Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A clarification re: EQP/NQP files?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? - 10/16/2018 9:34:53 AM   
Shadrach

Been wondering this a while, and with the new system for folders I feel it needs a clarification.

Are EQP/NQP files deprecated now, if scenarios are saved in the TOAW4 editor?

Scenarios aren't saved with their associated EQP files so I wonder just how they relate to the individual scenarios.

If they are still needed, I think it would be much better if they are just placed alongside the SCE file instead of placed in a separate directory to the confusion of users.

This would also leave the Graphics Override to be used only for what it's meant for - *Graphics*.

What even are "NQP" files?
Post #: 1
RE: A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? - 10/16/2018 10:13:40 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

Been wondering this a while, and with the new system for folders I feel it needs a clarification.

Scenarios aren't saved with their associated EQP files so I wonder just how they relate to the individual scenarios.

If they are still needed, I think it would be much better if they are just placed alongside the SCE file instead of placed in a separate directory to the confusion of users.

This would also leave the Graphics Override to be used only for what it's meant for - *Graphics*.

The Equipment.nqp file allows designers to edit the naval scale factors of the base naval equipment flag classes. It also allows designers to explicitly specify the naval parameters for individual ship classes.

It's in the What's New 4.0 document.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 2
RE: A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? - 10/16/2018 1:11:31 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

There is a new system necessitated by Steam. You now should store ALL files (EQP, NQP, Graphics, Sound) in the same folder as the scenario files. The workshop will download them all into one directory, so that's the only option I could easily do.

Since this is a patch and not a new release, I couldn't reorganize everything to fit the new organization.

EQP/NQP values are now coded into the scenarios as well as being separate. This was done so that the game wouldn't be broken if the second person in a pbem game didn't have the same eqp/nqp.

Sorry for the confusion, if I'd read the steam documentation before the initial release I would have put everything in the Program Files directory just like the Steam version does.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 3
RE: A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? - 10/16/2018 1:19:47 PM   
Shadrach

Thanks for the reply Ralph, and no worries, I'm mostly just curious.

I'm just wondering what to do with the about 100 folders in the Graphics Override folder.

I moved all the old scenario-folders from the Documents folder into the game folder. These contain mostly eqp and nqp files and some graphics. I assume it's best to just leave them be, but it would be nice to be able to delete the ~270MB too

For instance, there's files:
Scenarios\WW II - West Front\Ardennes 1944 (bmp, doc, pdf, SCE).
There's also
Graphics Override\Ardennes 1944\Ardennes 1944.eqp
Of 2.5MB. What would happen if this was deleted?

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 10/16/2018 1:20:06 PM >

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 4
RE: A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? - 10/16/2018 1:52:02 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

Thanks for the reply Ralph, and no worries, I'm mostly just curious.

I'm just wondering what to do with the about 100 folders in the Graphics Override folder.

I moved all the old scenario-folders from the Documents folder into the game folder. These contain mostly eqp and nqp files and some graphics. I assume it's best to just leave them be, but it would be nice to be able to delete the ~270MB too

For instance, there's files:
Scenarios\WW II - West Front\Ardennes 1944 (bmp, doc, pdf, SCE).
There's also
Graphics Override\Ardennes 1944\Ardennes 1944.eqp
Of 2.5MB. What would happen if this was deleted?

Please give me a couple of days to take care of a couple of issues that came up and I'll install the matrix version along with the update and take a look at what may be off and work up instructions for people that want to minimize the footprint.

In that specific case, it looks like it's set up the way it should be. The eqp file was put there under 4.0 so that it could be easily found under PBEM, although eqp files are also part of the saved scenario file. I now look in the parent folder (in this case WW II - West Front) on the second players system for any graphics files, which was the original reason for the scenario folders in the Graphics and Graphics Override folders.

Under 4.1, the eqp file should just be moved to the Scenarios\WW II - West Front\Ardennes 1944 (bmp, doc, pdf, SCE) folder (along with any graphics) and it would be found.

Hope that helps.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 5
RE: A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? - 10/16/2018 1:56:16 PM   
76mm

Sorry, I'm a bit confused...currently I don't have any plans to install the Steam version...where should I put my graphics and eqp files?

Post #: 6
RE: A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? - 10/16/2018 1:58:37 PM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Sorry, I'm a bit confused...currently I don't have any plans to install the Steam version...where should I put my graphics and eqp files?

My Games\TOAW\Scenarios or Graphics Override, as you have done already.

Only change is that we have started putting patch updates toofficial scenarios under the game's main folders in "Program Files".

In terms of users copying custom scenarios, nothing has changed.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? - 10/16/2018 2:49:02 PM   
ralphtricky

I obviously need to figure out a better way to explain this.

The old way still works just fine, and you are free to continue using that method.

As an alternative, you can also put everything into the same directory as the scenario and that works just fine too. If you do that, then both people in a PBEM game need to have the same base folder (For example WWII - West Front.)

You can put files into either the Program Files/.../(Scenario or Graphics or Graphics Override) folder or the Documents/My Games/... directory.

It's TOO flexible as a result of evolution.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 8
RE: A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? - 10/16/2018 3:45:47 PM   
sPzAbt653

Strategic Command has been using Steam for some time and has never had any of these folder location issues. Everything for SC3 is still in 'Documents/My Games', which was something forced on us for Windows security reasons. Now we have to go back to Program Files ...why ??

I don't care, I don't use Steam and don't see a reason why I would.

Post #: 9
RE: A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? - 1/2/2019 12:08:13 AM   
John T_MatrixForum

-delete

< Message edited by John T_MatrixForum -- 1/4/2019 1:56:33 PM >

/John T

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> A clarification re: EQP/NQP files? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI