Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Who still plays Combat Mission

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Who still plays Combat Mission Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 2:16:28 PM   
Red2112

As the title says, how many of you still play Combat Mission? What modules and why? What game engine is the best for you?

Thanks!

Red

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, EVGA GTX 1070ti 8GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB SSDīs, LG 29' Ultrawide 21:9 monitor Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.
Post #: 1
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 2:49:12 PM   
altipueri

I do.

The first ones. Combat Mission Beyond Overlord; Barbarossa to Berlin; and Afrika Corps.

I still prefer them to the newer CMx2.

I like the random scenario generator. A couple of house rules to give the AI a help - mostly due to it making suicidal charges at times.

There was a bit of hassle getting it to work on windows 8.1 and involved a lot of alt-tabbing and opening second windows; but on Windows 10 I've found it works fine which is brilliant for me.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 2
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 3:04:31 PM   
rico21

Tip to accelerate CMx1 games in pc with multi processors.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 3
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 3:28:28 PM   
rommel222

Greetings Red2112,
I fully agree with altipueri for CMx1 titles but use Win 10 w/o problems. But I do have all CMx2 WW2 titles w/patch 4 versions.
The tactical experience is very good but large scenarios are a real chore. Quick battles are good though for .
Waiting on patch updates to fix dug in infantry bugging out during incoming artillery fire and a true shoot & scoot function.

Also play Combat Mission Afghanistan for the historical period. CMSF2 looks promising but would prefer they go to WW2 Pacific island battles, including amphibious assault landings.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 4
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 3:41:40 PM   
pzgndr

I admit to having an addiction to CMBO, Quick Battle, armor vs armor meeting engagement. Short and sweet, always different. My challenge is to play at +3, either Axis or Allies, and aim for a perfect 100 score. I've managed to do that a handful of times, but then again occasionally I still get my butt handed to me...

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 5
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 4:16:18 PM   
TheGreatRadish

quote:

ORIGINAL: rommel222

Greetings Red2112,
I fully agree with altipueri for CMx1 titles but use Win 10 w/o problems. But I do have all CMx2 WW2 titles w/patch 4 versions.
The tactical experience is very good but large scenarios are a real chore. Quick battles are good though for .
Waiting on patch updates to fix dug in infantry bugging out during incoming artillery fire and a true shoot & scoot function.

Also play Combat Mission Afghanistan for the historical period. CMSF2 looks promising but would prefer they go to WW2 Pacific island battles, including amphibious assault landings.

Best fix I found was this one, associated discussion here. It runs a treat and doesn't require any alt-tabbing or priority allocations, even fog works

I must say that CMx1 is still so much fun to play, I like CMx2 but the micro is too much sometimes, they really need to develop the engine so that you can give broad commands to HQs who will cascade orders to subordinates, a la command ops - with the option to micro as deep as you like if that floats your boat.

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 6
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 4:26:22 PM   
Red2112

Nice to see all you play CM

Donīt know about CMx1 as I havent bought any yet (reason why I ask too).

I have CMBS and CMBN (CMBS is v4). Although CM is not perfect, itīs still full of strategy, specially with BS, SF and Afghanistan (modern era). With WWII aim and distance is a bit hit or miss, but with modern gear itīs hard to escape the wall of fire that can hit you! The downside to modern era is the map size (to small), as a M1A1 SEP has effective range of 3.500mt so you really donīt benefit all the tactical advantages of modern gear. Javalins and TOWS get the most fun.

I just bought a second hand copy of CMSF (some say CMx2 is better), but I think I screwed it up on buying it due to the security DAP check ect. Battlefront used with the CMx2 series. Lucky enough I didnīt pay much for it. Will see when it gets here. If not, will ahve to go with CMSF2 when itīs out as I love the "afrika korps" look (Syrian/desert) and alot of the NATO units included in the DLC.

Red

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, EVGA GTX 1070ti 8GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB SSDīs, LG 29' Ultrawide 21:9 monitor Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 7
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 5:03:10 PM   
demyansk

How did you guys install Cmbb? Did you use an iso

< Message edited by demyansk -- 11/12/2018 5:07:02 PM >

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 8
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 5:48:32 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

I do.

The first ones. Combat Mission Beyond Overlord; Barbarossa to Berlin; and Afrika Corps.

Same here.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 9
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 6:43:29 PM   
wodin

I do.

I do wish they'd have concentrated on theatre at a time instead of jumping around.

I also think it's time for a new engine. Currently if they stick to this engine and carry each set of games to completion it will prob take a decade or more at current release rate!

Thing is apart from the excellent Graviteam Tactics there isn't any other decent tactical wargames to take its place.

< Message edited by wodin -- 11/12/2018 6:44:55 PM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 10
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 7:33:54 PM   
altipueri

My CMBB installed straight off the CD/DVD.

That worked on both Windows 8.1 and 10. NB my Windows 10 is on low powered laptops with Intel HD graphics. Fancy graphics cards may not work. Over the years I've had Combat Mission on XP, 7, 8.1, and 10. I've never had Vista.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 11
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 11:02:20 PM   
demyansk

Ok, I'll have to try again

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 12
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/12/2018 11:52:58 PM   
Rosseau

The series is easily in my top 10 of hundreds of wargames. In fact, just playing one or two last night. Great scenario editor, probably two hundred custom scenarios and mods for CMBN alone. This more than makes up for anyone complaining about the pricing or upgrading policies. It can be a bit heavy on the micromanagement though.

Of course I am talking about CMBN and dlc's, CMFI and dlc, CMRT, CMBS, CMFB and the upcoming CMSF2, which they are only charging me $35 to upgrade base game and all dlc's to Engine 4, as Engine 1 doesn't work on my newer computer.

I am on Engine 3 for all the games (Engine 2 for CMBN), and do not plan on upgrading further. However, those playing the 20-year-old CM1 games are missing a lot, including tons of mods, although they are saving money I guess.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 13
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/13/2018 4:37:20 PM   
TheGreatRadish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau
those playing the 20-year-old CM1 games are missing a lot, including tons of mods, although they are saving money I guess.

I don't agree, I have CMBN, CMFI amd CMRT with all their modules and fully upgraded to 4.0 and I much prefer CMx1 still. It's been much discussed, there are plenty who feel the same and it's got nothing whatsoever to do with money. Like I said, I like CMx2 but it's different and, for me, simply not as enjoyable as the originals.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 14
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/13/2018 5:04:35 PM   
MrsWargamer

My only complaint isn't with the game, it's with the company.

But I'd likely play CM early designs, if I had an urge for 3d wego.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to TheGreatRadish)
Post #: 15
RE: Who still plays Combat Mission - 11/14/2018 2:24:49 AM   
Rosseau

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGreatRadish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau
those playing the 20-year-old CM1 games are missing a lot, including tons of mods, although they are saving money I guess.

I don't agree, I have CMBN, CMFI amd CMRT with all their modules and fully upgraded to 4.0 and I much prefer CMx1 still. It's been much discussed, there are plenty who feel the same and it's got nothing whatsoever to do with money. Like I said, I like CMx2 but it's different and, for me, simply not as enjoyable as the originals.

That's interesting about CM1. I just assumed the new games were "better." Problem is it's been so long I can't remember the details. Maybe less micro or the UI? I just played it so much, I had to uninstall at some point to play the other games I wasted my money on

(in reply to TheGreatRadish)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Who still plays Combat Mission Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI