Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to create a new Unit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> How to create a new Unit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 12:51:04 PM   
oldMarinePanzer

I remember there used to be a tutorial on this site explaining how to create a new unit, a new German unit. It was pretty good, but now that I have learned more since then that tutorial should have explained how to design the factory used to create it and maybe explained all the parameters that must be set to produce it with the production system. Is there one out there? Maybe someone can explain how to create a new unit, maybe the Panther F tank for example, how to set up the factory and allocate resources and set build to maybe 1 or 2 tanks per month etc...

Post #: 1
RE: How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 1:30:42 PM   
SparkleyTits

Axis cannot make units only the Soviets have that luxury!

Axis can make forts but nothing else
Soviets can create units by selecting certain urban hexes and creating said units, airframes, HQ's etc

Factories are hard coded and will start/stop at certain dates aslong as the factories are not lost by enemies taking them so that all happens automatically

< Message edited by SparkleyTits -- 11/5/2018 1:31:31 PM >

(in reply to oldMarinePanzer)
Post #: 2
RE: How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 1:42:51 PM   
SparkleyTits

It just occured to me that this is in the modding section and that maybe we can mod in units and factories and that is the information you were hoping for?

If that is the case ignore everything I just said as I have no idea about modding

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 3
RE: How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 2:18:13 PM   
Red Lancer

Whilst the Axis cannot build units in game you can do what you like in the editor including creating new vehicles, factories, OOB and units. The one bit I think is still hard coded is the production modifiers.

Look here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2639590&mpage=1&key=Maus

Factories are created in the Locations/City tab.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 4
RE: How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 2:44:40 PM   
oldMarinePanzer

Thank you Red Lancer that is the tutorial to which I was referring. The part left off of that tutorial is the factory part. Maybe I know more about this task than I assumed. Is it as simple as: go to a location, choose a city that already might produce tanks (so it has the available resources), create a line entry (and add the Maus) and link to this ground element and set the factory to produce 1 or more on each turn.

The manuals explain some of this but it also says in the manual that it is extremely complicated and edit/update/change at you own risk and go ahead and try to figure it out and "Have Fun! doing it".

Just looking for others opinions/advice, those that have been playing longer than I, or maybe the games developers would chime in...

(in reply to Red Lancer)
Post #: 5
RE: How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 3:06:33 PM   
Red Lancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldMarinePanzer

Thank you Red Lancer that is the tutorial to which I was referring. The part left off of that tutorial is the factory part. Maybe I know more about this task than I assumed. Is it as simple as: go to a location, choose a city that already might produce tanks (so it has the available resources), create a line entry (and add the Maus) and link to this ground element and set the factory to produce 1 or more on each turn.

Just looking for others opinions/advice, those that have been playing longer than I, or maybe the games developers would chime in...

You've got it - the difficult bit is deciding how many you want. Equipment that arrives already in a unit is free - so be careful not to set production too high. I created a scenario that completely rewrote German tank production for the war. Unfortunately it is no longer compatible with the latest builds.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 6
RE: How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 3:31:27 PM   
oldMarinePanzer

Thanks for your feedback and I see by your signature that you are an Assistant Producer and a GGWitE & GGWitW developer. Is there any more than that (that I stated above)? I read the manuals that all explain this and my remaining question: are there production/supply/admin "points" that get expended during the logistics phase when the factories produce via these factory settings?

(in reply to Red Lancer)
Post #: 7
RE: How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 6:44:37 PM   
Red Lancer

You won't expend any admin points but production will consume Supplies.

Look here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3313585

Hats off and respect to you for entering the world of editing and modding. If you need any further help PM me or post.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 8
RE: How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 7:00:02 PM   
oldMarinePanzer

This image is fantastic, but I can't figure out how to increase supplies? Maybe increase fuel (synthetic) too?

(in reply to Red Lancer)
Post #: 9
RE: How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 7:30:51 PM   
Red Lancer

This is where it gets fun....

- if what you are adding is not huge in production terms then you can ignore it.
- if you feel you need to add a few more supplies then just put them in the starting pool(I think you need to search for supply in the Ground Elements tab and then click on the pool numbers but can't check as I don't have WitE active on my system at the moment)
- if it is a big change you have made then add additional resource production that will filter through to supplies although this varies by year due to the modifiers.

Synthetic Fuel is expensive (as it was I history). For WitW I created the 4th Supreme Command scenario to explore this conundrum.

You are opening the door to a world of huge possibilities...enjoy.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 10
RE: How to create a new Unit - 11/5/2018 8:20:56 PM   
oldMarinePanzer

Thanks Red Lancer, I'm not sure I got everything right but I will try to implement and then learn from my mistakes. I sent you an email via this forum, did you read that?

(in reply to Red Lancer)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> How to create a new Unit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI