Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Confused about aborted naval unit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Confused about aborted naval unit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Confused about aborted naval unit - 11/7/2018 6:44:21 PM   
loki100

Ok, now realise should never have put the French fleet here but I have an aborted French unit (the cruiser outside the naval boxes) and need to destroy it as it has no valid path back to a port.

But no idea how to do this? Can't return to the combat screen, game won't progress without moving this unit etc:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: Confused about aborted naval unit - 11/7/2018 7:55:03 PM   
michaelbaldur

you have to fight though the other sea area (west med.) to get to ports in france.

or maybe you can reach Syria without going though a sea area with enemy naval units

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2
RE: Confused about aborted naval unit - 11/7/2018 11:46:46 PM   
paulderynck

If moving a naval unit into a sea zone where enemy units can intercept you need to use CTRL-left-click to go there. If the interception roll misses then you should be able to click the port you want to go to.

If a selected unit can reach a port then pressing F11 should show which ones it can reach. If it cannot, then with the unit selected, press Backspace to destroy it.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 11/7/2018 11:49:11 PM >

Paul

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 3
RE: Confused about aborted naval unit - 11/8/2018 9:16:44 AM   
juntoalmar

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

If moving a naval unit into a sea zone where enemy units can intercept you need to use CTRL-left-click to go there. If the interception roll misses then you should be able to click the port you want to go to.

If a selected unit can reach a port then pressing F11 should show which ones it can reach. If it cannot, then with the unit selected, press Backspace to destroy it.

I knew (most of) these options. But, in defence of the user and from the UX point of view, they are not discoverable. It would be nice for the non-expert user to discover how to do such pretty simple actions through the design itself.

PD: Working in the field of Human Computer Interaction and loving wargames, I have always wondered if there would be a possibility of combining both passions professionally. Although I'm afraid wargames developing teams are too small to integrate to add anything to the development process.

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 4
RE: Confused about aborted naval unit - 11/8/2018 3:54:36 PM   
paulderynck

F11 appears not to be documented, I guess a small oversight considering everything that's built into the game. It has been mentioned in the forums here several times.

CTRL-left-click and backspace functionality are described under the main menu - Help/Keyboard commands/ which encompasses almost everything available except F11, AFAIK.

In any event there was no intent to attack the user, but rather to provide assistance.

Paul

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 5
RE: Confused about aborted naval unit - 11/8/2018 4:44:51 PM   
loki100

quote:

F11 appears not to be documented, I guess a small oversight considering everything that's built into the game. It has been mentioned in the forums here several times.

CTRL-left-click and backspace functionality are described under the main menu - Help/Keyboard commands/ which encompasses almost everything available except F11, AFAIK.

In any event there was no intent to attack the user, but rather to provide assistance.

thanks to all above, the willingness to deal with pretty basic questions is much appreciated. I realise the left-click issue is in the videos but I have watched them all twice and dip into them as I play.

Its not a criticism (in the sense that its clear how MWIF is set up) but there are a few bits where replicating the board game onto a computer can sometimes make relatively simple tasks a real struggle in the early stages.

many thanks

Post #: 6
RE: Confused about aborted naval unit - 11/8/2018 5:22:53 PM   
juntoalmar

quote:

I mean they are not discoverable, you can't discover it from the game screen unless you go to the manual, menus or forums.

quote:

Absolutely. I meant that the best design supports the user against errors. Thanks for your help and support in the forums!

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

Post #: 7
RE: Confused about aborted naval unit - 11/11/2018 12:52:53 AM   
pzgndr

quote:

FWIW, I took a few minutes to capture screenshots of the Help/Keyboard and Mouse Commands and saved them to a PDF as a players aid. I'm surprised these aren't already available to print out? Perhaps Steve can include this as a file in the \Manuals folder, or he or someone else could improve upon it as a printable players aid. There's a lot of tricks to remember!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pzgndr -- 11/11/2018 12:57:15 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: Confused about aborted naval unit - 11/11/2018 6:32:25 PM   
paulderynck

deleted

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 11/11/2018 6:33:59 PM >

Paul

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 9
RE: Confused about aborted naval unit - 11/24/2018 8:05:44 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

FWIW, I took a few minutes to capture screenshots of the Help/Keyboard and Mouse Commands and saved them to a PDF as a players aid. I'm surprised these aren't already available to print out? Perhaps Steve can include this as a file in the \Manuals folder, or he or someone else could improve upon it as a printable players aid. There's a lot of tricks to remember!

Section 11.6 of the Players Manual volume 2 describes the mouse and keyboard commands in more detail than the 'forms' that can be called up from within the game. The 'forms' condense a lot of stuff onto a few pages, which require some deciphering on the part of the reader. The text in the Players Manual should be easier to understand.

The 'forms' are generated by software/code so I can modify them whenever necessary. Stuff in the manuals was prepared ~6 months before the game was released, so they could be printed in time for the game's release.

One of the banes of software is that as the software changes, the printed material doesn't. That has been a problem for me for the last 50 years.

F11 was a software development/debugging aid that I polished up somewhat and 'announced' its availability. Originally, only the beta testers had access to it. Note that not all keyboards support F11, so making it part of the game was something I did reluctantly - since some customers wouldn't be able to use it.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 11/24/2018 8:07:06 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Confused about aborted naval unit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI