Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sicily 43

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Sicily 43 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sicily 43 - 12/7/2018 11:03:30 PM   
John B.

It's been awhile since I've hauled out TOAW IV so I thought I'd give Sicily '43 a go. I'm the Axis and the allies have just launched their invasion. Lot's of bashing the hapless Italians but I sense a few opportunities in the center with the HG division. Goering himself may be fat and lazy, but his division is not. Otherwise, I'll be marching to the sound of the guns and trying to dig in and hold on!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/7/2018 11:26:16 PM   
John B.

Here is the situation at the end of the first turn in which I learned the important lesson to not have my harbor defense attack allied ships. :) HG is not in the best position although it did roughly handle an allied battalion. On to turn two!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 2
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 12:09:45 AM   
John B.

It's the start of turn four and things may have stabilized just a bit. The Allies did wipe out a Tiger battalion of the HG division but the Axis retaliated by destroying an allied armor battalion. As you can see, the Italians and Germans are fighting bravely to hold the primosole bridge on the eastern coast and the river lines there. Intel puts british readiness at 50-60%.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 3
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 12:10:58 AM   
John B.

Down in the South the Italians are also holding the river line. The Americans are making progress, but it's taking time and the Italians are able to at least dig in a bit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 4
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 12:14:25 AM   
John B.

The heaviest losses are in Italian infantry and weapons with the sad loss of almost all of the tigers.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 5
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 12:14:56 AM   
John B.

Here is the picture that should go with the last post.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 6
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 12:18:27 AM   
John B.

I don't know what enemy losses are, but from the looks of things, they are taking some nice hits. My guess is that their units are worth more VP-wise so the loss of the entire armor battalion is going to sting (and lead to lots of bad movies in the 1950s).

I'm sure that they'll liberate many more towns, but my current plan is to keep the Germans in a position to fall back on Messina while holding the current river lines as long as possible.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 7
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 1:14:08 AM   
John B.

Day 5 dawns and in the south and center, the allies make some gains with penetrations against the Italians along the coast and the the HG division in the center. I was a bit disappointed that the Italians retreated from a fortified position, but, then again, the Germans were entrenched in a town and could not hold it. The main question here is do I pull the HG division back or try to hold here as long as possible. I hate to lose these units!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 8
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 1:20:56 AM   
John B.

Meanwhile, in the north, the Brits are grinding through the Italian fortified line. I've got a number of German paratroop units from Brigade Schmaltz just to the rear and it looks like they'll set up the next line of defense. The allies are 10% of the way through the game so there is a long time to go!

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 9
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 1:21:48 AM   
John B.

I seem to have the biggest problem in pushing the right buttons to get the picture to post!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 10
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 7:22:57 PM   
John B.

So for turn five the order went forth "if you have shovels use them!" We dug in up and down the line. The greatest danger is in the center where there is nothing behind the Italian division that is circled. And, the allies are putting a great deal of pressure on the HG division. I'm trying to extricate it but the units keep getting engaged. Things are tougher for the allies on the coast. The Germans are fortified and there are still units of airborne brigade Schmaltz in reserve.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 11
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 7:24:26 PM   
John B.

Down in the south the Italians continue to dig in and they've started work on the next river line. Let's see how good Patton is on doing a recon in force through these boys!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 12
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 7:35:44 PM   
John B.

More hard fighting during the allied turn 6. The Italians may not be willing to fight for Mussolini but they are standing firm to defend their homeland. Even the allied victories were costly given the number of units they often attacked with.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 13
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/8/2018 7:39:26 PM   
John B.

No news on the eastern coast but even with two turns in a row (I guess I should not make fun of Patton, his spirit was not happy) the allies were not able to get a break through in the center. But, they are breaking in. It remains to be seen if I can seal off these pimples in my line. There are no reserves behind these units so perhaps I need to send the rest of brigade Schmaltz that way.

A number of fortified Italians held their ground which is very good to see!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 14
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/9/2018 3:17:04 PM   
John B.

It's turn 7 and in the East, as you can see, the British and the Americans have each pushed deeper into the Axis lines. I think that lead British armor battalion is due for some push back since it' in the red and surrounded. I can also see the two american divisional HQs in the center (the 45th and 1st divisions). the HG may send an armor battalion and a KG out of their trenches for a little counter attack there as well.

On the coast the British are stymied and have some nice overstacks that will be the target of the Italian shore guns up in Catania.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 15
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/9/2018 3:19:22 PM   
John B.

In the West the Americans pushed a little further but did not make significant progress. I'm also set up to have the Italians be a pain by recapturing some towns along the American supply lines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 16
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/10/2018 11:59:59 PM   
John B.

Turn 8. If the allies are going to leave their supply lines open then the Italians will send in company sized parties to take important towns and at least slow the allies down for a turn or so. And, if these troops have a little "chat" with those residents who welcomed the allies with open arms, well, then that's just all for the good isn't it. :) Doesn't that one american armor battalion that is nearly surrounded on the southern coast look tempting?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 17
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/11/2018 12:01:44 AM   
John B.

Up in the north and center a German counter attack pushed back the two allied HQ but I'll probably lose an HG panzer battalion for my troubles. I just hope it interferes with allied supply here in the center. I did push back the advanced british battalion and cut down their penetration on this front. And, reinforcements have arrived!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 18
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/11/2018 10:25:52 PM   
John B.

Turn 8 went well for the Axis. In the south, an Italian attack on an armor battalion was beaten back but in the center there was more success. Two American battalions were pushed back with heavy losses and in the attack on the right the Germans regained the river line and broke apart one British battalion.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 19
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/11/2018 10:28:19 PM   
John B.

On the coast another British salient was pushed back and the Axis managed to shorten its line. The Allies then failed a force proficiency check so the Axis can continue their attack or dig in and consolidate gains. I'm likely to stand pat in the coast an push some more in the center. I've also just gotten elements of a new Panzer Grenadier division and a fresh battalion of the HG division. Oddly, there has not been much news from the allied airforce in a couple of turns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 20
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/12/2018 11:37:00 PM   
John B.

So, Skynet is clearly becoming self-aware as the AI gave itself two turns in a row. :) Here in the center it is a hard fought and see saw battle I made progress at the western circle but was pushed back and it looks like british armor is across the river in the eastern circle. I may send more of brigade Schmaltz to shore up the defenses here, I'm just glad that there are no bridges so that should hamper their resupply flow. I'm currently sitting on a significant victory but mainly because I still hold most of the island and there have been high allied casualties.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 21
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/12/2018 11:39:42 PM   
John B.

In the West there are no German formations and the allies were able to punch a hole in my lines and get part of the second armor division to the rear. However, they persist in not guarding their supply line and I may be able to blow the two bridges in my turn. Still, sooner or later they will get through this line and then just mop up here.

The update message just said that Mussolini was overthrown. I wonder if this will affect the Italian units in any way?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 22
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/13/2018 9:43:34 PM   
John B.

We're into Day 11 and the Allies continue to apply relentless pressure in the center. They have taken very heavy casualties but have, again, pushed across the river and disorganized a German Panzer Grenadier battalion. There just is not too much available to keep throwing them back. And, while I keep putting them out of supply, counter attacking means giving up my entrenchments. All is quiet on the coast which is a bit odd since the Brits have three very powerful stacks well supplied and well organize at the bridge. As long as they sit there, I'm winning so I guess that I should not complain. But, oh for some heavy guns to shell those overstacks! :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 23
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/13/2018 9:46:56 PM   
John B.

Down south, Patton has clearly been reading the riot act to the second armored division. As you can see, it is starting to push aside the Italians along the coast road. There really is not that much to stop him with as the Italian divisions are pretty weak and being battered by the American tank units. My boys on the bridges to the rear held their ground this turn, however, so that's got to be hurting allied supply (although Agrigento may be a port that would be supplying second armored, I"m not sure about that).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 24
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/13/2018 10:22:46 PM   
John B.

We're into turn 13 and the Axis had some nice attacks. The Italians destroyed a battalion from the 1st US ID.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 25
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/13/2018 10:23:57 PM   
John B.

In the north/west there is really bitter fighting at the river with the 1st Canadian division getting pushed back from their bridge head. Still all quiet along the coast!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 26
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/13/2018 10:25:17 PM   
John B.

In that previous screen shot the circle and arrow is from a fresh regiment of the 29th Panzer Grenidier division. It has to go out to the west to block the allies because . . .

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 27
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/13/2018 10:26:47 PM   
John B.

The Italian line is creaking loudly. The second armored continues to expand along the coast road while there is a possible breakthrough in the center with only the lone Italian engineer unit currently between the Americans and Palermo. That's why the new regiment is headed that way!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 28
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/15/2018 1:54:59 PM   
John B.

Day 14 did not see too much action. The allies made only a few attacks and suffered some pretty heavy losses. The Germans did three bombardments and eliminated 20 squads or so. But, my view is that every slow turn is a Axis victory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 29
RE: Sicily 43 - 12/15/2018 1:57:06 PM   
John B.

In the South the 2nd armored did not make much progress or really do much of anything. The brave Italian battalion (circled) in the south held out against two different assaults by a battalion of rangers. In the center, however, Truscott is pushing his 3rd ID up the center and his spearheads are now about 1/2 the way across the island.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Sicily 43 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI