Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nice WITP theater ship info

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Nice WITP theater ship info Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/18/2018 2:33:40 PM   
m10bob

Hello..I use youtube quite a bit for historical clips and recently I noticed a user named Navyreviewer has been posting info on many of the ships in our great game.
His clips usually show a single pic of each class and he reads a description of each ship of that class...
Dunno what his sources are but they match mine.

To find his collection...I just typed something like BALTIMORE CLASS...or KONGO CLASS into the youtube browser and it will bring up his clips.
Then, put your cursor on his name...add him as a favorite and scroll his entire collection.
I learned why some of the early U.S. Heavy Cruisers were such rotten ships, leading to some of their losses at Savo Island.
So far he has posted CV's down to DD's and at least some of the subs...(that I know of)..
I use an app called MP3 Rocket to download them and they range from roughly 8 minutes to 22 minutes per clip, depending on the size of the class.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 8/18/2018 2:34:41 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/18/2018 2:43:18 PM   
inqistor

They store ammo in those hanging pockets, behind thin wall? First hit will detonate everything, and kill whole crew.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/18/2018 3:49:19 PM   
Dili

Well it needs to work fast.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 3
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/18/2018 3:58:48 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

They store ammo in those hanging pockets, behind thin wall? First hit will detonate everything, and kill whole crew.

The turrets inside all tanks looked the same, and were equally dangerous.
War is hell.

In the pic, the guy closest to the camera with his back to us is the gun chief. That was my dad-in-laws' job in the Coast Guard when aboard the USS Calloway APA 19..Al told me that his left hand he always had an iron bar which was used to "encourage" the gun crews..(This was an encouraged and SOP practice.)
All of his gun crew were black...and none of them ever left their post.
In a brief break during an aerial assault around Okinawa or Iwo Jima...Al went below decks to fetch food for his crew and a Japanese plane came in low and killed the entire crew with a direct kamikaze hit on his gun tub.

< Message edited by m10bob -- 8/18/2018 4:01:25 PM >

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 4
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/18/2018 5:25:38 PM   
BBfanboy

Shouldn't the guy with the steel bar be sitting down working the peddles and aiming the guns? What is he doing - getting ready to change barrels on the gun?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 5
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/18/2018 9:37:17 PM   
JeffroK

I cant see anyone holding a steel bar, someone is holding onto a piece of "frame", maybe there to stop them falling off the mount.

As its a quad 40mm, maybe there are 2 sets of pedals and the pointer and trainer take it in turns to "drive" the mount.

The gun captain is the guy in the middle with the headphones.

USS Callaway was APA 35 after originally being numbered AP 80

< Message edited by JeffroK -- 8/18/2018 9:50:41 PM >

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/20/2018 2:16:22 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

I wouldn't think so, actually. It depends on what hits there, and what it does to the rounds.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 7
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/20/2018 11:29:38 AM   
LeeChard

As I understand it damaged rounds tend to burn fiercely not explode.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 8
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/20/2018 4:09:06 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Would they remain on station in case of surface combat? asking about the scenario of no aircraft spotted

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 9
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/20/2018 4:36:19 PM   
witpqs

This photo confuses me too. I had been led to understand those 40 mm mounts two trainers who worked together: one controlled azimuth while the other controlled elevation. And that the trigger is at least one of the foot pedals. Why is one trainer standing up while a round seemingly has just left one of the four barrels and that barrel's mate has fired just prior (notice it has recoiled)? Is this a picture of some training? Is it a staged picture?

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 10
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/20/2018 5:50:22 PM   
adarbrauner

Such a famous picture, arguably the most famous depicting the naval 40 mm and naval AA in general ;Well witpqs I think the gun mount is remote centrally controlled; the gun chiefs-directors shown in the picture are there for reserve in case of malfunctioning, and to supervise the loading crew as well

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 11
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/20/2018 6:02:00 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Is this a picture of some training? Is it a staged picture?

I was kinda wondering the same thing, but that's a lot of empty shell casings down in front for training. No?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 12
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/20/2018 6:14:09 PM   
MakeeLearn

"Task Force 58 raid on Japan. 40mm guns firing aboard USS HORNET on 16 February 1945, as the carrier’s planes were raiding Tokyo. Note expended shells and ready-service ammunition at right. February 1945. Photo by Lt. Comdr. Charles Kerlee. (Navy) – Note the shells on ground."

"Before turning to photography, Charles Kerlee worked in the film industry. By the time Edward Steichen recruited him to be one of the official war photographers for the United States Navy, Kerlee was one of the best-known and most successful commercial photographers in the United States. His assignment during WWII was to document the USS Yorktown and the men on board. Not only capturing moments in the air, Kerlee also photographed everyday moments, including those rare moments of downtime."

"Gunnery practice with 40-mm Bofors MK 12 anti-aircraft guns aboard Hornet while her aircraft raided Japan, 16 February 1945."

They look too relaxed to be under actual attack.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 8/20/2018 6:23:24 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 13
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/20/2018 6:31:49 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

I cant see anyone holding a steel bar, someone is holding onto a piece of "frame", maybe there to stop them falling off the mount.

As its a quad 40mm, maybe there are 2 sets of pedals and the pointer and trainer take it in turns to "drive" the mount.

The gun captain is the guy in the middle with the headphones.

USS Callaway was APA 35 after originally being numbered AP 80

Jeff...You are correct regarding the number of Al's ship.

I never said Al was in this pic. I was relaying personal info he had been kind enough to impart on me.
When vets of that war ever told me their stories, I was eager to listen.

Most combat vets I ever knew would never discuss such matters...except with fellow combat veterans.
Once I joined that "private club"...I never took those moments for granted.
Perhaps I should have taken notes.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 14
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/20/2018 6:52:34 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Elevation of 5" gun tubes is another giveaway

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 15
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/21/2018 5:12:09 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Such a famous picture, arguably the most famous depicting the naval 40 mm and naval AA in general ;Well witpqs I think the gun mount is remote centrally controlled; the gun chiefs-directors shown in the picture are there for reserve in case of malfunctioning, and to supervise the loading crew as well

Then why is the right pair of guns on the mount not firing?

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 16
RE: Nice WITP theater ship info - 8/21/2018 5:13:03 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

"Task Force 58 raid on Japan. 40mm guns firing aboard USS HORNET on 16 February 1945, as the carrier’s planes were raiding Tokyo. Note expended shells and ready-service ammunition at right. February 1945. Photo by Lt. Comdr. Charles Kerlee. (Navy) – Note the shells on ground."

"Before turning to photography, Charles Kerlee worked in the film industry. By the time Edward Steichen recruited him to be one of the official war photographers for the United States Navy, Kerlee was one of the best-known and most successful commercial photographers in the United States. His assignment during WWII was to document the USS Yorktown and the men on board. Not only capturing moments in the air, Kerlee also photographed everyday moments, including those rare moments of downtime."

"Gunnery practice with 40-mm Bofors MK 12 anti-aircraft guns aboard Hornet while her aircraft raided Japan, 16 February 1945."

Thank you! That makes more sense.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Nice WITP theater ship info Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI