Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cabido's Sounds Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mods >> Cabido's Sounds Mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/10/2018 11:46:03 PM   
Cabido

I've set up a sound mod with some sounds downloaded from the internet, mixed with the original Toaw's sound.
The original sounds are short, stop abruptly and are too clean, engendering a studio like feeling. The sounds on this mod are more "dirty" (multiple sounds mixed with eco an noise) and longer, which causes some mix up with following sounds, generating an interesting caotic effect, more proper of a war environment.

http://toawstuff.000webhostapp.com
Post #: 1
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/12/2018 3:55:02 PM   
gwgardner

Installed. I'll give it a try in my next game. Thanks for your efforts to improve the experience.

Aggressors: Ancient Rome
My favorite 4x game now.

http://www.slitherine.com/products/723/details/Aggressors.Ancient.Rome

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 2
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/12/2018 7:34:26 PM   
Cabido

You're welcome. Post your impressions. There is always room for improvement and this was a lot less painful to do than the graphics mod.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/13/2018 7:43:09 PM   
gwgardner

The sounds of marching are rather soft and muted. Perhaps you intended that? I also note that in the 'great war' scenario I'm playing, the infantry and cavalry march sounds are the same.

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 4
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/13/2018 9:59:04 PM   
sPzAbt653

truck1 is also a little low on the volume and can barely be heard, while explosion1-4 are loud and make me feel like I should turn the sound down. Still love them, just giving some feedback.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 5
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/13/2018 10:00:51 PM   
Cabido

Sounds of marching, trucks, cavalry and railway transportation had their levels reduced in fact (marching a bit more than others), since I think that the combat sounds, mainly explosions, should have a greater impact, and those should be more subtle. Yet, it is always difficult to evaluate the perception of others without feedback. If you think they are just too soft, tell me and I'll try to increase the levels a bit. I won't put them on the same level of the combat sounds though, since this difference was intentional.

Regarding the scenario you are playing, it is difficult to evaluate why it happens this way. In fact, I don't know what is the condition for the game to trigger the cavalry sounds. I was unable to see them played in scenarios with cavalry nato symbols or scenarios with lots of horse teams in units. Perhaps the game will only play them when the unit is exclusively composed of horse teams. I don't know. Anyway, the sounds are there, but I have no control over the triggers for these sounds, I just replaced the originals.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 6
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/13/2018 10:01:46 PM   
Cabido

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

truck1 is also a little low on the volume and can barely be heard, while explosion1-4 are loud and make me feel like I should turn the sound down. Still love them, just giving some feedback.

I'll adjust those. I see that the difference has been made to big.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/13/2018 11:40:39 PM   
gwgardner

Combat sounds are excellent, more immersive in my opinion than the default.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 9/13/2018 11:41:34 PM >

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 8
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/14/2018 12:45:26 AM   
Cabido

I have uploaded a new version of the pack. The sounds have now a subtler difference in levels. I have limited explosions to a maximum of -6/-4 db. Marching, trucks etc have had their levels raised.

Following sPzAbt653 suggestions, I have deleted explosion5 (in fact a little inconsistent with the other explosions) and have changed fire2.

Thanks sPzAbt653 and gwgardner for the feedbacks. It's the only way to get things right. If there is still something wrong, just tell me. I didn't have the time for exhaustive in-game testing.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 9
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/14/2018 12:59:34 AM   
Rosseau

Thank you for this. With all the scenarios, this is a creative way to mod one of the most moddable games in history ;)

Actually, thought I knew stuff, but where do you put your sound folder/files?

Thanks again

< Message edited by Rosseau -- 9/14/2018 4:31:28 AM >

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 10
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/14/2018 7:18:38 PM   
Cabido

There is a Toaw folder in your Documents folder with stuff like graphics and sounds. Just backup your original sound folder (to be able to revert the to the original sounds) and substitute the original sound files with those in the pack.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 11
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/14/2018 7:42:26 PM   
sPzAbt653

I got the latest, and truck and explosion seem PERFECT now, thank you ! Excellent work, I plan on adding more in as I play.

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 12
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/15/2018 11:15:38 AM   
fulcrum28

thanks! it is a good attempt and looks nice. However, i disagree slightly. Most of attacks are perfrmed by infantry units. Explosions (what seems to be of artillery) for those attacks do not fit too much and i found it too repetitive or monotone. Perhaps adding simply MG42 (machine gun) with soft explosion background could be the right way. But not sure if machinegun sounds are available.

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 13
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/15/2018 12:55:37 PM   
sPzAbt653

I think if your attack contains artillery, that you will hear Explosion1-4 in addition to Fire2. I'd have to pay attention to an attack without artillery to be certain.

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 14
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/15/2018 1:05:27 PM   
gwgardner

I installed the updated sounds, and the marching volume is very good. Thanks.

My favorite 4x game now.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 15
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/15/2018 2:26:47 PM   
Cabido

quote:

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28

thanks! it is a good attempt and looks nice. However, i disagree slightly. Most of attacks are perfrmed by infantry units. Explosions (what seems to be of artillery) for those attacks do not fit too much and i found it too repetitive or monotone. Perhaps adding simply MG42 (machine gun) with soft explosion background could be the right way. But not sure if machinegun sounds are available.

Notice that I didn't touch this aspect. What was explosion in the original, keeps being explosion in this pack. The game triggers an explosion sound if there is combat support by artillery, which is very frequent. I only changed the characteristics of the sound. Most sounds are mixed with others, in order to be less clean (without the studio like character), made them longer and with fade out effects, to prevent abrupt interruption, added some reverberation etc.

As expressed by sPzAbt653, fire2 and explosions are played if there is artillery involved. And, repetitive or not, if there is artillery involved their sounds should in fact be heard. When an infantry/mixed unit attack "multifire hvy" is also triggered. Here you get mixed sounds, but if there is artillery support, you'll get the fire2/explosions combo also. You may be noticing it now because the sounds are longer and because your perception is directed to it, but they were already repetitive. In the real world you would, most of the time, have some firing in the background, but that is represented by the background sounds, if turned on.

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 16
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/15/2018 4:09:54 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Most sounds are mixed with others, in order to be less clean

I think it works very well. I started with Explosions, then added Trucks, and have now added Fire. It all sounds very nice, and is impressive. Thanks very much!
I will add in Multifire soon

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 17
RE: Cabido's Sounds Mod - 9/16/2018 6:14:53 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Perhaps adding simply MG42 (machine gun) with soft explosion background could be the right way.

I swapped Fire1 and Fire2 and I like it, you may like it too. It seems that Fire1 is not used much, but Fire2 is used a lot, and Cabido's Fire1 is very nice [which as I said I switched with Fire2 so now I hear Cabido's Fire1 a lot ].

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 9/16/2018 9:30:33 AM >

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mods >> Cabido's Sounds Mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI