I bought the game few days ago, all modules. This is my first Combat Mission game, I never knew they existed until now.
- the gameplay is great. Lots of choices of equipment, fire support, UAVs. It gives a sense of realism, the troops behave in believable way.
- UI is simple, yet powerful, it's fun to use.
- mission editor and quick battle are really good, infinite possibilities.
- sound is pretty good, creates nice atmosphere.
- Presentation ranges from ugly to functional, I can get a really good shot sometimes from certain angles, especially when I avoid showing the terrain. While equipment models are good and nicely detailed, the terrain, shading and lighting is something from mid 90's at best. Textures get blurry, shadows flicker, the game feels like very unfinished/outdated piece. I don't expect AAA graphics here though.
- The game uses obsolete graphics rendering technology and performs really badly, even on top end hardware (running 5gz 8700k, 2080ti, 32gb of fast RAM here, everything is on M2 drives). My frame rates vary from 25 fps to 3000 fps (! - and yes, I know I can limit frames etc. but it won't change the fact that rendering "engine" this game uses doesn't perform). The game uses modern hardware poorly.
- Multiplayer is there, but again in mid 90's form. Connection by IP or PBEM (I actually like PBEM). No lobby, no community.
I have no issues with licence system.
Overall, I think it's a very unique game with great, never seen anywhere else gameplay, but it's wider adoption is hindered by obsolete, very low level of presentation and virtually lack of accessible multiplayer which leads to very limited exposure and invisible community. I understand that the game is made by a very small team with limited resources and most of the man power goes to simulation part of the game, which shows - pure gameplay part of the game is very good. Having said that, I believe that bringing the presentation and multiplayer/community part of the game to even low end modern standards would bring more players on board and make the game much more popular.
Was it worth the price? Yes! I am having fun playing it, and there is a tiny hope that if the game sells, the devs will consider some graphics/rendering engine updates
< Message edited by reverendCrast -- 12/8/2018 9:14:51 AM >