Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Chinese railroads during the war...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Chinese railroads during the war... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chinese railroads during the war... - 11/17/2018 3:53:37 PM   
m10bob

Our "friends" of Wikipedia have offered this info ref the building of railroads prior to WW2 in China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rail_transport_in_China

The thing that piqued my interest was a rail sign I saw at the beginning of an old thirties classic "Shanghai Express" which listed Peiping, Tientsin,Yen Chow, Chinkiang, Tsinan, Sutsien, Pukow, and Shanghai.
These are the spellings being used in the thirties.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 11/17/2018 3:57:02 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Chinese railroads during the war... - 11/18/2018 3:35:39 PM   
Skyros

The actual layout was much more expansive then shown in that map. Of course large segments were destroyed during the late thirties and early forties to thwart Japanese expansion. The best map I have seen is the maps in the board game War of Resistance. They even include railroads that were proposed before the war and built afterwards and it is up to you as the player to apply your meager resources to repair or expand different railroads.

Here is the WWII era description from the article.

During the Second Sino-Japanese War of 1937-1945, the Republican government dismantled a number of railways to slow the Japanese advance and added 1,900 km of railways, mostly in the interior of China after coastal regions were occupied.[2] Among the completed lines were the Longhai Railway (Lingbao-Tongguan and Xi'an-Baoji sections), Zhejiang-Jiangxi Railway (Hangzhou-Pingxiang section) and the Guangdong-Hankou Railway (Zhuzhou-Shaoguan section).[2] The Shanxi warlord Yan Xishan built the narrow gauge Datong-Puzhou Railway across Shanxi Province. The Japanese occupiers, using forced labor, built 5,700 km of railway in Manchuria and Rehe Province and 900 km of railway in China Proper.[2]

In 1941, construction began of the Yunnan Burma Railway, an attempt to link British occupied Burma with Kunming in Yunnan province. Ultimately, however, the project was aborted.

< Message edited by Skyros -- 11/18/2018 3:48:14 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Chinese railroads during the war... - 11/20/2018 2:03:11 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

The actual layout was much more expansive then shown in that map. Of course large segments were destroyed during the late thirties and early forties to thwart Japanese expansion. The best map I have seen is the maps in the board game War of Resistance. They even include railroads that were proposed before the war and built afterwards and it is up to you as the player to apply your meager resources to repair or expand different railroads.

Here is the WWII era description from the article.

During the Second Sino-Japanese War of 1937-1945, the Republican government dismantled a number of railways to slow the Japanese advance and added 1,900 km of railways, mostly in the interior of China after coastal regions were occupied.[2] Among the completed lines were the Longhai Railway (Lingbao-Tongguan and Xi'an-Baoji sections), Zhejiang-Jiangxi Railway (Hangzhou-Pingxiang section) and the Guangdong-Hankou Railway (Zhuzhou-Shaoguan section).[2] The Shanxi warlord Yan Xishan built the narrow gauge Datong-Puzhou Railway across Shanxi Province. The Japanese occupiers, using forced labor, built 5,700 km of railway in Manchuria and Rehe Province and 900 km of railway in China Proper.[2]

In 1941, construction began of the Yunnan Burma Railway, an attempt to link British occupied Burma with Kunming in Yunnan province. Ultimately, however, the project was aborted.

Thank you Skyros...I am kind of surprised(?) so many players choose to avoid the China theater entirely, especially since the war started there, wish several nations having a presence there, including France,Italy, Russia,The United States and Germany.
While some of them were only there as observers, or trainers, many of their weapons were certainly in use by BOTH sides of that theater.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 11/20/2018 2:06:41 PM >

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Chinese railroads during the war... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI