Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/10/2018 5:50:30 PM   
asl3d

quote:

ORIGINAL: GiveWarAchance

I finished the Barrikady Factory battle with dismal results (fairly typical of the historical factory assaults).
I made an AAR here... http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4566675

I needed another 10 turns at least to progress, but I'm just getting used to the combat after a long time since I played so wasn't doing a good job.

Hello GiveWarAchance,

Regarding the scenario, and reviewing the last panel of the scenario (I copy it below) as well as the Scenario Victory Conditions, the Germans play at attack (as it almost always happened) despite the clear numerical inferiority (81 vs 108 units) and its force ratio (attack/defense ratio between the sum of cost points of each unit) is 80% (4:5). Finally, the German commander only has 8 turns to win, so he has to act with great energy and aggressiveness.

In your brilliant narration in After Action Reports I give you more details and suggestions about it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 12/10/2018 5:51:05 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to GiveWarAchance)
Post #: 31
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/10/2018 6:15:53 PM   
GiveWarAchance

That's amazing to attack with less troops into such a defensible area. I think this scenario is incredibly difficult but you are making it historical so it is par for the course. But even losing at this battle is still interesting and fun to play out. It was a very intense and fairly long battle for me in real time but I did it all at once because it is so immersive. Is your time limit based on the timing of the Soviet counterattack which inevitably ends the German attack? So basically 3 turns of enemy counterattack to gell the front line?

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 32
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/10/2018 7:43:16 PM   
asl3d

quote:

That's amazing to attack with less troops into such a defensible area. I think this scenario is incredibly difficult but you are making it historical so it is par for the course. But even losing at this battle is still interesting and fun to play out. It was a very intense and fairly long battle for me in real time but I did it all at once because it is so immersive. Is your time limit based on the timing of the Soviet counterattack which inevitably ends the German attack? So basically 3 turns of enemy counterattack to gell the front line?

I have checked the scenario again and the Soviet units have freedom of action. That is, the counterattack of any Soviet unit (not only of the Guards Division) can occur at any time or not even occur. It is a decision of Artificial Intelligence.
Normally Artificial Intelligence acts prudently, even when they have orders of Berserk conduct, and as the scenario advances in time the AI becomes more active and the risk of counterattack increases. Therefore, there is no scheduled change here.
The number of turns in a scenario I determined it according to the expected difficulty for the scenario. The less time there is to achieve the objectives, the more difficult the scenario is.

Semper fidelis

Post #: 33
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/11/2018 2:31:33 AM   
GiveWarAchance

In my game, near the end I noticed the factories filled up with fresh squads so those must of have been the counterattack troops coming up to the front line. There were definitely more Russian troops defending at the end of the time than earlier when I thought I had a very small hope of culling the defenders enough that I could push troops into the factories. It's interesting that the scenario is not exactly scripted and a replay could be fairly different depending on enemy activity.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 34
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/11/2018 7:58:29 PM   
asl3d

quote:

In my game, near the end I noticed the factories filled up with fresh squads so those must of have been the counterattack troops coming up to the front line. There were definitely more Russian troops defending at the end of the time than earlier when I thought I had a very small hope of culling the defenders enough that I could push troops into the factories. It's interesting that the scenario is not exactly scripted and a replay could be fairly different depending on enemy activity.

Hello GiveWarAchance,

Yes, in this scenario the AI has freedom of action.
The strategy is to conquer the Victory Hexes as soon as possible to get on the defensive if an enemy counterattack occurs.

This is easier to say than to do, I know, but that is the right thing to do ...

Semper fidelis

Post #: 35
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/12/2018 7:00:17 PM   
asl3d

Barrikady Graniti Sneak peek 4

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 36
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/14/2018 5:20:02 PM   
asl3d

Barrikady Ludnikov Sneak peek 1

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 37
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/16/2018 4:58:09 PM   
asl3d

Barrikady Ludnikov Sneak peek 1

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 38
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/17/2018 4:37:37 AM   
GiveWarAchance

Looks like you sent the hapless HS across the river first to draw fire to allow the follow up units to cross the river supported by fire from a MG34. Your troops managed to dodge the mortar barrage so they don't get pinned in the creek itself in full view of the factory.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 39
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/17/2018 7:06:25 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Looks like you sent the hapless HS across the river first to draw fire to allow the follow up units to cross the river supported by fire from a MG34. Your troops managed to dodge the mortar barrage so they don't get pinned in the creek itself in full view of the factory.

Right, soldier !!!

Semper fidelis

Post #: 40
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/18/2018 6:14:17 PM   
asl3d

Barrikady Ludnikov Sneak peek 2

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 41
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/19/2018 1:51:43 AM   
GiveWarAchance

How did you get that MG34 in between the Russian units? Did they hike across the open lot when the Russians were busy firing at other squads? Or maybe they came from the south?

< Message edited by GiveWarAchance -- 12/19/2018 1:52:43 AM >

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 42
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/19/2018 6:00:32 PM   
asl3d

quote:

How did you get that MG34 in between the Russian units? Did they hike across the open lot when the Russians were busy firing at other squads? Or maybe they came from the south?

MG34 in between the Russian units ?:

Barrikady Ludnikov is a scenario that has not yet been published.
This scenario recommends that the human player take the Russian side. The Soviets play at Attack and the Germans play at Berserk. That is, attacks by both parties. Crazy.
The Russians are practically encircle on the western margin of the Volga river, almost without terrain to maneuver. The attack of the Russians is practically desperate.
The image belongs to the left flank of the Russian attack. They are units of elite Guards and they attack the buildings in hands of the Germans who, here, have nothing better to do than defend themselves.
The MG34 belonged to a agrupament of German units that have been killed in an extremely aggressive Close Combat by the Guards. Now, the MG34 is owned by the Russians.

< Message edited by asl3d -- 12/19/2018 6:02:17 PM >

Semper fidelis

Post #: 43
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/20/2018 2:45:05 AM   
GiveWarAchance

A wild meatgrinder fight from the Russian side. That will be very different.
The units on both sides seem all mixed up amongst those cozy buildings as if they are celebrating Christmas together.
That captured MG34 must give you a lot of umph in your attack. It is like a Christmas present from the Germans.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 44
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/20/2018 6:00:05 PM   
asl3d

quote:

A wild meatgrinder fight from the Russian side. That will be very different.
The units on both sides seem all mixed up amongst those cozy buildings as if they are celebrating Christmas together.
That captured MG34 must give you a lot of umph in your attack. It is like a Christmas present from the Germans.

It seems a gift but of low quality.
This scenario has 6 boards and those buildings are on the left flank of the Soviet front. The main German assault group is on the Russian right flank, 30 hexes away, more or less. That HMG can not help its compatriots who must bear the main effort of the German attack.

Semper fidelis

Post #: 45
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/20/2018 6:35:22 PM   
GiveWarAchance

That sounds like a nice battle. So the right flank will most probably be overrun despite a heroic resistance. It's nice to see the Germans finally have some success. I usually play the German side in wargames so it feels unusual when I am commanding the Russian side.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 46
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/20/2018 6:44:30 PM   
asl3d

quote:

That sounds like a nice battle. So the right flank will most probably be overrun despite a heroic resistance. It's nice to see the Germans finally have some success. I usually play the German side in wargames so it feels unusual when I am commanding the Russian side.

Yes, it is a heroic scenario, both for Russians and Germans.
Here it is recommended to play with the Russians because the scenario has been balanced towards the German side.
The Germans attack with their battalions of engineers and the Russians defend the western bank of the Volga with very worn (but not unusable) units.
I think you'll like to play it. I had a lot of fun during the testing phase.

Semper fidelis

Post #: 47
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/20/2018 6:51:16 PM   
GiveWarAchance

Ya it will be good to see what it feels like from the Russian point of view. From books I read often about how ragged & worn out the Russian infantry divisions were especially the 64th division I saw often. I read that Chuikov was the main reason that tattered force was able to hold out. I read his book about stalingrad.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 48
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/20/2018 7:39:10 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Ya it will be good to see what it feels like from the Russian point of view. From books I read often about how ragged & worn out the Russian infantry divisions were especially the 64th division I saw often. I read that Chuikov was the main reason that tattered force was able to hold out. I read his book about stalingrad.

I have read Antony Baebor's book. Is impressive. But now there is a lot of literature on the Internet. I have been inspired by several documents published on the Internet, very complete and made by very professionals historians (at least, apparently.)

Semper fidelis

Post #: 49
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/21/2018 12:09:44 AM   
GiveWarAchance

I read Anthony Beever's books too except for Battle of the Bulge which is next. I like his books but I don't trust him cause he is very anti-German, but the Chuikov book seems much more accurate even though of course he is pro-Russian and focuses mostly on some dreadful setbacks the Germans suffered. I like unbiased writers like David Glantz and I think Lloyd Clark is unbiased too. I like the book about Operation Mars by David Glantz called Zhukov's Greatest Defeat: The Red Army's Epic Disaster and it happened at the same time as Stalingrad in the bulge created by the push towards Moscow but almost nobody knows about it.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 50
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/21/2018 6:12:27 PM   
asl3d

quote:

I read Anthony Beever's books too except for Battle of the Bulge which is next. I like his books but I don't trust him cause he is very anti-German, but the Chuikov book seems much more accurate even though of course he is pro-Russian and focuses mostly on some dreadful setbacks the Germans suffered. I like unbiased writers like David Glantz and I think Lloyd Clark is unbiased too. I like the book about Operation Mars by David Glantz called Zhukov's Greatest Defeat: The Red Army's Epic Disaster and it happened at the same time as Stalingrad in the bulge created by the push towards Moscow but almost nobody knows about it.

Russian counteroffensive:

To provide some historical content for the introductions to each scenario of Barrikady I have based, among other sources, on the official documents available from the German army and the Soviet army, many of them compiled by Colonel David M. Glantz. In other official documents, I consulted the Army Group B's Intelligence Reports.

Army Group B's Intelligence Reports:

Precisely, this German intelligence service, already warned the high command of potential offensives of the Soviet army, including Operation Mars, which finally took place on November 25, 1942. Naturally, all these threats were not considered dangerous, because they were considered as maneuvers of distraction to avoid the imminent fall of Stalingrad and the sending of reinforcements to the sector seriously threatened by the offensive of November 19, 1942 (Operation Uranus), which was no distraction maneuver, as we all know.

Semper fidelis

Post #: 51
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/21/2018 11:33:52 PM   
GiveWarAchance

I can understand the high command expecting rumors of offensives elsewhere to draw troops away from Stalingrad. It's been a while since I read the Mars book, so do you know if that operation was considered a false alarm too? It was a giant assault when it got going and dangerously pushed in the German line in a couple places. About Uranus, I wonder if there was aerial reconnaissance intel of the Uranus armies' assembly areas? Maybe they were carefully camouflaged.

I like how you research in depth to make your scenarios and information fully historical. Even big game developers don't do that.

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 52
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/22/2018 5:54:34 PM   
asl3d

quote:

I can understand the high command expecting rumors of offensives elsewhere to draw troops away from Stalingrad. It's been a while since I read the Mars book, so do you know if that operation was considered a false alarm too? It was a giant assault when it got going and dangerously pushed in the German line in a couple places. About Uranus, I wonder if there was aerial reconnaissance intel of the Uranus armies' assembly areas? Maybe they were carefully camouflaged.

I like how you research in depth to make your scenarios and information fully historical. Even big game developers don't do that.

Mars:

Honestly I do not know if it was considered evidently as a distraction maneuver, but the truth is that the German army concentrated most of its rearguard reinforcements to cover the gap that was opened with Uranus.

Uranus:

This is safe. Although I did not mention it extensively in the introductions to Barrikady's scenarios, German intelligence knew of a very important concentration of Russian forces in front of its flanks.
My opinion is that although they knew it, they did not have enough reserves. Otherwise, they would have formed an important reaction force in their rearguard, and they did not, and it was because they did not have those reserves.

Semper fidelis

Post #: 53
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/22/2018 8:06:38 PM   
asl3d

Closed for Holidays (only one weeks, don't worry)!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 12/22/2018 8:07:06 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 54
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/22/2018 8:14:05 PM   
GiveWarAchance

Oh nice Christmas sign.
I hope you get a nice new boardgame for Christmas.
Are you going on a battlefield tour on your holiday?

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 55
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/29/2018 5:20:54 PM   
asl3d

quote:

Oh nice Christmas sign.
I hope you get a nice new boardgame for Christmas.
Are you going on a battlefield tour on your holiday?

Thank you very much GiveWarAchance.

No, I have dedicated to eating and drinking toasting for the health of fans of wargames (among others ...)

Semper fidelis

Post #: 56
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 12/30/2018 5:51:09 PM   
asl3d

Barrikady Ludnikov Sneak peek 3

Attachment (1)

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 57
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 1/1/2019 5:39:40 PM   
asl3d

Barrikady Ludnikov Sneak peek 4

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/1/2019 5:40:08 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 58
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 1/4/2019 5:00:34 PM   
asl3d

Barrikady Ludnikov Sneak peek 5

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/4/2019 11:06:22 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 59
RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track - 1/12/2019 8:16:54 PM   
asl3d

Barrikady Ludnikov Sneak peek 6

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by asl3d -- 1/12/2019 8:17:22 PM >

Semper fidelis

(in reply to asl3d)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> RE: Sneak peek to H&L scenarios training track Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI