Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New Player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Player - 9/30/2018 2:46:06 AM   
Slslookout

Hey everyone, so I have been a long time strategy gamer since I was a kid everyrhing from tabletop miniatures and boardgames to pc strategy games. I have been playing Hearts of Iron 4 again lately and found it too simplistic. I was looking for something I could sink real time into and be more in depth and I discovered this game. I have a few questions before I buy the game though, I don't mind the higher price tag if the game is this big at all, just want to make sure I have a chance at liking it.

So I am wondering what most new players wonder, how in depth is this, specifically ia it not friendly to new players? As a base line, Hearts of Iron 4 is too simple for me (if this references helps).

Also I have been watching various streams and I would def want a graphics mod. I LOVED how it lools in XRTG's stream which I am now watching in its entirety. So, does anyone know what graphics mod that is?

Any other general information that may be helpful would be great. I saw the stickied thread for tutorials so I will go thorough those. Also, if this post is im the wronf area or is covered in a stickied post somewhere, my apologies. Thank you!
Post #: 1
RE: New Player - 9/30/2018 6:45:05 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slslookout

Hey everyone, so I have been a long time strategy gamer since I was a kid everyrhing from tabletop miniatures and boardgames to pc strategy games. I have been playing Hearts of Iron 4 again lately and found it too simplistic. I was looking for something I could sink real time into and be more in depth and I discovered this game. I have a few questions before I buy the game though, I don't mind the higher price tag if the game is this big at all, just want to make sure I have a chance at liking it.

So I am wondering what most new players wonder, how in depth is this, specifically ia it not friendly to new players? As a base line, Hearts of Iron 4 is too simple for me (if this references helps).

Also I have been watching various streams and I would def want a graphics mod. I LOVED how it lools in XRTG's stream which I am now watching in its entirety. So, does anyone know what graphics mod that is?

Any other general information that may be helpful would be great. I saw the stickied thread for tutorials so I will go thorough those. Also, if this post is im the wronf area or is covered in a stickied post somewhere, my apologies. Thank you!

This game is considered the most complex ever released. It will take you years to learn the finer details and even then there will be occasional revelations that keep you learning. The game is strategic in level but you have enough control of unit settings that you can heavily influence the combat results. Simulated 'die rolls" keep the game from being too predictable - there is always tension in any combat, or even in trying to sneak a convoy through enemy waters.
I bought it shortly after it was released and I still play it all the time, and enjoy it immensely.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Slslookout)
Post #: 2
RE: New Player - 9/30/2018 9:18:51 AM   
btd64

Welcome to the forum. This game is the best strategic war game ever made. If you like to control everything from the single ship to large land armies this is for you. I would suggest reading some AAR's. Of course always ask questions. We're here to help....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: New Player - 9/30/2018 10:22:00 AM   
Trugrit

Welcome to the game.

I’ve played it for many years and love it. I loved the time it took me to learn what I know.

As I've said before....
Each individual approaches it differently. The curve is really a long and continuous journey instead of a final destination. I think most players who have played for a long time will agree that they don’t really “know” it as a final learned solution. I think that is why it has strong lasting appeal; you can never get to the end of the road with it. Like chess it has an eternal quality that has the ability to surprise and delight you even after years of play.

It will reward you if you have an interest in the nuts and bolts details of mid 20th century modern industrial warfare. Strategic warfare writen large.

But be advised, WITPAE is a hardcore wargame and it attracts and retains hardcore wargamers. This game is not a point and shoot casual wargame.

You are going to have to do a lot of research. The manual and forum can help
but you are going to have to move a lot of mountains on your own.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Slslookout)
Post #: 4
RE: New Player - 9/30/2018 12:49:38 PM   
kbfchicago

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

This game is considered the most complex ever released. It will take you years to learn the finer details and even then there will be occasional revelations that keep you learning. The game is strategic in level but you have enough control of unit settings that you can heavily influence the combat results. Simulated 'die rolls" keep the game from being too predictable - there is always tension in any combat, or even in trying to sneak a convoy through enemy waters.
I bought it shortly after it was released and I still play it all the time, and enjoy it immensely.

+1 to BB's comments. The AI opponent provides a good "tutorial" game, for some that's all they've played. Nothing however beats a good PBEM game.

It is also worth noting the game incorporates computer logic within your moves as well. So you don't have the option to micro manage to all levels. Like the die rolls BB notes above, that aspect also gives you a new look every turn, every game. Some on the forum have complained a bit about it...I for one find the variances a great mix of realistic and unpredictable.

As to your graphics question, there are lots of mods (another great benefit of the game, a substantial and very active mod community!). I would recommend you start with the basic game and get at least a scenario or two under your belt or better...3-12 months worth of campaign game before jumping into one of them. Also recommend starting with Allies vs IJ as the IJ industry is a whole other "game within the game". You likely saw the Chem Kid map, which is wonderful...unfortunately does not work within all mods but I believe it does work with the basic game.

I own HoI, version 2 I think... not sure, never play it anymore. Play AE!

Kevin

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: New Player - 9/30/2018 4:51:05 PM   
DanSez

quote:

'Hearts of Iron'

(sigh)
Marchie Marchie Stabbie Stabbie....
They ruined that game with the heavy emphasis on graphics and simplified user interface.

Anyway, HoI always had problems with modeling naval warfare. Not so great on air warfare either, but land units, movements and combat was their strength.

Here you get just about the total opposite.

The WiTP-AE 'graphics' are almost like stepping back to the 1940's tech -- battle reports are textually like listing to random radio burst and observations. The fog of war is HEAVY. You don't really know how many of the other side you kill unless you completely wipe out a unit and they surrender or you see it sink in the middle of a sea battle.

The naval model and air models are incredibly complex. You will be tweaking and adjusting air and naval packages by the composition of it's elements insteady of taking a mouse and circling a hex and dragging it somewhere.

The land combat is the least develped part of this game but it is still more detailed in authentic historical values than any HoI game ever produced.

If you take it on and apply yourself, You Will Learn more about the PTO thru this game than a taking any college level course. If you are a micromanager (which is the anti-thesis of where the HoI game is going), then you will love this one.

If you are more into flash, bang, win --- you will be frustrated with:
a. the user interface
b. the lack of pretty eye candy, and
c. the amount of skill and attention to detail it will take to beat even the limited AI.

Come on in and check out the deep deep water. I was a big HoI fan, thru version 3, but never bought, and never will buy number 4. Maybe they will try and go back to their 'roots' for HoI5 -- but given their larger user base with Crusader Kings and Europa Univeralis, I doubt it.

(in reply to Slslookout)
Post #: 6
RE: New Player - 9/30/2018 5:46:30 PM   
Big B

@ the OP,
Your best bet to find map mods to download will be in the Scenario Design and Modding section at the top section of the forum.... here

Just keep going from page to page......

B

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 7
RE: New Player - 10/1/2018 7:36:02 PM   
rustysi

In a month or so it'll probably be on sale for the holidays. Wait a bit and you could save a few bucks. In the meantime read here to get a better idea of the game and whether you'll like it or not. As suggested an AAR or two would be good to read. I highly recommend Mike Solli's AAR for the scenario 1 vanilla game.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New Player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI