Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More dumb questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> More dumb questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More dumb questions - 9/20/2018 3:05:08 AM   
ErikBruvold

Playing as Axis. This is still at "easy" and I STILL can't beat it consistently.

1) Is late sealion an option? I am finding that spliting my 1941 panzers is a bad thing. I can make substantial progress on Sealion (including a game I eliminated all units from the Britain) but that leaves my barbarrosa mired down well west of the Dneiper and then usually suffering a complete collapse on at least one flank (usually in the Ukraine). When I send most of my armor east I am usually able to take Leningrad and Moscow and with more orderly work with the minors put the Soviets on their heels by the end of 1942. But then the allies launch an early Torch/Overlord and Germany hates the two front war ;-)

2) Should I split the air and armor? I find that dislodging the enemy from his urban strong points requires multiple units and especially air and armor. Is there a better way? See #1....without concentrating these forces EITHER in the East or West I can't make quick enough progress.

3) I see a lot of AAR that discuss diplo against Soviets and US to keep them out of the war for as long as possible. Does this work? What are the "tricks" to keep the AI agression low. It seems US will always declare early if I grab London. I haven't tried to delay the Russians - maybe that on my next play through.

4) Middle east is the only front I feel OK on. I usually get Egypt and have been doing so without needing to bomb Malta into the ground. That allows my air to stay west for Sealion. Requires good tactics but that is the only front I feel like I am getting it done. Why is Rommel so good (or is it that the Brits have bad supply in the ME?)
Post #: 1
RE: More dumb questions - 9/20/2018 4:20:48 AM   
DeriKuk

1) Launched Sealion in late 1945, with Moscow surrounded - but deliberately not taken - and driving northwards from the Caucasus... and won Decisively. No Vichy; USSR declared war on Axis in September 1941... plodded patiently east for most of the game.

2) Panzers 90% East; Fighters (ALL built) 70% West; Ground Attack planes ALL East or Africa/ME - until Sealion ...then 80% West with 90% Fighters.

3) No, do not bother with Majors - it's a waste. Concentrate on Spain, Sweden and Turkey.

4) Head for Persia, with the MOBILE Italians taking Saudi Arabia, and pacifying it with 5 Garrison units.

(in reply to ErikBruvold)
Post #: 2
RE: More dumb questions - 9/20/2018 4:31:51 AM   
LLv34Mika

Some hints for the basic game... sorry if some of them are "dumb" (as you say)
I just want to make sure that we don't miss something critical. Then it should be really no problem to beat the AI.

- HQs are the key! Attacking with a unit not attached to a HQ (except using a corps to reduce entrenchment) is a very bad idea. HQs provide better results, they provide more supply and more supply means higher morale. Higher morale means higher readiness --> better combat results.

- France should be down in summer 40. If you are very fast before June and if you are very slow after August (depends on weather of course).

- Air force is most important. Controlling the sky means controlling the game. In the basic game (no mods) you will always see an online player buying all tactical and medium bombers and fighters. Many of them also attach them to the strongest HQ (eg Manstein)

- that comes along with research. Better ground attack weapons, better aircraft and longer range are vital. If you don't let your air units lose their experience (waiting for more damage before you repair again) they can become real monsters.

- Tanks and armies! They do most damage, especially tanks and heavy tanks. If you are ahead in tank research the Germans should have no problems with the Russians until 1943. Of course that means building ALL tanks after France falls and as soon as heavy tanks are available.

- Attack in groups ("Klotzen, nicht kleckern." - a quote from Manstein himself). Having a unit here and there won't help. Have groups with air assistance where you need them and only a guard/defense where you don't expect any action.

- Have an eye on entrenchment when you attack. Reduce entrenchment with cheap units or medium bombers before the stukas, tanks and armies do their job.

- If possible destroy an enemy HQ first. The result is that any counter attacks are by far less dangerous.

If you do all that it should be really easy to achieven an Axis deceisive victory somewhere around 1943 and you won't even need any diplo for that. If you use diplomacy I would suggest to bring Spain into the war asap. Using diplo on US or USSR is expensive and is more gambling then gaming (and it feels not so right for me).

If there was nothing (!) new for you then I would suggest that you post a screenshot of your frontline. Highlight a unit that is about to attack (hovering your mouse over the enemy unit) so I can see what is going on with that unit and the units around it. If you just read some things that you never heard before you have something to try out.

Beating the AI on easy should be no challenge at all... as soon as you get used to some basic strategies you will kick the AI in no time. Then you can switch to online challenges. The first few games will let you sit there with open mouth. So don't get used to AI strategies too much ;)

Good luck and have fun!
Mika

"Oderint, dum metuant."

(in reply to ErikBruvold)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> More dumb questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI