Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OK what Mods/Maps do you recommend

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> OK what Mods/Maps do you recommend Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OK what Mods/Maps do you recommend - 9/26/2018 3:37:28 PM   
ETF

Intermediate players wanting to get back into a new game of WITPAE. Have been away for several years. Love realism......which Mod do you recommend. Are they hard to install?

And for intermediate players what map is easiest on the eyes and provides nice detail to help out the newer players?

Thanks Gents!

My Top Matrix Games 1)CMO MP?? 2)Waterloo 3)War In the Pacific/AE 4)End All Wars

Twitter -Tactical Wargamer
@TacticWargamer
Post #: 1
RE: OK what Mods/Maps do you recommend - 9/26/2018 4:15:07 PM   
m10bob

All of the mods have their own points, and since the game is a "grognard magnet", I'm pretty sure they all include things we found after loads of historical research.
I'm prejudiced as I have been playing the CHS/RHS series for years.

OTOH, most of the creators of the other mods were old friends of mine from Uncommon Valor days, and I know they worked as hard to create their mods for the same reasons.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 2
RE: OK what Mods/Maps do you recommend - 9/26/2018 5:48:04 PM   
ETF

Thanks again, sir. Your such a help. Yes, I fell in love with Uncommon Valour.....it was a great product for the time!

I take it each player must have the same maps?

< Message edited by ETF -- 9/26/2018 6:21:55 PM >

My Top Matrix Games 1)CMO MP?? 2)Waterloo 3)War In the Pacific/AE 4)End All Wars

@TacticWargamer

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: OK what Mods/Maps do you recommend - 9/27/2018 3:39:36 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

Thanks again, sir. Your such a help. Yes, I fell in love with Uncommon Valour.....it was a great product for the time!

Different mods may use different maps.
IIRC the map which came with WITP AE is itself an extended map, designed by Andrew Brown IIRC?

The RHS map is an extension of that and it's designer (El Cid) even works with seasons which alter certain units on different terrain over time.
(Newer roads and railroads are built over time, ice prevents ships from certain sea hexes at times, etc.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 4
RE: OK what Mods/Maps do you recommend - 9/27/2018 10:36:51 PM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

All artwork in on your PC is just eye candy and will not affect the other player.

This means you can install all sorts of 'art' mods such as unit patches, rotating aircraft artwork and alternate map graphics (such as the World in Flames, Pacifica Bellum style maps etc) as none of the these files affect the data that is used to run the game itself (even on your machine)...

The extended map is a different story as it is not the same as the standard map and changes the underlying pwhexe.dat file that contains the map data that the game uses. Both players MUST have identical pwhexe.dat map data files on their machines though they may look different on the screen due to different map artwork files (WPExxx.BMP).

If a different map is used in a scenario mod, the designer should (will) describe this in the mod description and include the updated pwhexe.dat file in the package. They will probably also include updated map art files so you see the map changes on your screen but you are free to make what ever changes you like to this artwork and it will not affect the other player.

I hope this all makes sense???

< Message edited by Reg -- 9/28/2018 3:08:43 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 5
RE: OK what Mods/Maps do you recommend - 10/10/2018 8:22:54 PM   
ETF

Oh yes, thank you, Reg. I will try out some of the Non-extended maps. Any scenarios to practice with as an allied player? Ones that don't have extended maps?

Cheers

@TacticWargamer

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 6
RE: OK what Mods/Maps do you recommend - 10/29/2018 10:43:12 PM   
kbfchicago

I recommend LST's mod. He recently posted an updated version (in the last 30 days or so...).

I do not believe you can use Chem Kids map, which is for my money the most visually appealing. LST has done extensive mod on DBB to include a host of new units to include Uboats, small national units (e.g. Thai), a European point of entry for Axis units, etc.. LST's map has many of the attributes of the extended map(s) and does have stacking limits.

I have played LSTs mod vs. AI (both sides) they are competitive and will hold your attention into late 43, early 44. As with all scenarios...best as PBEM.

my 2 cents.

Kevin

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> OK what Mods/Maps do you recommend Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI