Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/25/2018 11:46:01 AM   
DWReese

I have a question about Cargo Missions. I have watched everyone of the tutorials on You Tube, and played around with some Cargo Missions in various scenarios, but I have not seen this topic covered.

I am familiar with the original method of air dropping paratroopers (say 24) by having the air unit fly to a spot, and when it gets there then I simply have the Event Editor teleport the units from somewhere to this particular spot. I have used this often. Using this method you can gets lots of troops all at once.

But, this question pertains to the new method of actually loading the troops. I see HOW to do it, and I have done it. My question is that I can't find a large group of paratroopers in the list of various cargo things to load. Most of what I see is confined to about 3-man units. I realize that this is more realistic to load EIGHT 3-man units to get to 24 paratroopers, but are there any other LARGER groups of paratroopers that I could load and take care of it all in one shot?

Hopefully, I have explained this properly.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Post #: 1
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/25/2018 12:10:30 PM   
[BSM]Roby7979

These 4 inf/par are formed by teams of 20 mens

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by [BSM]Roby7979 -- 8/25/2018 12:11:13 PM >

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 2
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/25/2018 12:54:15 PM   
DWReese

Thanks for responding.

I must be missing something.

I'm not in a position of saying that you are incorrect, but from what I have been told the unit (paratroopers) that I am loading as CARGO have to be selected from the CARGO list. At least, this is how I have done this before. Simply finding a unit from the "Add New Unit" list has never worked for me. Perhaps I am wrong and any unit can become CARGO, but I haven't ever been able to do it that way.

As CARGO, I have loaded eight 3-man teams (totaling 24 men), but I haven't been able to load the paratroopers from the Add New Unit/Facility menu. The way that you selected IS the way that I do it if I'm not using CARGO, but I wanted to actually LOAD CARGO.

Please show me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks again.

Doug

(in reply to [BSM]Roby7979)
Post #: 3
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/25/2018 1:26:48 PM   
[BSM]Roby7979

You're right.. In the list there are no paratroopers.. Is that I have always used Lua script by first choosing the infantry type that interests me.. But now that I'm going to load from the menu.. There are no Specific paratroopers available.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by [BSM]Roby7979 -- 8/25/2018 1:30:19 PM >

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 4
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/25/2018 1:36:47 PM   
Gunner98

This system allows you to combine types into an organization you want:

6x 4 man infantry (24 pax)

3x 7.72 MG (2 pax per I think - 6)

3x AT of your choice (variable)

=about a platoon

When they drop from one carrier they form one infantry unit on the ground. A mix and match Lego build.

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

Post #: 5
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/25/2018 1:46:30 PM   
[BSM]Roby7979

Ineffects It's better to compose your own platoon as you want..

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 6
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/25/2018 1:50:42 PM   
DWReese

Thanks Bart.

What I have been seeing is that these units generally have various weapons, (sometimes even vehicles), etc., with them, and I was looking primarily for just the paratroopers by themselves. (Your Northern Fury scenario has inspired me to have a greater understanding of the newer way.)

So, if I understand you correctly, I can combine all of these guys together, and they will appear as just one "counter" or unit on the map? Is that right? Wow, this program is really good if it combine the characteristics of all of these units into one.

Thanks again.

Doug

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 7
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/25/2018 2:12:24 PM   
DWReese

I just did what Bart said and combined the units. It worked fine.

I was wondering, in cases where you really weren't too concerned with weight distribution (such as dropping paratroopers), it might be easier to use the original method of teleporting the units. It's a much easier method and accomplishes the same thing.

To Bart: I assume that you could have a mix-match of missions in the same scenario in that one air drop could include 38 paratroopers that were teleported, and then an actual cargo mission to drop tanks, other vehicles, weapons, as well as personnel, all in the same scenario. If so, do you know of any scenario in existence that actually does that?

Thanks again. (See what Northern Fury did to me? <lol>

Doug

Post #: 8
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/25/2018 2:42:33 PM   
DWReese

Is 30 minutes the normal load time for all Cargo, or do somethings take longer? If the times aren't the same, is there a list of how long things take to load? That info would sure help for mission planning.

Doug

< Message edited by DWReese -- 8/25/2018 3:19:50 PM >

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 9
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/25/2018 4:19:51 PM   
DWReese

Can anyone recommend any scenarios that make extensive use of Cargo Missions?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 10
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/27/2018 3:53:38 PM   
serjames

TRY IOW:4 Gates of tears..... Cargo-tastic

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 11
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/27/2018 4:19:54 PM   
Gunner98

Hay Doug

There was some discussion on this a while back: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4518454

There are three methods or transport:

Cargo: as you're discovering has great granularity but some tricky bits and doesn't do everything
Lua: An advanced teleport which some really good options
Teleport: The old standby but has the main disadvantage that the unit has to be on the map somewhere. I often put them on an non-aligned side, at a polar opposite to the player, they switch sides when they teleport.

All three are useful, all three have their place and all three have disadvantages. The designer just needs to balance it out and decide. You can and I believe should mix and match as required.

As serjames indicates: IOF#4 Gate of tears has a bunch of cargo stuff. I cannot recall if teleport is used but the cargo module and Lua are certainly used. Another one is 'Jar Heads on Ice' and a few of the lead up to the Iceland Amphib scenarios. Another is coming out shortly once I get my act together.

I think that 30 min is a good time estimate - perhaps a bit slow, but certainly workable - if its going to unload in 15 seconds, it won't take long to load. Considering that the cargo plane will have to conduct its standard preparation, normally 2-4 hours, which I think is good as well. People are easy, and everything else is either on pallets or wheels.

There are some bona-fide jumpers on the Forum - Airborne Rifles and Ultra-Dave for certain, who can verify that, but loading a Hurc is quick, getting off is quicker.

Bart

(in reply to serjames)
Post #: 12
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/27/2018 5:07:00 PM   
DWReese

Hi Bart,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I'm playing around with IOF#4 Gate of Tears right now. There is lots of activity. But, that isn't nearly as wild as your NF #1 scenario which got me started on cargo. Wow!

Yes, I'm now familiar with all of the ways to use cargo, and I've become quite proficient. I find it very interesting.

I will check out "Jar Heads on Ice" when I finish here.

Thanks again.

Doug

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 13
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/28/2018 8:50:39 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98
Hay Doug
Lua: An advanced teleport which some really good options

Gunner98
What LUA command offers advanced teleport features.
I probably should know already as much as I monkey with LUA, but I admit I do not.
Thank you.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 14
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/28/2018 9:02:05 PM   
Gunner98

I think that I miss-worded that, I was referring to:

ScenEdit_AddUnit (unit) ...you can set course, speed etc with this one

Or is you wish: ScenEdit_SetUnit (unit) if the unit is already on the map, just change its location, side and pretty much anything else.

B

< Message edited by Gunner98 -- 8/28/2018 9:03:01 PM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 15
RE: Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers - 8/30/2018 3:46:06 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98
I think that I miss-worded that, I was referring to: ScenEdit_AddUnit (unit) ...you can set course, speed etc with this one
Or is you wish: ScenEdit_SetUnit (unit) if the unit is already on the map, just change its location, side and pretty much anything else.
B

Thank you!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Cargo Question -- Air Dropping Lots of Paratroopers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI