Looks like you got the concept down pretty well. I'll have to post what I had elsewhere, as my account I guess has not been active long enough or something.
Basically as a Graphics Coordinator, it was my responsibility to re-size what I was provided. Keep in mind I only got artist credit because I had to do repair work - at any rate I did some tests on some of the material that I had been given running it out of Tiller's other title in that same series at the time, just to see how it would look, especially when compared to what else was out there.
The artist I was working with, at that point was Joe Amoral, their long time artist, and one of the things I encouraged Joe was not to worry too much about doing them small - getting them small was my problem to worry about.
What you got above looks pretty similar to what we had ... although a lot of what was hoped to be done was to work with various 1:72 scale figures (not even all necessarily exactly from the period -but ones that you could adapt to it).
The figures are one thing, the terrain, that is another ... see the ultimate goal is to take advantage of 24 bit graphics (ideally 32 bit with a transparency layer but the 24 bit anyone can add right now).
thats interesting, that the initial pieces being done at a higher scale - i am not familiar though with what the 24bit graphics capability means or would mean though, i would think that you could just use the terrain from the napoleonic games already.
so are you still working on any of this?
it was fun to make the little image i did - tempted to do more, but there is alot to do and doing all the multiple sides
what scale were the images being made initially at?
Put simply the difference between 8 bit and 24 bit graphics just means the numbers of colours that you can use. Off the top of my head 24 bit is like 16.6 million different options, and 8 bit is a lot less.
Scale? Technically speaking - at whatever the artist sent them to me. I then was going to go with a scale that showed more detail than what they normally had. Roughly speaking, was I was maybe going to go with 4 guys standing shooting as line (what would fit in the hex basically), for skirmishers (there are not many- but there are a few) - maybe 2 guys - one kneeling firing, and the other with a gun sort of at ready but not firing. Cav probably 2 figures per hex, and column guys in marching order.
One thing you want to be wary of -is if you ever branch out to the Civil War series -the facing between the two engines are different. The one you are working at - front is to the hex spine in front of where you are pointing, conversely in the other engine (Civil War one) it is the hex side instead.
I do appreciate the advice about the merging accounts - I never did post here all that often anyways, but I imagine I just put in the time, and eventually it happens. I was making the comment more out of sensitivity of -who is this dude with the 3 posts is all :).
I'm not actively working on this -but I can get a map file to work in there. They have me on to other, non-art projects there for awhile. I'll try to make the 3d happen for the third title in the series (I'll be doing more than art for that one). I might get a set of map files, and some place holders for the units. The complication is in the assigning of images to the oob files. I did some work to see about resizing and where the best place to add an image in the master file was going to be, but that is about as far as I got before the decision to bring another artist onboard was made.