Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Guadalcanal Garrison Aug 7, 1942

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Guadalcanal Garrison Aug 7, 1942 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Guadalcanal Garrison Aug 7, 1942 - 12/15/2018 12:25:11 AM   
jmolyson

I guess without Japanese fighters based at Lunga, they felt they could wait to the first contingent arrived on the airfield to activate the rasar.

Joe

(in reply to Hrafnagud)
Post #: 31
RE: Guadalcanal Garrison Aug 7, 1942 - 12/15/2018 12:27:43 AM   
jmolyson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buckrock

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmolyson

In the episode of "The Pacific" dealing with Battle of the Tenaru (aka Battle of the Ilu River or Battle of Alligator Creek), Marines find a folded U.S. flag in the rucksack of a Japanese soldier. A comment is made that "these must be the guys who took Guam." I don't know if that's just Hollywood dialog or an actual incident. Certainly Ichiki's men had been involved with overrunning several U.S. garrisons.

If a US flag was found amongst the dead of Ichiki's force, it doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the Marine reports concerning the action. Just prior to Ichiki's assault, it was known from documents captured after Brush's ambush the day before that a sizable IJA unit had just arrived on Guadalcanal from Truk and had surprisingly accurate maps of the main US positions around the airfield. Just a few days after Ichiki's assault, it was known what IJA regiment had been involved, its strength, its leader's name and that the unit had combat experience (in China), had considerable amphibious training and been earmarked for the (aborted) Midway landing, had then gone to Guam (long after it had been captured in Dec '41) and had then sailed for Truk and then onto Guadalcanal. The Marine divisional and regimental records mention the use of captured documents (including diaries) and interrogation of three prisoners as the source of the information.

Although the Marines had all the information they needed to build this picture of Ichiki's force in a relatively short time, I'd suggest if they had also found a US flag on the body of one of Ichiki's dead, it should have been unusual enough that you would think someone would have noted it in one of the reports.

Doesn't mean it definitely never happened though. Hollywood doesn't make everything up.

True. The Pacific (at least the mini-series) doesn't list other than general sources. I haven't read the book.

Joe

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 32
RE: Guadalcanal Garrison Aug 7, 1942 - 12/15/2018 12:37:33 AM   
jmolyson

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

quote:

There are no bogus play balance cheats in AE.

What then do you call having Gen Kawaguchi and his 124th Regt/35 Brigade sitting at Tassaforonga on Aug 7th with 100% preparation?

Since the Kawaguchi Brigade didn't arrive at all until the end of August/beginning of Sept and the game's systems would likely make it next to impossible for the Japanese to establish a viable beachhead on Guadalcanal (only 2 hexes) if it wasn't there that would seem like a play balance thing to me.

Me too. That's ok if you want play balance.

When I run my modded scenario, all units are all corrected back to historical locations.

Tsugaru leads it rump task force carrying the scratched together troops from the 8th BF out of Rabaul and passed the American submarines placed in their historic patrol zones.

Misawa's cruisers move south to ruin RADM Turner's day and pass the submarine gauntlet on the way back the next morning.

The Bettys and Vals attack the Transport Force the same day.

Joe

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 33
RE: Guadalcanal Garrison Aug 7, 1942 - 12/15/2018 2:48:21 AM   
Buckrock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady
What is or are the sources for the detailed breakdown of Japanese forces and activities listed above

The information I've posted comes mainly from Jersey's "Hell's Islands". In Appendix 2, it has a detailed OOB list of the Japanese ground forces in the Guadalcanal/Tulagi area up to the time of the US landing.

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 34
RE: Guadalcanal Garrison Aug 7, 1942 - 12/15/2018 3:18:33 AM   
Brady

quote:

quote:

What is or are the sources for the detailed breakdown of Japanese forces and activities listed above

The information I've posted comes mainly from Jersey's "Hell's Islands". In Appendix 2, it has a detailed OOB list of the Japanese ground forces in the Guadalcanal/Tulagi area up to the time of the US landing.

Thanks, I ordered it...

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 35
RE: Guadalcanal Garrison Aug 7, 1942 - 12/15/2018 3:21:38 AM   
spence

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmolyson

In the episode of "The Pacific" dealing with Battle of the Tenaru (aka Battle of the Ilu River or Battle of Alligator Creek), Marines find a folded U.S. flag in the rucksack of a Japanese soldier. A comment is made that "these must be the guys who took Guam." I don't know if that's just Hollywood dialog or an actual incident. Certainly Ichiki's men had been involved with overrunning several U.S. garrisons.

If a US flag was found amongst the dead of Ichiki's force, it doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the Marine reports concerning the action. Just prior to Ichiki's assault, it was known from documents captured after Brush's ambush the day before that a sizable IJA unit had just arrived on Guadalcanal from Truk and had surprisingly accurate maps of the main US positions around the airfield. Just a few days after Ichiki's assault, it was known what IJA regiment had been involved, its strength, its leader's name and that the unit had combat experience (in China), had considerable amphibious training and been earmarked for the (aborted) Midway landing, had then gone to Guam (long after it had been captured in Dec '41) and had then sailed for Truk and then onto Guadalcanal. The Marine divisional and regimental records mention the use of captured documents (including diaries) and interrogation of three prisoners as the source of the information.

Although the Marines had all the information they needed to build this picture of Ichiki's force in a relatively short time, I'd suggest if they had also found a US flag on the body of one of Ichiki's dead, it should have been unusual enough that you would think someone would have noted it in one of the reports.

Doesn't mean it definitely never happened though. Hollywood doesn't make everything up.

True. The Pacific (at least the mini-series) doesn't list other than general sources. I haven't read the book.

I would not be in the least surprised if some Japanese soldier had picked up a souvenir while on Guam. Certainly there were many US soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who sold things they'd picked up along the way even if they'd never been any nearer to the actual fight than being on the same island as where it occurred. I suspect the average Japanese soldier was not that different than US soldiers (etc) as far as souvenirs were concerned.

< Message edited by spence -- 12/15/2018 3:22:39 AM >

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 36
RE: Guadalcanal Garrison Aug 7, 1942 - 12/15/2018 7:12:45 AM   
Buckrock

quote:

Thanks, I ordered it...

It's the most detailed authored account I've read covering both the US and Japanese sides during the main period of the campaign. There's been some criticism of too much low-level detail distracting from the main narrative but to each their own.

Hope you find it useful.

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Guadalcanal Garrison Aug 7, 1942 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI