Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon - 8/23/2018 3:30:24 AM   
BKL

I am playing Operations Lions Den and I can fire on one radar station without any issue. For the other radar stations, even though we are in range, it says "automatic fire is not possible, no threat emitters are currently radiating." What does this mean?
Post #: 1
RE: Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon - 8/23/2018 7:12:35 AM   
CHM

It means the radar is not turned on.

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 2
RE: Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon - 8/23/2018 2:31:06 PM   
BKL

quote:

ORIGINAL: CHM

So is this saying the enemy radars need to be on in order for the weapon to locate and fire at them?

(in reply to CHM)
Post #: 3
RE: Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon - 8/23/2018 3:51:52 PM   
SeaQueen

It may be turned on and the platform is not receiving the emission.

(in reply to CHM)
Post #: 4
RE: Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon - 8/27/2018 9:11:17 AM   
Dysta

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen

It may be turned on and the platform is not receiving the emission.

I think that is the best answer. Most of the anti-radiation missile's seeker cannot have a big unit for scanning bigger wavelength. If the target radar is emitting a longer wavelength or other emission that cannot be seeked by the missile, then it cannot be locked on.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 5
RE: Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon - 8/27/2018 1:00:23 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

I think that is the best answer. Most of the anti-radiation missile's seeker cannot have a big unit for scanning bigger wavelength. If the target radar is emitting a longer wavelength or other emission that cannot be seeked by the missile, then it cannot be locked on.

It could also be as simple as just being too far away. I've been playing around with PAK-FA and the semi-ballistic ARM it's got in the database, trying to use it as a standoff ARM and take advantage of its long range. I've had mixed results because the aircraft needs to be able to somehow detect emissions remotely, and I either haven't found a good way to do it, or there's a Russian capability out there which might not be reflected in the database.

In the end, it hasn't gone too badly in my scenario, because the low observability of the PAK-FA makes it less worrisome if it has to get closer to a SAM site, but it's still not ideal. Why shoot from 50NM when you can shoot from 100NM?

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 8/27/2018 3:32:19 PM >

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 6
RE: Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon - 8/27/2018 1:09:02 PM   
wild_Willie2

@SeaQueen,

BOL launches do not need a transmission to lock on too before launch and seem to work pretty well for me.

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 7
RE: Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon - 8/27/2018 1:20:27 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

@SeaQueen,

BOL launches do not need a transmission to lock on too before launch and seem to work pretty well for me.

That's true, but getting the AI to shoot "bearing only" is a current shortcoming. It would be cool if you could get the AI to do things like "timed shots" and what not, but that's currently beyond the capability of the sim.

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 8
RE: Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon - 8/28/2018 1:45:42 AM   
rmunie0613

quote:

ORIGINAL: BKL

quote:

ORIGINAL: CHM

So is this saying the enemy radars need to be on in order for the weapon to locate and fire at them?

Yes, Anti-radiation missiles home in on the radar signal...so if the radar is off, they cannot fire at it, in which case part of your mission is already successful- radar off means it cannot direct ITS missiles at you, either... so the cost of "saving itself" is "not accomplishing its duty"...perhaps a good reason, but not bad for your part, either.

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Threat Emitters not Radiating - cannot fire weapon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI