Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Aircraft range and combat radius

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Aircraft range and combat radius Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aircraft range and combat radius - 8/1/2019 1:58:10 AM   
engineer

Going back to the Navy Departments Bureau of Aeronautics data, they give the PBJ-1J (a late model B-25) an operating range of almost 1700 nm with a reduced bomb load and a 215 gallon bomb-bay tank. So with the 40% fair weather combat radius you get 680 nm combat radius, the magic 17 hexes to Paramushiro.

Again, I'll restate the simulation vs. game caveat. This seems to offer the Allies an opportunity to mount at least nuisance raids that could distract or tie down forces that stock AE doesn't replicate. Historically, they took place and that's enough for the modder who is looking to try and closely replicate what happened. However, how that influences as big and complicated an engine as a full bore AE game another matter.

FYI: I've been looking at the F4F and F6F data and coming up with range reductions vs. stock without drop tanks. So source reference data can be a two edged sword. A big part of that is that range formula that the Navy used presumed a 20 minute combat interval at military power.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 31
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Aircraft range and combat radius Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI