Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Terrain Info Box Data

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Terrain Info Box Data Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Terrain Info Box Data - 12/8/2018 4:20:37 PM   
kevinkins

The box is great and fun to use. Is the data for each terrain type available in a table of some sort (spreadsheet)? Perhaps the developers or testers worked off of one they can post. Maybe a player started on one we can add to. Anyway, a one pager would help players learn the game and develop tactics I think.

Kevin

< Message edited by kevinkin -- 12/8/2018 4:29:40 PM >

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

Post #: 1
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/8/2018 5:02:42 PM   
Veitikka

Currently the terrain attribute values are hard-coded in the C++ code. They've never been listed elsewhere.

Know thyself!

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 2
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/8/2018 7:41:47 PM   
22sec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veitikka

Currently the terrain attribute values are hard-coded in the C++ code. They've never been listed elsewhere.

I can’t remember what you’ve said in the past about making these attributes editable. Is that ever a possibility that could be implemented?

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 3
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/8/2018 9:44:33 PM   
kevinkins

Let's not make this too difficult. I am not looking to edit the terrain attribute values. I just think an old fashioned table of the data that can be printed out would be very valuable. The data is not proprietary since it is viewable within the game. Does the developer think players should make the table themselves when all the developers have to do is a copy-paste from their C++ source code? Do the values change each time a scenario it loaded? If so, we need to know.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to 22sec)
Post #: 4
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/8/2018 10:40:08 PM   
CCIP-subsim

+1 to the ability to edit them, though - if that's something you'd consider (along with ability to create new custom tiles), I would completely use it!

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 5
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/8/2018 11:50:27 PM   
kevinkins

The terrain data exists ... and it is not a secret to players. The data must exist in a form that can be exported into spreadsheet or something. I am not looking to edit the data, just review it over a bagel at breakfast.

Kevin

< Message edited by kevinkin -- 12/9/2018 3:10:13 AM >

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 6
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/9/2018 3:13:59 AM   
Perturabo

Also, SoftDamageType.xml would be nice.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 7
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/9/2018 7:02:28 AM   
zacklaws

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

The box is great and fun to use. Is the data for each terrain type available in a table of some sort (spreadsheet)? Perhaps the developers or testers worked off of one they can post. Maybe a player started on one we can add to. Anyway, a one pager would help players learn the game and develop tactics I think.

Kevin

Just create your own chart, it would not take long. Create a scenario, don't bother playing it and just click on the map on all the different types of terrain noting the values in the terrain box etc.

You could even do it whilst playing a scenario or just adding to an existing list as you come across types of terrain you have missed.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 8
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/9/2018 11:45:17 AM   
kevinkins

I started that and stopped figuring the data has to have been collated during the development of AB. This is not an unreasonable assumption and I really hate re-inventing the wheel. Terrain effects tables are the bread and butter of many wargames. I'll wait a while and see if Veitikka can share something with us. Otherwise, I will grind one out.

Kevin

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to zacklaws)
Post #: 9
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/9/2018 8:14:31 PM   
Veitikka

quote:

ORIGINAL: 22sec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veitikka

I can’t remember what you’ve said in the past about making these attributes editable. Is that ever a possibility that could be implemented?

Perhaps in the future, but the system is not very flexible, because of all the special characteristics terrain types can have.

Know thyself!

(in reply to 22sec)
Post #: 10
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/9/2018 8:24:44 PM   
Veitikka

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

Let's not make this too difficult. I am not looking to edit the terrain attribute values. I just think an old fashioned table of the data that can be printed out would be very valuable. The data is not proprietary since it is viewable within the game. Does the developer think players should make the table themselves when all the developers have to do is a copy-paste from their C++ source code? Do the values change each time a scenario it loaded? If so, we need to know.

Kevin

Making a table of them is one of the many things that could be done in this project. Personally though I don't know how such table could help players, but perhaps some could find it useful. There are values that change with the environment, for example bad ground condition decreases trafficability, and leafless/burnt trees/forest have several altered values.

All the terrain attributes are subject to change.

Know thyself!

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 11
RE: Terrain Info Box Data - 12/9/2018 10:47:03 PM   
kevinkins

You just confused the entire AB base of players. How are we to play a game where "All the terrain attributes are subject to change."

Kevin

PS: I see what you mean re: ground condition changing standard/basic terrain attributes like movement. I will put together a table and post it with some sort of explanation of how it could be useful and how it might not be so. Looks like the data will have to be assembled for day and night and different weather conditions.

< Message edited by kevinkin -- 12/10/2018 12:19:22 PM >

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to Veitikka)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Terrain Info Box Data Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI