Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/28/2018 9:16:07 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a bird's eye view of the mountains in the southwest front lines showing the extent of the effort to clear out the Soviet units in some of the worst terrain on the map. There's a lot to do yet but there's a lot of searchers so maybe it'll be done this turn or the next. When they get done searching the mountains I'm going to send them toward the Crimea.

Attachment (1)

you can't get off unless you cough.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 31
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/28/2018 2:42:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T7 and this is the position of the front lines in the north. I'm still working on Riga but I did capture at least one river crossing and my troops are crossing and spreading out. I have no idea where the Soviet units are and my theater recon value is so low that I can't see them unless I'm adjacent to them. There were a couple of Soviet units in the peninsula but it's almost totally cleared out already. I'm probably going to need more people up here so I'd best start looking for a division that I can use as a reserve. I've tried going without a reserve and invariably I get into a situation where I need a reserve stat.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 32
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/28/2018 9:50:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the T8 front lines before I have started moving anything. This represents a new set of moves from Jonathan. I'm STILL working on Riga but at least I've captured more than one river crossing and my units have started to cross the river and fan out to look for the Soviet units that I'm expecting to find. I've cleared out the peninsula except for one port. I'm repairing rail from just south of Riga toward the east to hopefully provide some supply to those folks that have already crossed the river. I'm still making my way through the marshes having to repair a lot of bridges as we go east. Down south a lot of progress is being made because of the better terrain and the use of Panzers. The supply levels are more than adequate and I checked out the use of Soviet aircraft during combat and they seem to be hit and miss. Mine are present every turn. I received some fresh divisions and I promise to employ all of them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 33
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/28/2018 11:47:03 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's getting crowded around Minsk lately. I'm moving units around the sides, top and bottom, so that I can get a good surround established before the serious attacks start. The rails aren't as close as I would like but the supply levels are almost enough for operations. I'm trying to keep the arty near the front to support the units moving through territory known to be recently occupied by Soviet units. I need to check out the aircraft each turn to move the fighters to the front and the bombers behind them a comfortable distance. I'm wondering what the chance is of a Soviet airfield strike. I tried one last turn and it wasn't worth the effort, we both lost the same number of planes. The problem is that mine are a lot more expensive than his. And mine are few at best. The soviet factories are pumping out about 120 planes per day of all types. That's just a wild guess. I'm not all that familiar with the Soviet OOB any longer. I've been playing the Axis side too long.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 34
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/29/2018 3:44:28 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've moved enough units forward to discern that Jonathan has constructed an MLR presumably all the way around Minsk. Maybe it doesn't go all the way around Minsk and maybe there's a weak spot. I may have to fly some extra fighters and bombers into this area for the brutal battle that's going to occur. I think I'll need another four or five turns to get the surround in place. Depending on resistance and terrain and supply levels and broken bridges, etc. I've noticed that in this scenario it seems like all the action is happening in slow motion...it takes so many more turns to get somewhere on the map. The rails aren't quite keeping up with the front except in the north. I'll have to transfer some RR engineers to where the need is. Another thing I want to do is separate the Panzers from the other combat groups so I can use them as the local reserve here and there up and down the front lines. I think I've got enough Panzer formations to do that.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 35
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/29/2018 3:54:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm just about to emerge from the marshes toward the middle and I'm wondering if I should abandon other attempts to penetrate the marshes and maximize the effect of coming out of the marshes in this AO, forcing a crossing on the next river to the east for instance. Then spread out and roll up the Soviet lines north and south of this spot. I'll need a lot more troops to do that. This calls for Panzers anyway.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 36
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/29/2018 3:20:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is what's going on just north of Leningrad right now. The Finns are pushing the Soviet units backward and pretty soon will be able to isolate Leningrad from the northern Finland area. I'm hoping to be at the Finn Stop Line in another five turns or so.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 37
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/30/2018 12:02:46 PM   
larryfulkerson

More of the Finns became active so there's a battle going on just north of Leningrad and so far the Finns have dominated. They, the Finns, are pushing the Soviet units slowly south and have the goal of making it to the stop line just north of Leningrad.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 38
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/30/2018 12:03:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's T9 and more of the Finns became active so there's a battle going on just north of Leningrad and so far the Finns have dominated. They, the Finns, are pushing the Soviet units slowly south and have the goal of making it to the stop line just north of Leningrad.

Post #: 39
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/30/2018 12:11:34 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've finally captured and cleared out the port of Riga. Now to zoom to the NE as fast as the units can go. I need to redeploy some of the RR enginneers to repair the rail going north from Riga. AGN is parked in Riga for now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 40
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/30/2018 8:49:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what Minsk looks like now. I'm still in the process of moving units around the Minsk defenders. I want to surround the entire complex before I start killing Soviets. It might prolong the game but it will eliminate a lot of Soviet equipment. I'm not really going for the objectives, I want to kill Soviet units. The more I kill the less I have to fight them in the future. That's the theory.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 41
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/31/2018 1:00:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

This image is down south, at the northern end of the Stalin Line and shows what seems to be a huge hole in the Soviet lines. I defeated a defender and all of a sudden I'm making progress again. I don't have an overage of troops so I'm going to make a bulge as big as it will go and see if I can't turn this into a left hook and roll up the Soviet lines going south.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 42
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 12/31/2018 12:13:33 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on just north of Leningrad and you can see how the Finns are pushing the Soviet units backward. Only about 2/3 of the Finns are active but already progress is being made.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 43
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/1/2019 2:48:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Jonathan and this is the T10 front lines and you can see that I'm falling way behind schedule. The front line isn't moving as quickly as I would like. But the supply levels are great so I guess I shouldn't complain that much. My theater recon value is so low that the Soviet units aren't showing up on my map. Sometimes I don't see the Soviet unit until I have moved adjacent to it. My recon units are invaluable because of that. I've started using the combat units to clear terrain too because there's so few Soviet units from turn to turn and not every unit is needed on the front line. The follow on forces have almost caught up to the front because of the lack of Soviet units. It seems that the front units don't always bypass their obstacle but steamroll it and destroy it and there's nothing for the follow on forces to do. It all depends on the size of the defending force, whether it's a division or not. If it's small enough for the front forces, the recon units, to RBC the enemy unit then it has permission to do so. But no combats where assets will be lost. Instead bypass that bad boy and keep going.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 44
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/1/2019 6:44:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've decided that I don't want to wait for the surround to be complete before I sieze the city of Minsk so I'm pushing toward the city to see if I can capture it by doing a "hey diddle diddle right up the middle" kind of thing and at the same time keep moving units around the city. The Soviets are slowly backing up so this may work.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 45
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/2/2019 8:25:17 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the Odessa area right now. I'm crossing the river and going around a Soviet defender and getting into the Soviet backfield. Soon I'll have dispatched the Soviet defender and repaired the bridge and will have a clear path to Odessa. It'll take a couple of turns but it's a matter of time really.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 46
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/2/2019 2:13:41 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what Minsk looks like now. I got tired of waiting for the surround to be completed and I'm going for the gold. There's been several combat phases and this is round 4 and I have 50% of the turn left. Everybody has moved for this turn and the only thing happening now is the assignment of units to attacks and pulling the trigger. Minor adjustments of position are sometimes necessary due to enemy units moving after having been pushed out of the hex by the attack. I should have this all cleaned up in about 5 turns or so.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 47
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/2/2019 10:53:13 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Jonathan and this is the front lines before I have started moving anybody. The clump in the middle is Minsk and the battle rages as we speak. Units in the south will be running out of good supply areas soon and the advance will have to slow down. It's late July and I'm way way behind schedule.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 48
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/2/2019 11:14:13 PM   
larryfulkerson

The railhead for the middle route has finally reached Minsk and the RR engineers can go elsewhere and start working on something else. Because the rail is so close the supply levels are great. I've moved some RR arty into the AO to help the takedown.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 49
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/3/2019 8:58:41 AM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Jonathan and this is after I've been moving a lot of units. This is after I've been moving units for about 4 hours. This is Minsk now. I've gotten the city defenders surrounded and isolated ready for the final blow. Now I need to try to squeeze all these Soviet defenders into a single hex ready for bombardments before the assaults. One-dot attacks with lots of arty backing it up ought to kill the Soviets rather quickly. I'm told that taking Minsk will result in some detrament to Soviet supply or reinforcements or both. Something like 5% or so.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 50
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/3/2019 9:30:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

Axis forces are starting to emerge the marshes in the middle and are running into Soviet forces finally. The railhead for this route is close to the front and I've got units clearing out the terrain in the marshes because that's where most of the partisans spawn. Although we're skipping the partisans in this game. There was a TO to cancel them and I have a vague memory of clicking on it. I remember seeing the button as green, as having been clicked on. Which is a good thing because I hate having to chase down partisans. There are very few airfields in the marshes which is a tiny handicap.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 51
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/3/2019 9:53:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

East of Minsk are a couple of rivers that I will havee to fight for and I'm across the first river already although there's a lot of crossings to capture yet and the supply levels are not great on the other side of the first river so I may have to wait for the rail to catch up before proceeding. Although there's a great priority to keep the advance going when it's a possibility. I hope to have Minsk wrapped up soon, maybe another 7 turns or so.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 52
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/3/2019 7:55:11 PM   
larryfulkerson

Down south the Axis forces are flowing like water in the path of least resistance and the engineers are busy trying to repair all the busted bridges in the path of the advance. There are very few Soviet units and they don't tend to support each other but rather are a singleton and by themselves usually a Soviet fort in a road hex or a bridge hex. The image shows a lot of units that are red. What's happening is that at the start of the turn the unit is yellow which is okay for a move and by the time it arrives at it's destination it has turned red. Supply is rather low down south.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 53
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/4/2019 3:59:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

The Axis forces are approaching Pskov and there's no sign of any Soviet units. I expect to run into them as we arrive at Pskov however because there's an outstanding natural terrain feature that's good for defense. I would expect Jonathan would want to take advantage of that. I'm trying to keep the arty near the front and the aircraft also near the front. The follow on forces have caught up with the recon units for the most part and there's beginning to be a traffic problem developing. I'm going to have to get better organized and drive them down the road in order of the OOB to keep from having to walk over the top of another stack of my units. Also, I need to spread them out better to get more terrain coverage.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 54
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/4/2019 4:20:43 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've been moving units and assigning attacks and this is what Minsk looks like now. I'm hoping to have this area all cleared up in another 5 turns or so.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 55
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/4/2019 10:26:18 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's happening just north of Leningrad. The Finns are pushing to the city and making slow progress.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 56
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/4/2019 10:38:43 PM   
larryfulkerson

You can't see it at this zoom out level but there's a rail leading up to Murmansk from the south of this image. Axis forces are fighting to clear it of enemy units and start the repairs of it so that supply can flow up to the port from the south. The supply levels near Murmansk are poor to none. No battles can be attempted. Defense is a question mark. It's going to take a while to get the supply up there and hopefully Jonathan is having supply problems too and he won't attack me. I'm talking about another six months at least.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 57
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/4/2019 10:54:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a section of the front lines where progress is being made. I've run into some Soviet units, more Soviet units than I've run into in a while. I can't leave them operational in my rear I guess so I'll dispatch them. My engineers are working time and a half on the bridges that the Soviets broke as they were racing to the rear. Jonathan tells me that I should be running into his troops soon, the main MLR I mean. The character of the game will change when that happens.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 58
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/5/2019 1:27:39 AM   
Dreamslayer

From the house rules for this scenario:
quote:

The Finns may only move to the yellow dotted line, representing their historical advance.. If Leningrad falls, the restriction on the Finns are lifted. They may however only be in Finland or Russia.
Only certain other axis units may enter Finland/Norway.
Units with a special colour: – namely: grey edge, white center and blue icons. See examples below:

2 SS divisions are also allowed to be in Finland/Norway. These are: Kampgruppe Nord and 6th SS Geb Div.
German naval units are allowed to be in Finland/Norway
Any other german units are allowed to sail THROUGH Hangø (but they may not debark there). If they are caught in Hangø the german player must disband the units as soon as possible.

If any of the units that are in Finland/Norway are destroyed these units will reconstitue in Germany, but the german player are allowed to send them back to Finland/Norway.

Units starting in Norway (Marine Art, HKKA etc) are of course allowed to be in Norway. If they are activated they can leave Norway, but may not enter Finland (because they are the wrong color)

Post #: 59
RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis - 1/5/2019 3:54:18 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dreamslayer

From the house rules for this scenario:
quote:

The Finns may only move to the yellow dotted line, representing their historical advance.. If Leningrad falls, the restriction on the Finns are lifted. They may however only be in Finland or Russia.
Only certain other axis units may enter Finland/Norway.
Units with a special colour: – namely: grey edge, white center and blue icons. See examples below:

2 SS divisions are also allowed to be in Finland/Norway. These are: Kampgruppe Nord and 6th SS Geb Div.
German naval units are allowed to be in Finland/Norway
Any other german units are allowed to sail THROUGH Hangø (but they may not debark there). If they are caught in Hangø the german player must disband the units as soon as possible.

If any of the units that are in Finland/Norway are destroyed these units will reconstitue in Germany, but the german player are allowed to send them back to Finland/Norway.

Units starting in Norway (Marine Art, HKKA etc) are of course allowed to be in Norway. If they are activated they can leave Norway, but may not enter Finland (because they are the wrong color)

Thank you for that. I had forgotten or had never known that. I especially liked to find out that German units killed up north respawn in Germany. That means that I can disband them and use them down south instead. Is that gamey?

(in reply to Dreamslayer)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE2 Cantonia Allies larry Axis Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI