Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GD1938 - Turn resolution

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> GD1938 - Turn resolution Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GD1938 - Turn resolution - 10/27/2018 2:35:53 PM   
nukkxx5058

Hi, I never really played ATG before but recently someone recommended it to me together with the GD1938 mod. So I decided to reinstall the game and the mod. I just tried to start a GD38 game as Germans and pressed end turn without any orders (just to see) but it seems that the turn resolution takes forever ... I'm even not sure it doesn't stop responding at some time as nothing seems to happen for quite long time.
Is it normal ? How long should I wait ?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: GD1938 - Turn resolution - 10/27/2018 2:51:27 PM   
Twotribes

GD1938 really is not set up to play against the computer I don't believe.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: GD1938 - Turn resolution - 10/27/2018 3:55:17 PM   
cpdeyoung

I decided to try to replicate the situation. I allowed Germany to be played by "Human" (did you? I assume so.). I then clicked on the turn shift to Italy (AI) and the AI did a turn (no idea what it was up to) and moved on to Japan. It was about as fast as I expected and is now on Japan AI "thinking and moving". ... Japan finished.

Chuck

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 3
RE: GD1938 - Turn resolution - 10/27/2018 4:17:21 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

I decided to try to replicate the situation. I allowed Germany to be played by "Human" (did you? I assume so.). I then clicked on the turn shift to Italy (AI) and the AI did a turn (no idea what it was up to) and moved on to Japan. It was about as fast as I expected and is now on Japan AI "thinking and moving". ... Japan finished.

Chuck

Hi, yes, all countries are AI but German which is "human".
Then I load the game, press end turn and can see "soviet union thinking (or so) then "Japan thinking" but I never see the end ... at least not after 5/10 good minutes.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 4
RE: GD1938 - Turn resolution - 10/27/2018 4:22:22 PM   
nukkxx5058

Oh, and also, they mention a "slider" in the text on screen but can't see any slider.
Also there are couple of buttons. One says "next battle" and the other "next power". But nothing noticeable happens when I click.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 5
RE: GD1938 - Turn resolution - 10/27/2018 5:08:49 PM   
cpdeyoung

The code used to show AI activity is very close to the "History" code, which you access with the open white book icon. While the AI phases there are not the controls which you are missing. They would be active in "History" mode.

As Twotribes said GD1938 does not work well with the AI, but I have tried it with GR-IT-JP versus AI opponents and I think it worked. I may be thinking of GD1938v2 where I know it worked, but the AI experience is not fun.

The game shines with human players, and you should be able to find two new players to experiment with. Quibbles went in the deep end, playing a game with ArmouredLion and I and we are very impressed with his progress. My preference is always for the "true" three player version as designed. I am pretty sure if you post in Opponents Wanted for two other newbie players you could put a game together.

Chuck

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 6
RE: GD1938 - Turn resolution - 10/27/2018 6:47:36 PM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks for these explanations Chuck :-) And yes, it's ArmouredLion who recently mentioned the game to me :-)

OK so I just gave it a try with all countries set as humans and it runs smoothly, so no issue as I'm mostly interested in PBEM.

The game looks real great and I can't wait to give it a try in PBEM. However I will need so time to familiarize myself a bit with the ATG mechanics. I played some DC-Barbarossa in the recent past so I should quickly remember how to play, at least the main mechanics :-)

As I already said it really looks great. I suppose that if played with 3 players, one will play Axis (GER+IT+JP) one will play allies (FR+UK+US) and one will play SU or China ? What about SU alignment ? Will it be historical or could there be betrayals ?
I guess there must be an optimal combination so that each player has an interesting game to play... (wouldn't like to play just France for instance, must be boring ...)

Also, if I watched correctly, it's monthly turns. So 12 months*6 years=72 turns, which is not too much (as compared to other games with 200+ turns)

So I'm definitely interested and thanks to ArmouredLion for "selling" me the mod :-)

Will also need to know if some additional mods (like e.g. map mods etc) are recommended ?

Anyway, all this looks real good !

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 7
RE: GD1938 - Turn resolution - 10/27/2018 7:41:00 PM   
cpdeyoung

You really want to get the manual as Claus did a wonderful job with it. -------> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4517118

There are 13 turns per year.

The Allies are FR-GB-US-CH.

The Axis are GR-IT-JP.

The USSR plays alone.

The game is designed for each of the three coalitions to fulfill their own victory conditions.

No extra mods are needed.

The manual will get you on the right path.

Chuck

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 8
RE: GD1938 - Turn resolution - 10/27/2018 9:34:55 PM   
nukkxx5058

Sounds good ! Thanks !

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> GD1938 - Turn resolution Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI