Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/15/2019 3:59:54 AM   
larryfulkerson

I blasted a hole in the Soviet defenses at Pskov and I've been driving units through it spreading out and grabbing airfields and converting the roads and rails. I found a Soviet defender straight north from Pskov and he's blocking the road to Narva so I need to move him out of the way or destroy him or both. The flow of supply isn't making it all the way past Pskov yet and I can't go far without supplies. I'd like to be able to keep going east and do a left hook to the north to isolate Leningrad from the rest of Russia.

Attachment (1)

you can't get off unless you cough.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 91
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/15/2019 11:39:53 AM   
larryfulkerson

I have finally repaired the rail close enough to Odessa that my RR arty can reach the Odessa CD guns on the coast. I've already started the bombardment. The RR engineers are busy repairing rail to the east from here. They are headed for the Crimea. I need the rail to reach almost to Sevastopol to feed the forces so they can take down the city.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 92
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/15/2019 6:08:18 PM   
larryfulkerson

I finally cleaned out Pskov. Now I need to reapair all the damage and it will be as good as new. The railhead is getting closer to Pskov and the supply levels are rising slowly. Getting Leningrad depended on getting Pskov and now that Pskov is in our pocket it's time to get serious about Leningrad.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 93
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/17/2019 9:04:23 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Jonathan and this is T17 and the area just north of Leningrad is a hot spot. Lots of fighting going on and there's some German units that don't have to stop at the stop line. The Finns are slowly pushing the Soviets backward and will soon be at the stop line.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 94
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/18/2019 8:18:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

This shot shows the supply levels at the front lines. It looks like for a while to come there's going to be a series of battles to get across several rivers on the way to Moscow. I need to gather up all the little pontoon units to straddle the river and give my units away across it while it's still possible to do so. When winter gets here the supply levels are going to vanish.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 95
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/18/2019 8:26:46 PM   
larryfulkerson

I found a section of the front lines that doesn't seem to be guarded all that heavily. Maybe I can get a foothold here. If so I'll need a lot more troops to follow up. I'll divert some more troops to this area. The follow on forces need a little rest following the destruction of the Soviet roadblock(s) so they have fallen behind but can be here in about four or five turns or so.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 96
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/18/2019 9:08:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a view of Kiev and the supply levels in that area. Kiev doesn't seem to have been turned into a fortress yet and that may be a good thing. I've got some RR arty that I'm going to employ here as soon as the rail makes a way to do that. I've decided to treat Kiev as just another river crossing and try to force a breech with the tanks of a Panzer division backed up by a lot of heavy duty arty and some CS by about a dozen bombers; that ought to make a dent. It's kind of important to get on the other side of the river so that a drive on Kharkov might begin. Other forces are clearing the terrain south of Kiev on the west side of the river.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 97
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/19/2019 11:40:30 AM   
larryfulkerson

It's 05:32 and I have worked through the night again doing my moves. But I don't want to keep my opponents waiting so I do it. I looked up the Me-109E to find the difference between it's range and the other models of the Me-109 and found that I had to click on the equipment button to get a readout of the range but that I would have to do a cut and paste picture to get more than one model's stats both in the same image. It would be really handy if the inventory and replacements dialog could include the range of the unit and maybe a health dot for the unit. Clicking on a button for the infor one unit at a time isn't all that user friendly.

EDIT: Does anybody know for sure if the Me-110G is a night fighter? I think I read that somewhere.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/19/2019 11:42:05 AM >

Post #: 98
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/19/2019 11:54:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

I think I've found a game stopper kind of problem. The Ju-87 is supposed to be a ship killer. It's supposed to have an anti-ship value of 120 or so. But when I inspect all the Stuka's I find that they all have a perfectly ordinary value like any other bomber. This will prevent the Stukas from making a dent in the BB's near Leningrad and Sevastopol. I've made strikes on the BB's already and can confirm the lack of a dent. I would like to somehow get a fix for this and then restart I guess. Before we get too much further into the game.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 99
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/22/2019 12:00:37 PM   
larryfulkerson

Jonathan talked me into continuing this game. He said just ignore the
Stuka problem or work around it.

Post #: 100
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/22/2019 2:56:52 PM   
gliz2

Looking good Larry.

Any chance for hotfix for Stukas (both of You would have to update the equip files right?)

Post #: 101
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/22/2019 3:28:52 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: gliz2
Looking good Larry.
Any chance for hotfix for Stukas (both of You would have to update the equip files right?)

I would jump up and down with joy if there were a hot fix for this problem. I think you're
right, that the fix would probably just mean an adjustment of the EQP file. But I don't feel
comfortable making the change myself. I know it's just XML but I don't know which flag to
change. I'll take a look at it, see what's going on.

(in reply to gliz2)
Post #: 102
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/22/2019 3:34:25 PM   
larryfulkerson

<ITEM_1456>
<NAME>Ju-87D</NAME>
<COUNTRY>Germany - 1942</COUNTRY>
<EQUIP1>256</EQUIP1>
<EQUIP2>182</EQUIP2>
<AT>3</AT>
<AP>13</AP>
<AA>4</AA>
<DF>7</DF>
<ARTY_RNG>346</ARTY_RNG>
<EARLY_RNG>0</EARLY_RNG>
<SAM_RNG>0</SAM_RNG>
<NUKE>0</NUKE>
<VOL>999</VOL>
<WEIGHT>0</WEIGHT>
<SHELL_W>1000</SHELL_W>
<ARMOR>0</ARMOR>
<FLAG0>0</FLAG0>
<FLAG1>32</FLAG1>
<FLAG2>4</FLAG2>
<FLAG3>0</FLAG3>
<FLAG4>16</FLAG4>
<FLAG5>2</FLAG5>
<FLAG6>0</FLAG6>
<FLAG7>0</FLAG7>

</ITEM_1456>

I think one of these flags needs a different value than the
one it has.

Post #: 103
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/22/2019 7:31:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

T18, new moves from Jonathan, and this is what's going on in the north right now. The yellow arrows shows the axis of advance planned. I haven't moved anybody yet so there's the potential to make some progress this turn. I'm not seeing many Soviet units to the east so I'm going to have to move into that area and take a look around. I should imagine there's some Soviet defenders in there I just can't see them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 104
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/22/2019 7:56:03 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a closeup of the Narva area. It doesn't look like there are any Soviet defenders there but I'm pretty sure they are there. Most of the Axis units in this area are tired and several of them are red. The supply level in this area isn't the best but the railhead is getting closer so as soon as I get these bridges fixed the supply level will be okie dokie. I've been moving the fighters forward with the advance to make sure the troops are covered with an Axis aerial umbrella. I need to bring up some more arty too. There's several RR arty pieces that I'd like to bring up here. I've got to keep in mind that I'll have to garrison the ports to prevent surprises. According to the expected reinforcements dialog I'm supposed to get some CD guns along the coast soon. I'm not sure I'll need them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 105
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/22/2019 10:05:10 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on around Pskov looking to the east. The Soviet units approached me from the north and started forming their line so I ran up adjacent to them and now the right flank is open and I need to drive into that area and continue the front line to the east. I've got units heading this way, some have already arrived but they are red tired and need a rest before they will be ready for combat. The railhead is headed this way but it's still too far away to help out much.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 106
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/23/2019 7:29:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a spot down south and you can see how the supply levels have decreased by about half and the threshold for being overextended is 5 so I'm going to have to stop the advance soon and let the rails catch up. It's just as well because my guys are tired and in need of some refit. There are still many bridges broken and I'm thinking that when I get them fixed the supply level will be a little higher.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 107
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/24/2019 11:01:50 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Jonathan and this is T19 before I have clicked away the combat replay. There were close to 130 Soviet bombardment attacks and at least two land assaults. I remember one German unit having to back up. And now it's my turn and I'm going to have to turn my artilery on the Soviet arty and try to delete some of their tubes. I'm not sure that's possible unless I gang up on the Soviet units one at a time or something.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 108
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/24/2019 11:36:03 PM   
MikeJ19

Larry,

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your AARs.

Mike

Retired Gunner

Post #: 109
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/25/2019 12:04:10 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is what it looks like around Leningrad now. The Finns are having a devil of a time trying to push the Soviets backward and so far the Soviets haven't really tried to push the Finns back. There's been a lot of arty shooting back and forth. I've got a Soviet CD gun north of my positions on the coast and that's what's holding back my ships from joining the fight. I'll see if I can't destroy that thing with my BB's and keep the smaller ships out of the way for awhile.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 110
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/25/2019 2:50:48 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeJ19
Larry,
Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your AARs.

You're quite welcome. I'm going to try to go into more detail, include more numbers of things, go under the hood a little. I would LOVE to see Jonathan post something. An idea what it's like on his side of things. I'd like us to get a conversation going about some aspect of the game, those are always rewarding.

Germany has no heavy strategic bomber and I'm thinking that if they had one the war might have turned out differently. Stalin moved his factories east to the Urals and perhaps if the Axis side had bombers that had sufficient range and could reach the factories they could have destroyed them despite the movement of the factories. The He-111 and the Ju-88 were too small to carry enough bomb load to level sections of a city at a time. The Allied B-17 was the most deadly weapons system in the world at the time. I heard that from a WWII pilot. In the movie "The War Lover". Steve McQueen.

The War Lover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD-RZ1rdep4

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/25/2019 2:53:46 AM >

Post #: 111
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/25/2019 3:21:06 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've been railing formations to the railhead in this area and moving them to the north into that huge gap. I'm hoping to get an intact river crossing so I can continue moving NE. I'm trying to do a left hook to isolate Leningrad from the rest of Russia. Or at least cut the rails leading to the port from Moscow. The take down will be a lot easier if no more Soviet units can enter the battlefield. It's already been turned into a fortress by now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 112
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/25/2019 3:45:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is a close up of the Pskov area where I'm pushing north on their front line and at the same time driving Axis units NE into the zone where there's no visible Soviet units. It's like a footrace to see who can get there first, although the Soviets have had sufficient time to have garrisoned the cities and forested areas around the axis of the roads and rails and they are just waiting patiently for me to arrive.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 113
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/25/2019 4:01:50 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've moved the frame of reference to the SE a bit and got this screenshot of what's happening across the breadth of the gap showing the various units making their way to the NE and the river crossings that I'm going to need to keep going north to Leningrad. I've been moving Panzer units up here because they are fast movers and even though the terrain isn't the best for tanks they can usually find a way to flow like water around Soviet positions and keep going. Hopefully the follow on forces are close enough to the recon units to take over the babysitting while the recon units disengage and move out. In this particular situation, I can imagine in my mind's eye that there are several Soviet positions already garrisoned in the area we're entering. They are dug in and backed up by RR arty and regular arty and will have to be handled by the follow on forces. Unless I can dredge up another Panzer formation from down south and form two moving prongs to keep the Soviet guessing.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 114
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/25/2019 9:40:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's happening in Estonia. I've got a few units going around converting the hexes and flushing out the Soviet remnants. The clearance of the Peninsula is almost done now and the action will move to the Narva area where the Axis forces are going to try to force passage and get into the plains on the other side. Supply levels aren't extreamly great but it doesn't suck so operations aren't stopping, just slowed down. I'm going to move some of the Stuka's up here to do sea int and I need to move more fighters up here. When the peninsula is cleared these units will move to the Pskov area and join the movement to the east and take part in the left hook.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 115
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/25/2019 10:00:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a zoomed out view of what's happening right now. The front line has reached the river crossings in the gap and Axis units are racing to close the river crossings further to the NE and then just guard the crossing, don't provoke the Soviets, just babysit the crossings to allow some time for rest and to let the follow on forces to catch up to the front. The railhead is still too far away to be of much help and the supply levels could be higher to be more helpful and there's pushing and shoving going on just east of the lake and I'm expecting the Soviets to give way and fall back if and when I get through the Narva bottleneck and have access to the east side of the lake and can cut them off if they don't reposition themselves. IIRC I've got some brown water boats and I'm going to see if I can't move one of them up here to lend a hand around the lake.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 116
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/26/2019 2:21:43 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is a view of a southern group moving through an area that has been cratered by all the dropped bridges. Supply has gotten down to 9 at the front so I'm going to have to call a halt to the advance here and wait for the supply levels to rise enough to justify operations. I've railed in some extra engineers to help get all these bridges repaired. That will restore the rail and allow the supply to flow a LOT better. I'm moving SE with them to stay close to the river because that's where the bad guys are. The Axis minor nation formations have been helping out quite a bit. I'm trying to employ the Rumanians, Slavics, Italians, and Hungarians but keep them separate at the same time. I think I'll insert a German formation between them both to separate them but also to help them out when they need some firepower.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 117
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/26/2019 2:35:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a zoomed out view of what's going on down south. I've contained the Soviet units at Kiev on the west side of the river and the Axis forces are moving into the wilderness between the rivers and I have to convert all the hexes, roads, and rails all the way over to D-town and Z-town. I predict that I'll have it all converted and cleared in about 6 weeks game time. Repairing the rails to keep up with the moving formations probably will fall behind and I'll have to move some more RR engineers down here. The rails have reached the front lines around Veliki Luki, and Gomel, so there's some engineers that need to be reassigned somewhere. Sounds like I need them in the south.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 118
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/26/2019 8:11:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on around the Crimea. I've got Odessa surrounded and I'm bombarding it and I've launched some light probes with losses higher than I'd like to get with one-dot attacks. I'll bombard them some more and try again in a week or so. I've got a formation headed into the Crimea to try to get to the bottlenecks before they are turned into a fortress. Making headon attacks into the face of determined Soviet infantry backed up by some fine Soviet arty isn't my idea of fun. Massive losses doing it that way. I'll have to employ the RR arty to the situation and maybe that'll break the logjam, if there is one. I'm hoping to get there before a defender can arrive and dig in. I may be too late already.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 119
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/26/2019 8:31:31 PM   
larryfulkerson

The rails are getting closer to Kiev all the time. I've got to move some of the unemployed RR engineers down here to help out. I'd like to be able to employ the RR arty on Kiev as well as Odessa and the Crimea. I think I've got enough to go around. Oh, and I'll need some for Leningrad as well. I might ought to take a look at the inventory of RR arty and see what is available. I need the longer ranged guns at Odessa to defeat the 3 Range 7 CD guns that Odessa has near the port. I have some range 11 RR guns that can serve that purpose. I'll need some range 4 or 5 RR guns for Kiev to defeat all the Soviet arty that's surely going to be there. But on the other hand there's some long range CD guns at Leningrad that I'll have to defeat too. I'd best make a list of what I've got in the way of RR arty and assign it now because I may have to change my plans or redirect the axis of advance somewhere to take advantage of my longest ranged weapons. I'm using the aircraft in direct attacks when I see a huge stack of arty or two or more HQ's in a hex together or an overstacked infantry group; mostly soft targets.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI