Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map Snaps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Map Snaps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map Snaps - 9/25/2018 7:13:53 PM   
sPzAbt653

The action when the map snaps to another location when opening the Unit, Formation or OOB boxes. I think the game is attempting to show the current selected unit out from under the box by moving the map. Maybe I'm wrong. Whatever it is doing, I don't like it, its annoying, I constantly have to put the map back where it was. Sometimes the map jumps to an area so far from where I was I get momentarily lost. We have the ability to move the boxes ourselves [although this requires a precision mouse grab of a tiny border area rather than simply grabbing the the box anywhere] so I don't even see what the point of the map snapping is. Additionally, we can adjust the opacity of the boxes so that they are see thru. Hopefully someone can point out what I am missing and why this map snapping is a feature.
Post #: 1
RE: Map Snaps - 9/25/2018 10:12:14 PM   
Lobster

For me this just happens with the U and F keys. Not the O. It moves the map to the position it's in when the scenario is first started. But yeah, very annoying and likely not a feature. I don't know why it would even be made to do that. I never use the U, F, or O keys. I always click the buttons in the UNITS tab so never saw this.

The reason you can't grab a window just anyplace is because it can cause a button push and you wouldn't want to be pushing just any button whenever you went to move a window. Bad things could happen. However, if the game windows could be moved by grabbing with the right mouse button no window buttons would be pushed. At least I don't think the right mouse button pushes any buttons.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 2
RE: Map Snaps - 9/25/2018 11:48:49 PM   
Meyer1

Yeah there's no need to such feature since there are many ways to center the map on the selected unit (left click on the unit panel, numpad 5, right click on the mini map)
Also very annoying is the map centering in the last selected unit after resolving a series of battles.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: Map Snaps - 9/26/2018 7:22:52 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

The reason you can't grab a window just anyplace is because it can cause a button push and you wouldn't want to be pushing just any button whenever you went to move a window.

Well, wouldn't I have to pretty much be an idiot to try and move a box by grabbing a button
quote:

Also very annoying is the map centering in the last selected unit after resolving a series of battles.

I've thought so too, but what are the alternatives that would actually be better ? I think anyplace it centers is going to be aggravating at some time or another. The way it is now, we know that if we want to start in a certain area after combats are completed, we can select a unit there and then it will return to that same unit [after combats].

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 4
RE: Map Snaps - 9/26/2018 10:41:55 AM   
Lobster

The Buttons Panel is nothing but buttons. A simple mouse over will show you that. No Spaces between them. At all. The other panels are a different matter. You could left click on them anywhere and be ok. But I don't know how that would affect all of the mouse over info they provide not to mention the programming time to rework it all. I don't know how they would resolve any of this. I know Ralph has made the drag borders larger than they had been. Not sure how smart it would be to use a right click to drag since so many things on the map are tied to right clicking. One slip up and your game is ruined. No idea how this could be resolved short of making the drag border bigger again.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 2:07:46 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

One slip up and your game is ruined.

I didn't realize it was this serious a thing. I didn't want to mention it back when this thread was first posted, but during Beta the 'box grab' was initially allowed to happen anywhere and I don't recall any issues at all. Then it was changed to Borders Only and then there was this issue.

quote:

The Buttons Panel is nothing but buttons.

Understood, but like I said earlier, only an idiot would think they could grab a button and drag a box, and we have no idiots here!

And the Map Snap is still one of the frustrating issues of TOAW IV, and since I am confined to quarters on a Friday night, I am looking for something to cry about.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 6
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 3:15:07 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

One slip up and your game is ruined.

I didn't realize it was this serious a thing. I didn't want to mention it back when this thread was first posted, but during Beta the 'box grab' was initially allowed to happen anywhere and I don't recall any issues at all. Then it was changed to Borders Only and then there was this issue.

quote:

The Buttons Panel is nothing but buttons.

Understood, but like I said earlier, only an idiot would think they could grab a button and drag a box, and we have no idiots here!

And the Map Snap is still one of the frustrating issues of TOAW IV, and since I am confined to quarters on a Friday night, I am looking for something to cry about.

House arrest?

Cntrl and LMB/RMB would work for most anything methinks. But all this was last year. I have trouble remembering last night.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 3:24:03 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

House arrest?

Temporary financial embarrassment

quote:

Cntrl and LMB/RMB

No idea what that is.

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 5/25/2019 3:27:01 AM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 8
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 3:29:37 AM   
Zovs

I third the annoying map snap thing.

Worse yet is while in the editor and in deployment mode, hit u for a reinforcement unit and try to change the icon color or size and it will CTD every time.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 4:52:32 AM   
sPzAbt653

If I hit 'U' in the Editor for a unit that is not currently deployed on map, the map snaps far away into the nether realms where it is stark, desolate and lonely. Such is the legacy of TOAW IV !

But of course, we shan't complain of the Editor because the original ones are no longer supported and the 'new' ones are incomplete and will not be finished. TOAW IV says 'Scenario Designers ? We don't need no stinkin' Scenario Designers !'

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 10
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 10:01:15 AM   
Lobster

Only change the icon color in the Force Editor. Anywhere else is a sure fail.

I was thinking it might be better to edit scenarios 300x300 and smaller in TOAWIII. Then port it to TOAWIV.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 5/25/2019 10:05:05 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 11
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 11:35:47 AM   
Shadrach

I agree, the jump is annoying, maybe not so much for the Unit Report, as it makes sense that the map would snap to the location of the unit being examined. But often when I use the Group Comp. view the map will move all the way to whatever unit is active at the moment. I try to remember to select a unit near the ones I'm looking at before I press the Group view key.

It also makes sense for the Formation Rep. But for instance the OOB report does not snap to active unit.

The Group Comp. view should be changed to *not* snap to the active unit as often it is not the one being examined.

This is another reason why it should be possible to deselect units...

I don't use the Editor as the UI nerd in me would have a fit

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 5/25/2019 11:38:55 AM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 12
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 12:36:33 PM   
Zovs

The editor needs the most rework it’s flaky at best, inconsistent and prone to crashing while using the new unit editor.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 13
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 3:41:58 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

The editor needs the most rework it’s flaky at best, inconsistent and prone to crashing while using the new unit editor.

That's because the new unit editor is not done. That's why you are urged not to use it. If you continue to use it and it breaks your stuff it's on you.

Will it ever be completed? Let me look at my Magic 8 Ball and see what it says.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 14
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 4:25:08 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

it makes sense that the map would snap to the location of the unit being examined ... It also makes sense for the Formation Rep.

Please don't say such things, it only encourages the insanity. Let me clarify - if a positive response suits the project manager's opinion, then one positive response will offset all negative responses [if there was even any consideration to the negative side in the first place].

If we want to center the map on a unit, we can already left click on the Unit Display in the upper right, or right click on the Mini Map in the lower right. This Map Snap thing was one of those interesting things that was worth a try, but in actual use it is simply annoying and discouraging.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 15
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 4:35:46 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

it might be better to edit scenarios 300x300 and smaller in TOAWIII.

I wasn't the only one that was doing this. I have grown into IV and the New Unit Editor because it is easier to remove equipment, but I flop back the Original Editors for all else.

quote:

Will it ever be completed?

As I said, the original ones are no longer supported and the 'new' ones will not be finished. This is the official stance, which as I've also said is ridiculous. Understand this - none of the seasoned scenario designers are working on any new scenarios, and nobody is saying anything about it. I've tracked several of them down and they are all not happy with IV and have instead moved on to other games or retired. Sure, some will always be disgruntled, but in this case you have all being disgruntled. It is surely a record in gaming and Matrix surely should have noticed this.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 16
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 5:58:09 PM   
Zovs

Agreed, I almost threw in the towel when the editor CTD and I lost two hours of work, on top of that the stupid supply bug was back, but I fixed that and moved on. Once WIE is done I may not do any more editing and simply go back to creating scenarios and campaigns for SPWW2.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 17
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 7:25:19 PM   
sPzAbt653

I was actually done with TOAW and was working on SC3 for a couple of years. Recently, SC3 has had folder issues [similar to but not the same as TOAW] so I ran from it and started playing TOAW, but this Screen Jumpin' Map Snapping got me to quit after eight turns, too damn annoying to play. Then I thought about some things I wanted to do with D21 many years ago but never got around to doing, so currently I am working on that. The lesser of three evils

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 18
RE: Map Snaps - 5/25/2019 11:59:36 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
The lesser of three (w)evils

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwIN8J3RAE

One of the best movies ever.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Map Snaps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI