From: Bramble Rose Farm, KS
I think below 2500 meters per hex, the regimental system starts to get dicey. At 2000 meters per hex, the German regiments in this scenario can't cover two of the five hexes with zones of control (the historical units covered a 10km front). At 1500 meters per hex, the problem gets worse. The ZOCs of these units will cover three hexes (4500 meters) leaving 5,500 meters uncovered (3.6 hexes). To do the historical job, the regiments would have to break down into battalions...which means more units on the map that are not regiments (regimental HQ, artillery, AT, AA, combat engineer, etc.)...which is against the idea of fewer units, smaller stacks, and operational level. I think 2500 meters is the "All-in" for a regimental system.
Regimental System Parameters
* 2500 meters per hex
* Regimental level means all units in-game are regiments/brigades except the following:
- Machine-gun Battalions (Corps/Army; not divisional)
- Assault gun Battalions
- Bridging Engineers Companies (Corps/Army; not divisional)
- Assault Engineers Battalions (Corps/Army; not divisional)
- Antiaircraft Battalions (Corps/Army; not divisional)
- Antitank Battalion (Corps/Army; not divisional)
* The combat power of all divisional assets (artillery, combat engineers, antiaircraft, antitank, reconnaissance, etc.) is totaled, split up and rolled into the two or three regiments/brigades that comprise a division.
* Players assign Supplies by the Corps (Germans) and Army (Soviets)...there are no division or regiment HQs units in the regimental system.
* Organizational counter colors will be assigned by corps/army with divisional counter names.
* There are no platoon-sized units: limited company-sized units (bridge engineers).
* There are no ground reconnaissance units unless they are corps or army asset. Reconnaissance capability (strength and range) of regiments is increased.
* There will be 3-turns per day (2 day/1 night). The operational level needs more days per week to develop as opposed to turns per day at the tactical level. Night capable units are introduced.
* Movement Factors are increased to allow for the ground scale change:
- Infantry - 10
- Cavalry - 12
- Motorized/Mech/Armor - 18
- Air Assets will represent air groups (not squadrons).
We are nearly decided. Alpha testing will school us the answer.
< Message edited by bcgames -- 12/6/2018 1:04:10 PM >