Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice on navigating the map and giving orders?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/6/2018 8:26:03 AM   
Mousie

I'm trying to learn the game, but giving orders and moving around the map just to see is an incredible chore, could someone give me some advice on how to do things more efficiently? It takes me minutes just to scroll from Pearl Harbor to Midway, let alone giving patrol orders, and keeping relativity from the vast amounts of ocean. Any way I can zoom out, or navigate or use the map besides using the arrow keys?

Are there any commands that would help reduce the delay of actions while playing?
Post #: 1
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/6/2018 8:36:09 AM   
RogerJNeilson

I have never had any appreciable delay in moving round the map, but a couple of hints on playing and setting orders.....

1. Establish a move direction round the map and do that every turn. Playing the Allies for much of the game I use Cape Town/ Aden/ India/ Malaya/ DEI, Oz, Pacific and then USA. Early on I did China last. Now I am in the endgame I move from the hotspot of action towards the backwaters. Also get to know what is where and use the jump map to quickly get form one area to another.

2. I do key things every day, other stuff - again the backwaters or the logistics etc I settled a long time ago on spending time every 10, 20 30 of the month. It is seldom important that anything far form the front must be done every day and it does speed up your orders as it cuts down on a lot. Once stuff is ordered unless its going to run into the enemy it can just be left to do as it is told.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Currently in 1945 of my sole surviving PBEM which has been running since the game came out.

(in reply to Mousie)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/6/2018 8:48:34 AM   
Mousie

A move direction? Who am I moving, everyone? Or just a certain kind of ship? What would I be moving them to do? I'm assuming it's to hunt the Japanese?

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/6/2018 9:03:31 AM   
RogerJNeilson

Sorry not clear enough.

The map is huge and the amount of information is massive. One way of making it easier to understand. process and issue orders is to deal with one area at a time, then move on to another. Most players seem to operate on a circular model so they begin in one area and then move round either clockwise or anticlockwise. I start in the UK area as I'm from there) and move round in a counterclockwise rotation round the map areas.

Latterly as my focus is on Korea and areas round there I start there and work the circle from that point round as per usual.

Once you know the map you can mouse clcik on the strategic jump map in the right corner to quickly move to another area on the main map.

Hope that clarifies.

Roger

Attachment (1)

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Currently in 1945 of my sole surviving PBEM which has been running since the game came out.

(in reply to Mousie)
Post #: 4
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/6/2018 9:50:20 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mousie
It takes me minutes just to scroll from Pearl Harbor to Midway, let alone giving patrol orders, and keeping relativity from the vast amounts of ocean. Any way I can zoom out, or navigate or use the map besides using the arrow keys?

Looks like similar issue: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4540800
Play with command line parameters and see if it helps

(in reply to Mousie)
Post #: 5
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/6/2018 11:08:26 AM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mousie

I'm trying to learn the game, but giving orders and moving around the map just to see is an incredible chore, could someone give me some advice on how to do things more efficiently? It takes me minutes just to scroll from Pearl Harbor to Midway, let alone giving patrol orders, and keeping relativity from the vast amounts of ocean. Any way I can zoom out, or navigate or use the map besides using the arrow keys?

Are there any commands that would help reduce the delay of actions while playing?

Use -dd_sw switch to eliminate scrolling lag.

(in reply to Mousie)
Post #: 6
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/6/2018 11:46:32 AM   
HansBolter

I start in Pearl where the turn starts me. I jump from Peral to the East Coast then to Panama.

From Panama up the west coast through the Aluetions.
From there I go down to teh Line Islands and work my way to Pago Pago and across South Pac to Australia.

Up the east coast of Auastralia to New Guinea.
From there to Perth and then up the west coast of Oz to Timor. From Timor up through teh PI.
From teh PI back to the DEI. From teh DEI to Capetown.
Capetwon to Aden and Abadan.
Abadan down the west coast of India to Colombo. Colombo up the east coast down through Burma through Malaya.
Malaya to China.

Obvioulsy this circuit adapts as the camapaign advances.

You just need to establish a route to move through everything that you are comfortable with.

Hans

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 7
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/7/2018 2:24:37 AM   
dasboot1960

Hi Mousie! If you are referring to a 'creeping' scroll speed, check out the .pdf named 'Whats New' in the game folder. It has a list of command line switches that you can add to the 'target' box of the shortcut that you use to start the game. They will do no good in the shortcut that takes you to the 'overall' menu that you can start the game, or updates or whatever else from. It must be the short cut that takes you directly to the in-game main menu where you select preferences etc.

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 8
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/7/2018 2:25:03 AM   
dasboot1960

Hi Mousie! If you are referring to a 'creeping' scroll speed, check out the .pdf named 'Whats New' in the game folder. It has a list of command line switches that you can add to the 'target' box of the shortcut that you use to start the game. They will do no good in the shortcut that takes you to the 'overall' menu that you can start the game, or updates or whatever else from. It must be the short cut that takes you directly to the in-game main menu where you select preferences etc.

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 9
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/7/2018 5:47:20 AM   
L0ckAndL0ad

If you refer to slow camera movement, open the preferences menu (P) and set the Map Scroll Delay to 0.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dasboot1960)
Post #: 10
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/7/2018 5:59:32 AM   
L0ckAndL0ad

You can also left click on the mini map in the lower right corner of the screen to jump around.

Use [Ctrl+A] to open the Large Strategic Map (or use the globe button on the upper panel).

Also, there are various hotkeys to help you switch between the units and locations.

Use [?] key to switch between the main national bases (Karachi, Pearl Harbor, San Fran, Brisbane).

[,] and [.] or [<] and [>] to switch between task forces and [-] and [+] between the bases. (I almost never use these)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by L0ckAndL0ad -- 11/7/2018 6:01:24 AM >

(in reply to L0ckAndL0ad)
Post #: 11
RE: Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? - 11/7/2018 7:06:08 PM   
dasboot1960

hmm.. I seem to double post a lot. Well Mousie I see you are getting advice to set your scroll speed, etc. If you've done that and are still extremely slow on scroll, it is the switches. I run windows10, and a wide(er) screen (wish I had WIDER). There's another thread going about alt-tab ing in and out of the game and it coming back with graphics all funked up. The switches also solved that for me. I just had to experiment to find the ones that worked for me.

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to L0ckAndL0ad)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Advice on navigating the map and giving orders? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI