Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/5/2019 3:55:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

Axis forces are closing in on Orsha, one of the landmarks I'm using to gauge my progress v. the real life conflict's progress at this date in time. I think I've fallen behind schedule. The supply levels in this area are in the teens, enough for further adventures. I'm leaving behind a lot of terrain to clear and hexes to convert. The follow on forces will see to that.

Attachment (1)

"Am I in hell? I thought there would be more country western music."
Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 61
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/5/2019 5:37:42 AM   
Dreamslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I especially liked to find out that German units killed up north respawn in Germany. That means that I can disband them and use them down south instead. Is that gamey?

It's hard to say, probably better to ask scenario designers = )
Imho, disbanding without normal reason for relocating like this looks gamey.
Also I think that 2 hexes at north (257.33 and 258.33/258.32) should have these yellow dots too.

Post #: 62
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/5/2019 12:06:47 PM   
Teufeldk

The rules allow you to do this - we have not made any specific house rules against it.

The only house rule regarding disbanding is:
Units can be disbanded as long as they did not start the turn in enemy ZOC.

Whether or not it is gamey is for you to decide :)

Regards
Kristian

(in reply to Dreamslayer)
Post #: 63
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/5/2019 8:31:31 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm not sure I'll need them in Finland and I'm real sure I could use them near Minsk right now.
So I'm guessing that a way might be found for them to be moved south by plane or ship or sub
or hot air balloon or teleportation or something. I'm pretty sure that they could find a way
to get there eventually. It's just another way to move units strategically.

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to Teufeldk)
Post #: 64
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/5/2019 9:43:03 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's happening down south. The Germans and Rumanians and Hungarians are pushing to the east and Odessa is surrounded and the bombardments have started and I've grabbed several river crossings and my units are streaming across moving south and east. The Idea is to surround all these Soviet units and destroy them before they make it to an open river crossing and escape. I'm not sure I can outrun them to the exits because of all the broken bridges but the terrain is good for mechanized units so there's a chance and I need to try everything I can that might work.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 65
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/5/2019 10:04:41 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is my forces approaching Pskov and I expect to see a lot of Soviet units in and around this spot. I'm going to try to outflank the defenders and surround them and destroy them. The follow on forces will arrive at this location in a turn or two and they will do most of the heavy lifting.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 66
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/6/2019 6:41:39 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Jonathan and you can see the battle for Minsk and other forces are pushing east and there's a couple of rivers to cross ahead. That's where the bad guys are I guess.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 67
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/7/2019 11:36:51 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on in the south right now. The Rumanians are pressing to the east and the Germans are moving south.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 68
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/7/2019 6:38:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Kiev area and my forces are sneaking up on it from mostly the west along several avenues. The rail is fixed to near here so the supply levels are great and I'm hoping I can get a surround on Kiev soon. I'd like to be able to push the Soviets through the river crossing leaving me with the city. This is a key city because of all the railroads that pass through there. I need those. .

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 69
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/10/2019 3:43:36 AM   
larryfulkerson

The follow on forces have caught up and moved on since Minsk is in able hands already. Most of the Axis units in this area are somewhere near Minsk and I'm trying to squeeze the Soviet units into a single hex and kill it. Other forces east of here are leaping over the river and spreading out making slow progress.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 70
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/10/2019 3:55:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on down south. I have one more major river to leap across, the Southern Bug River, before I'll be in the good terrain areas and can let the Panzers shine. Although there's remarkably few Soviet units visible. I'm imaging that there's plenty of Soviet units just out of my sight and they are preparing to ambush my leading units. I'm trying to not let the recon units get too far out, so far out that I can't protect them when they run into something stout.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 71
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/10/2019 4:23:17 AM   
larryfulkerson

I have pulled up adjacent to some Soviet units near Orsha and it looks like there's going to be a front line form there. I have units arriving from the west and I assume there's more Soviet units not visible yet to the east. So it looks like the advance is going to slow down in this area because of the resistance increase. I've inspected this image of the area and I think I need to fly more aircraft in here. The supply levels aren't the greatest I ever seen so we're going to have to stop here and form a line next to the Soviets and rest for a minute.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 72
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/10/2019 4:49:45 AM   
larryfulkerson

I can't remember if I've showcased the Pskov area yet. There are remarkably few Soviet units there and I'm able to go around the roadblocks emplaced there. The broken bridges are more of a nusence. The lack of manpower is slowing down the progress in this area. I need to constitute a reserve made up of Panzer Divisions. At least two of them. More would be better. For sure I'll need a reserve when the front lines form.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 73
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/11/2019 6:50:02 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Jonathann and this is the Pskov area now and I'm getting across the river and heading east. I haven't decided whether or when to invade Leningrad. It depends on how hard it is to get it. If there's only a light screen then I'll go for it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/11/2019 6:51:44 PM >

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 74
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/11/2019 9:08:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

A proper front line is forming starting near Orsha and I imagine that it will extend eventually north and south of here as well. The character of the game is slowly changing. We're going from meeting engagements to the grinding toe-to-toe kind of fighting that is more reminicent of WWI. The kind where arty kills more troops than bullets do. Machine guns, mortars, and grenades become tools of the trade. A reserve becomes a lot more important.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 75
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/11/2019 9:33:33 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the shape Minsk is in now...just two more small stacks to liquidate and it'll be cleared. I've already started moving people away from the battle. Only a few are needed now. A lot of these troops will become the reserve and will stay here at Minsk resting/training and I'm thinking of putting them on the rail, embarked, in order to make a faster rescue effort. I'm not sure that will treat their proficiency with a lot of love. On the other hand if they are needed and there's not enough rail cap to move them then they are perfectly useless. On the other hand, I can establish Panzer Divisions as a sort of local reserve and distribute them to the front lines at roughly equal distances from each other so they can be a support to each other, each of them on a rail hex. Let me try to do that instead.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 76
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/11/2019 9:45:54 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's happening down south. I've gotten across the bug river near the north end and I'm starting to grab and repair the crossings and I'm getting more and more troops on the east side of the bug each turn. I'm not real sure how far behind the Soviets I am. They may have already retreated through the crossings at Z-town and D-town. The biggest problem down here is the decided lack of Panzer Divisions. They are fast movers, can defend themselves in an ambush, and are ideal for the kind of terrain found in the south. It's obvious to me that I need to move some of these foot troops north and replace them with the Panzer divisions. Fortunately the rail isn't far away and the transfers can begin immediately.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 77
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/12/2019 4:29:45 AM   
larryfulkerson

Elements of the 18th Panzer Division have reached the Dneper River and are taking a short unofficial reorganizing break to let the rest of the division to arrive and bridge the river with the engineers and cross the river and keep going. That's the theory. The supply situation isn't so awfully bad yet but might become so on the east side of the Dneper. Somehow I've got to get the bridges repaired, especially those with a rail over them. The Panzers have gotten way out ahead of the leg troops in this area and it will take a turn or two for them to catch up. I haven't seen a lot of Soviet units in this area. Maybe it will stay that way for awhile.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 78
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/12/2019 4:48:11 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is a view of the river just north of Kiev and shows how the Axis units are flowing along the path of least resistance and I'm not sure but this looks like an area where a lot of Soviet units might garrison. I might ought to keep my units closer together in case they need to support each other all of a sudden. I'm finding a lot of these Soviet forts guarding the crossings and they aren't especially easy to push over. I'm actually losing people takeing them down. I've been wondering what would happen if I left them viable in my backfield. They can't move and if I leave them alone they won't hurt me. They DO clog up the rail that goes through there. And it looks like the zone of control it has might extend into the rail that passes horizontally just north of it. I'd hate to get shot at each time I pass by there. I'll just go ahead and kill them and avoid any surprises. Although sometimes surprises are a good thing.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 79
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/12/2019 5:03:25 AM   
larryfulkerson

I got this image from the jump map and it's almost useful. I appologize for how hard it is to see the details. I tried to expand it about 10% but even that isn't all that great. My point was to point out all the red units starting to form a front line everywhere but in the south. My theory is that they are starting to line up along the Dneper starting at Kiev and stretching down to D-town, around the corner, and over to Z-town and for all I know, down into the Crimea. It *IS* the largest Army in the world after all.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 80
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/12/2019 5:14:15 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is the takedown of the last Stalin Line remnant north of Kiev's latitude. I'm starting to swarm into the clear terrain due east reaching to the rivers east and south. I have to cross that expanse to clear it and for all I know it's teeming with Soviet units so with no resistance at all I can probably clear all that out in about two weeks. Contingent on resistance. I've got a team of RR engineers somewhere in that area repairing rail and I daresay that they won't be able to keep up with the advance once I get the Panzers down here and operating. The Rumanians will be the follow on forces to clean out all the remnants that will be easy to kill.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 81
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/12/2019 5:27:43 PM   
larryfulkerson

I think I've detected a tiny problem in Odessa. I have reason to believe that Jonathan has turned his CD guns around and is pounding my troops with them. How rude. I'm going to have to hit them from the air I guess. I don't have any ships in the black sea or I would use them for this. I have repaired the rail almost all the way to Odessa and I'm going to bring in some RR arty to pound the CD guns. Them first and then the regular arty and then the troops. It's going to take at least a month.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 82
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/12/2019 9:18:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've been moving units for several hours now and the new front lines are starting to take shape. I'm seeing remarkably few Soviet units. The bigger problem is the broken bridges. I'm getting troops across the last river to enter the territories and start spreading out, converting hexes and I'm hoping to eventually get the rail repaired in this area. I'm starting to get my Axis minors mixed up and that's not a good thing. They can't support each other so I've got to get the same colors back together before they get into serious combat. Supply levels at the front are in the high teens, high enough to keep going to the east and see if it's possible to get into the Crimea.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 83
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/13/2019 1:53:09 AM   
larryfulkerson

The Finns have been busy. They have destroyed several Soviet units and pushed their way south on their way to the stop line further south. The Soviets have brought up some arty and several more troops, probably with more on their way. I'm not sure it's safe to move some of the aircraft down closer to the action. The Soviet CD guns can reach out fairly far and none of my squadrons want to be bombarded thanks for asking. I've got to start working on the Soviet ships pretty soon or they will no doubt support the defense. I've got about a dozen Stukas and when I get them all together on one target I can usually lose about two dozen planes and get about 15% damage on the BB. I'm open to advice.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 84
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/14/2019 8:18:19 AM   
gliz2

Great read Larry but why no indication on the dates/turns? It's quite strange. Took me sometime to figure the timelines.

On my game I've pushed 60% of my mech/Pz between Riga and Pskov (got a bridge on Desna river by chance) bypassing Minsk and Smolensk and 30% used Prypet marshes for south of the Minsk flanking surprise (also bypassing Smolensk which will be left for Infantry to handle). I have to say Soviets were caught completely by surprise.
I think, as important this triangle (Pskov-Minsk-Smolensk) is the speed is a key. Taking control of Riga-Pskov line solves the supply issue and gives edge fir elastic operations (you can rapidly advance I think till turn 11-12).

< Message edited by gliz2 -- 1/14/2019 8:25:27 AM >

Post #: 85
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/14/2019 10:42:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: gliz2

Great read Larry but why no indication on the dates/turns? It's quite strange. Took me sometime to figure the timelines.

On my game I've pushed 60% of my mech/Pz between Riga and Pskov (got a bridge on Desna river by chance) bypassing Minsk and Smolensk and 30% used Prypet marshes for south of the Minsk flanking surprise (also bypassing Smolensk which will be left for Infantry to handle). I have to say Soviets were caught completely by surprise.

I think, as important this triangle (Pskov-Minsk-Smolensk) is the speed is a key. Taking control of Riga-Pskov line solves the supply issue and gives edge fir elastic operations (you can rapidly advance I think till turn 11-12).

You're of course correct. I'll make more of an effort to include the dates/turns on the images. And thanks for posting your verbage. Your opinion is important to us.

Paulogia, 2019

(in reply to gliz2)
Post #: 86
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/14/2019 5:58:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T16, new moves from Jonathan and here's what's happening in the area just north of Leningrad. The Finns are pushing hard and there's some German units in the fight too. There's a Soviet CD gun on the west side that I need to get rid of yet. And I'm thinking that I ought to cover the ports so that there won't be any Soviet invasions. Don't like surprises. I need to fly the aircraft down closer to the action. I need to repair the rail leading down here too.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 87
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/14/2019 8:00:04 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Pskov area before anybody has moved. I'm planning on sending out the recon units to get more information to start the planning on the next step. I'm wondering if I have enough people to take down the city. I might ought to start looking for a free Panzer division for duty up here. I haven't been watching the combat replay so Jonathan could have railed several divisions up here to defend. Hence the need to send out the recon units. Have them snoop around, see where everybody is. Get a feel for the battlefield situation now that it's changing. I've wrapped around the Soviets, now to destroy them and get the flow of supply moving through there.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 88
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/14/2019 8:23:53 PM   
larryfulkerson

I did this for you guys but I'm glad I did because it's only now that I see the glut of people leaving Minsk and that I need to split them up and send them north and south leaving only a few more for the middle. I can see for myself from this image that the north needs more formations. I've got a rail cap of 6K of which I have 6K left and that will move about 3 divisions worth of equipment I think, so I'll have to move them in waves over several turns.

Attachment (1)

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 89
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/14/2019 8:32:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

[T16 31Aug41]Okie dokie, I've run into the first stout roadblock the Soviets have built so far. I'm going to have to go around this guy, surround him, bombard him for a while, and then let the supported probes begin, the one-dot attacks to unentrench all the units in the hex, and then the three-dot attacks to destroy them. Other Axis forces north and south of here are running into roadblocks too.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/14/2019 8:39:42 PM >

Paulogia, 2019

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI