From: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Dave (Fabertong) and I started a match yesterday. I haven't run Turn 1 yet, but here are some foundational things:
1. Stock Scenario 2. I recall playing this against Miller many years ago. My memory is that Japan gets four more infantry divisions, some more destroyers, and some kind of bump in supply. That's about all I remember, and that may be inaccurate.
2. If I'm right, that means no additional cruisers, BBs or carriers. That's important, to my way of thinking.
3. PDU On. That means a never-ending air war, from my blighted, embittered perspective.
4. Withdrawals Off. A welcome reprieve from having to keep track of that and having to relearn, for the 17th time, that I can't withdraw S-Class subs from Pearl Harbor.
5. All settings were Dave's suggestions.
6. No House Rules were discussed other than opening day - I was able to move China units and Force Z. I wasn't sure whether the Force Z idea also applied to American TFs already in existence, such as CA Houston, so I didn't give them orders.
7. We'll discuss other house rules as they come up, I suppose. I'll self-impose the standard "PP to cross political borders," though I'll request an exception for India-theater units moving into Upper Assam, such as the Akyab region.
As for the title, I'm starting this match with the idea of focusing on information - receiving it, evaluating it, and acting on it. That's probably the most fun part of the game, to me. I begin the game with little info, hence the title of this AAR. The Wal-Mart on Ice version is my tribute to the complexity of this game. Playing AE is like a visit to Wal-Mart on busy Saturday afternoon, logarithemically increased.
Edited to Add House Rule Notes (as of 12/09/18)
1. The first-day rules have already expired (only units in China could move, plus Force Z).
2. The usual rule requiring PPs to move units across borders (standard exceptions for Thai units moving in neighboring countries and Indian-theater troops moving into Assam as far as Akyab).
< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 12/10/2018 2:18:34 AM >