some units through it and now I'm getting closer to Smolensk. There's a penalty on the Soviets for the Axis capture of Smolensk of some kind. I think it's 5% of Soviet supply that get's cut. Whatever it is it's worth capturing, since I'm here already and the troops can do it eventually. The railhead is getting further and further away each turn. The supply levels are really low and I'm going to have to halt the advance for a while to let the supply lines catch up.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 2/6/2019 3:49:45 PM   
Hellen_slith

Hello, Larry, I am enjoying your AAR about D21. I too am trying that scenario out and am now on T14. As a rank amateur at this game, I am encouraged that I have progressed almost as well, but obviously you know more about the little things that help the Germans ... esp. w/re/to Leningrad and the naval support there. I haven't fiddled at all w/ the naval support, and am hoping you might give me some pointers. How do you get the German navy in there to support the Leningrad front?

Our games are practically identical as far as the front goes ... but I have run dangerously low on supplies, esp. around Kiev (already taken ... just biding my time to resupply before a push across the river there.)

In the meantime, I am trying to clear out the Pripyet Marshes near Kiev ... lots of resistance there.

Also, I see a few Italian units for you in the South, but I have not been able to find any that I can rail up into Romania. Are those contingent upon events? I'm trying to get the allies to rally around a pincer south of Kiev, but things are not going well for me there. The Russkies are putting up a difficult "hit and run" down there, slowing down my AGS.

Also, I am trying to get around Pskov better, but rear actions have slowed me down there. Seems like some Russkies keep popping up out of nowhere, my SS and police forces are having a hard time dealing w/ them.

Anyway, thanks again for the AAR, and any tips are greatly appreciated!

Post #: 25
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 2/6/2019 7:32:44 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen

Hello, Larry, I am enjoying your AAR about D21. I too am trying that scenario out and am now on T14. As a rank amateur at this game, I am encouraged that I have progressed almost as well, but obviously you know more about the little things that help the Germans ... esp. w/re/to Leningrad and the naval support there. I haven't fiddled at all w/ the naval support, and am hoping you might give me some pointers. How do you get the German navy in there to support the Leningrad front?

Our games are practically identical as far as the front goes ... but I have run dangerously low on supplies, esp. around Kiev (already taken ... just biding my time to resupply before a push across the river there.)

In the meantime, I am trying to clear out the Pripyet Marshes near Kiev ... lots of resistance there.

Also, I see a few Italian units for you in the South, but I have not been able to find any that I can rail up into Romania. Are those contingent upon events? I'm trying to get the allies to rally around a pincer south of Kiev, but things are not going well for me there. The Russkies are putting up a difficult "hit and run" down there, slowing down my AGS.

Also, I am trying to get around Pskov better, but rear actions have slowed me down there. Seems like some Russkies keep popping up out of nowhere, my SS and police forces are having a hard time dealing w/ them.

Anyway, thanks again for the AAR, and any tips are greatly appreciated!

How do you get the German navy in there to support the Leningrad front? There are CD guns on the western coast of Estonia and Latvia that must be avoided but careful sailing can permit ships to move up to the north coast where there is an exclusion zones preventing movement east along the north coast near Talinin. You have to destroy the Soviet defenders in the hexes that block your movement to Helsinki. Hanko I think it's called. And yeah, we're on almost the same turn. I think you're a better player than you realize. The Finns activate on turns 5, 6, and 7 and the Rumanians activate on turn 4 and there's an event that has to happen to release the Bulgarians: you have to capture Sevastopol by midnight on 4Dec41 to release them. I'm glad you like the AAR; I'll try to make it more entertaining.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/6/2019 7:33:45 PM >

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 26
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 2/25/2019 10:23:19 PM   
Hellen_slith

Thanks for the tip about the navy...I tried to get some naval units up around Leningrad ... and they got sunk. But I am not a very good player, there is too much I don't know (e.g., on turn 26 or so, I only then figured out that those supply units [with the big dot on them) had a radius of six ... I had parked them too far back to do much good, but now they've gotten into the action, so that might help me.) Anyway, I just started my Axis move 28 ... and Leningrad is far from "under siege" ... my AGN got fractured a bit, and Elmer is doing a good job of keeping most of AGN away from Leningrad.

AGC: only 100 or so more kilometers to the edge of Moscow ... with most units just about worn out. Hopefully, getting a few of those big supply dots closer will help with supply there.

AGS: Elmer seems to have abandoned most of that area, now that I have secured the east bank of the Dneper ... I managed to wipe out most of the Soviet army that was defending that area east of Kiev / Chernassky, and now I drove armored units about 100 kilometers east of the Dneper, and the remaining Soviets down there seem to have retreated either to the Crimea, toward Stalingrad, or are heading toward Moscow... I'll try to post a screen shot to show how poorly I'm doing. I play the game on a diff. computer than this one that I use to internet type on, will see if I can email myself some screenshots. Also will try to start my own AAR thread about it, I don't want to hijack your thread!

Anyway, thanks again!

Post #: 27
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 2/26/2019 12:04:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Also will try to start my own AAR thread about it, I don't want to hijack your thread!

You are of course welcome to post whatever you'd like in this AAR but if you start your own AAR thread
then I'll subscribe to it and see if I can't lend you a hand and supply some helpful hints if I can.
And feel free to hijack my thread all you want to. I like the way you think and I think you're better
at wargamming than you realize. I've never won a game of FITE even though I've played it about a dozen
times now. I tend to post a lot though, that's my only talent I guess. Is D21 the only game you have
going on right now? You might enjoy playing against a human player, I do. I've got about 4 games going
right now and I'm really busy.

Post #: 28
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 2/26/2019 12:50:16 AM   
Hellen_slith

Yes, thanks, D21 is the only one I'm playing right now. I used to play TOAW3 years ago, mostly solitaire, and I just got TOAW4 a month ago, so I am rusty. But I used to play the old S&T magazine games back when we had no computers and I was a fan of the "monster" games in the late 1970s / early 1980s when they were first coming out, so I really like TOAW! Anyway, yes I'll try to start a thread. I actually managed to take a screen shot LoL! Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Post #: 29
RE: D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets - 2/27/2019 6:49:30 PM   
larryfulkerson

Damon dude, you've inspired me to try D21 again. I never seem to get very far
but this time I have an excuse. My computer crashed and took my D21 files with it so
I'm having to start over. I, of course, have to use the most advanced game engine we
have so I'll be using a version that might play a tiny bit different, or there might
be panels that look different, or there might be a feature that we didn't use to have,
or something like that. Bug fixes at the very least. I'll keep you guys posted.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> D21 larry Axis, computer Soviets Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI