Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

aircraft range

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> aircraft range Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
aircraft range - 10/29/2018 5:41:07 PM   
dontra85

has anyone had an issue with adjusting the range of thier aircraft and then having the aircraft not fly missions?
Post #: 1
RE: aircraft range - 10/29/2018 6:28:59 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontra85

has anyone had an issue with adjusting the range of thier aircraft and then having the aircraft not fly missions?

quite a lot - main issue seems to be the main number is a count of miles not hexes. So if you put anything less than 40 no aircraft will fly. 40 might get the aircraft to fly one hex away. But you need very high numbers to get them to fly any distance.

(in reply to dontra85)
Post #: 2
RE: aircraft range - 11/29/2018 6:03:45 PM   
Armatrading

Ah that explains it then!

Thanks for this!

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 3
RE: aircraft range - 11/29/2018 8:31:48 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

There is some ambiguity around the exact number but base 40 should give you what you need but at some point you could overshoot a hex without knowing the exact number ;-)

How I do it is look at the numbers used as default on airplane counters as a rule of thumb. You will see one large number then the range. You can do simple math by division on these number to come up with the range of the aircraft for input. After division that number is normally 30.X to 31.X for the majority of the aircraft on both sides with little deviation. I will then round up or down depending on the decimal point. Then I ADD 1 to that number to be on the safe side. NOW, this is an important part the hex the airfield is in is the 1st hex. But that is how I did it when it first came out. Used it for a bit but haven't used it much since turn 2 in both of my current games. I haven't tested it since or played with it since both of my games turns are too long already without adding even more time to the turn. But if I were playing Germans I would 100% find the answer. Feel free to play with it. But this is just me using my fuzzy logic which could be totally wrong in my endevour.

So in this example this BF-109F-2 is 620/20 = 31

I then add +1 to the 31 to have 32 as the number to use.

Attachment (1)

Space we can recover; time never

Napoleon

(in reply to Armatrading)
Post #: 4
RE: aircraft range - 12/20/2018 1:22:43 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

So in this example this BF-109F-2 is 620/20 = 31

I then add +1 to the 31 to have 32 as the number to use.

I've suddenly realise I do not full understand the two numbers 620 (20), I thought 620 was the range in miles, 20 the range in hexes. So why are you doing the maths here?

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 5
RE: aircraft range - 12/20/2018 1:32:11 PM   
Beria

There is a pace in the manual where they describe multipliers for the air range depend on the type of mission they are performing. For example in combat they would fly three times as many miles (30) per hex rather than the 10 as the crow flies. This reflects the fact that planes in combat do not fly in straight lines.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> aircraft range Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI