Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/15/2018 5:13:57 PM   
dasboot1960

Turns out - there is a master list of upgrade dates... kind of. Tracker identifies 'overdue upgrades' which, if checked at the first of the month is almost timely

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to Veloz)
Post #: 91
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/15/2018 5:42:26 PM   
dasboot1960

And another thing... It just occurred to me as I'm transferring all these Heroes of the Empire to TRACOM. When is it enough? and when should I consider reactivating these guys? I'm assuming the answer to #2 is 'when you get killer planes', so really only #1 applies, I'm assuming that after 200 or more are transferred into TRACOM it might be OK to bring some back into action... anybody really thought about this?

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to dasboot1960)
Post #: 92
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/15/2018 5:56:23 PM   
dasboot1960

Damn... the deeper I go, the more I love it.

Down like a CLOWN!

Post #: 93
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/17/2018 8:56:00 PM   
rustysi

I don't use tracker, but....

quote:

transferring all these Heroes of the Empire to TRACOM. When is it enough?

I don't send every TRACOM pilot to the pool. I leave a certain amount in the field. That being said I would then keep sending all others to the pool, no matter how large it gets. At least until I have my late war aircraft, or there was a real need.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 94
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/18/2018 6:20:49 PM   
dasboot1960

Thanks rustysi, it is still only 1/42, so I've taken the approach to send all I can at least for awhile, I've got a lot of 79-80 guys, and lots of units training. I could use some more LR flying boat units... they are platinum.

and another thing! Really this is an advisory for others new to The Empire. Just because the message says '1 vp lost for inadequate garrison at XYZ' Doesn't mean there isn't damage also being done to the bases. MY GOD! I screwed up at Nanking, for about a week, with another week to fix the garrison... the place looks like it got firebombed!

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 95
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/18/2018 9:25:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dasboot1960

Thanks rustysi, it is still only 1/42, so I've taken the approach to send all I can at least for awhile, I've got a lot of 79-80 guys, and lots of units training. I could use some more LR flying boat units... they are platinum.

and another thing! Really this is an advisory for others new to The Empire. Just because the message says '1 vp lost for inadequate garrison at XYZ' Doesn't mean there isn't damage also being done to the bases. MY GOD! I screwed up at Nanking, for about a week, with another week to fix the garrison... the place looks like it got firebombed!

One of my (few) complaints about the game - a single partisan attack during the night can wreck a Level 10 concrete runway!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 96
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/19/2018 5:30:02 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I could use some more LR flying boat units... they are platinum.

Well ya ain't gonna get 'em. Welcome to the 'dark side'. Not many anyway, just another thing Japan could use more of...

quote:

MY GOD! I screwed up at Nanking, for about a week, with another week to fix the garrison... the place looks like it got firebombed!

Yeah, don't leave those sites ungarrisoned/under-garrisoned for long. I've gotten away with a point or two less for a while, but more than that is asking for trouble. Especially at bases where there's lots to destroy.

quote:

One of my (few) complaints about the game - a single partisan attack during the night can wreck a Level 10 concrete runway!

I feel your pain, but you know it is what it is, and that's on you. Maybe the Dev's intended it that way so you will in fact keep a proper garrison in place rather than ignoring it.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 97
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/19/2018 9:51:29 PM   
dasboot1960

I'd cut their heads off... but it's mine.

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 98
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/19/2018 10:55:23 PM   
BillBrown

It started out much worse, partisan attacks would also damage industry( oil, refineries, resources, etc. )

Post #: 99
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/26/2018 9:19:03 PM   
dasboot1960

ARGH!!! Friendly units engaged for some time now on the 'enemy' side of a river (I crossed into the hex). Somewhere I thought I read that once I was across, follow on units would not have to attack (and suffer those losses) to cross. Did I misread? This happened in Nanning, I had a regiment across and holding their own. I just brought up another regiment from Hanoi, but they lost 100 squads entering the hex, perhaps because I did this in movement mode? (I thought I had a 'rear' area in the contested hex, and thus could cross without penalty). I'm tooo sloppy, and it's starting to hurt!

< Message edited by dasboot1960 -- 9/26/2018 9:20:43 PM >

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 100
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/26/2018 9:36:21 PM   
btd64

Nope. Every unit that crosses a river into a contested hex has a shock attack....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DW Series-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 101
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/26/2018 9:49:15 PM   
BillBrown

This quote:

This topic still seems to generate problems. Here goes from what I've learned and discussed in the past.

The initial crossing of a river into an enemy controlled hex will initiate a shock attack through that hex side. Additional crossings into that hex through another hex side will also initiate another shock attack.

To avoid follow up troops shock attacking across a hex side already passed through at least 1/3 of the unadjusted AV value of the defender must have crossed that particular hex side by the attacker during the initial assault. So, if the defender has an unadjusted AV of 450, the attacker must use at least 150 AV in the initial crossing for follow up troops to cross freely across the same hex side. Anything less than 150 AV would require further shock attacks until the 1/3 rule is met. If a different hex side is used, all bets are off and the attacker must shock attack and again meet the 1/3 rule for successive forces to cross freely.

I admit I do not fully understand the mechanics of reinforcing a friendly hex that is being contested across a river hex side. My guess is if the hex side is controlled by the defender the move should not generate a shock attack.

I hope this helps.

from this thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3319410&mpage=1&key=river%2Ccrossing�

Should provide some insight into what happens.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 102
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 9/27/2018 9:03:37 PM   
dasboot1960

Thank You both! So I've done some reading and paged through my (growing) note book. I read where 'the top unit' will bear the brunt of the attack. I am assuming this to be first on the left at the bottom of the page. Is there a way to adjust this? Thank goodness I asked before I had a major disaster at Singapore!

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 103
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/2/2018 8:41:24 PM   
dasboot1960

By way of answering myself, Obviously the unit being 'followed' would be the top unit, now wouldn't it?

AND NOW... for something totally different, I'm looking at my industry screen, everything is 'off' except aircraft production. I the middle of the screen, just to the right of the column (in white) that indicates factory status, there is a column headed 'Failed'. My Jake factory has a big red 'X' in that column. Tracker indicates I'm building 35 a turn, the engine is common enough, I even have 3 engines in the pool plenty of supplies in the hex... Can anyone educate me on the red X?

Here I'd like to thank my lucky stars that I have a wife who seems perfectly happy to occupy herself with her own interests while I sink so much time into this game. May it ever be so!

Down like a CLOWN!

Post #: 104
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/2/2018 8:45:39 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Here I'd like to thank my lucky stars that I have a wife who seems perfectly happy to occupy herself with her own interests while I sink so much time into this game. May it ever be so!

Post #: 105
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/2/2018 8:53:23 PM   
rustysi

quote:

AND NOW... for something totally different, I'm looking at my industry screen, everything is 'off' except aircraft production. I the middle of the screen, just to the right of the column (in white) that indicates factory status, there is a column headed 'Failed'. My Jake factory has a big red 'X' in that column. Tracker indicates I'm building 35 a turn, the engine is common enough, I even have 3 engines in the pool plenty of supplies in the hex... Can anyone educate me on the red X?

Mayday, mayday... Dive, dive... Woop, woop, woop. Things have definitely gone south!!!!

A red 'X' means something isn't doing as it should. Red is never good. You're building 35 a day of what? I hope its not Jake's, that's way off the charts. And three engines are well three engines. That's just three planes, or one-and-a-half if it needs two engines.

Based on what your saying I'd say you're in some kind of serious trouble here. Exactly what is difficult to say w/o further info. Some screen shots would probably help.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 106
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/3/2018 10:34:11 PM   
dasboot1960

oops... 35 a MONTH of Jakes (1.17 a day or so)It is the only red X, I'm in Jan42 and still short 699 oil centers a turn, but all else is climbing, some more than others, but all in the green. In any case, I just ran my latest turn, and the dreaded red X is gone (phew!, I guess....) Thanks for looking in on me rustysi, I am tracking the engine numbers, but haven't built up much of any pools yet. My mistakes are myriad, especially in China, where I disrespected what a PITA they can be, but I am now consolidating my divisions again. It does appear inevitable that there will be 'death stars' roaming here and there. I also have been too risky with early invasions, but have gained good ground and bases from it. I'm pretty sure I've driven my subs too hard, but with some good sinkings… hell I don't know. My oppo is in his first game, and this is my first as the emperor. I shudder to think what may fall on my head down the road.

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 107
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/3/2018 10:34:23 PM   
dasboot1960

(deleted double-post here)

< Message edited by dasboot1960 -- 10/3/2018 10:36:25 PM >

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 108
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/4/2018 6:11:09 PM   
rustysi

quote:

35 a MONTH of Jakes (1.17 a day or so)

OK, but if you expand your float planes the way I and others do, 90/month would be better. I've done it since day one and am in Feb. '43 and only have ~35 Jake's in the pool. I still have abut 6-8 groups to convert. There're of course others that believe its insane to do so.

quote:

My mistakes are myriad

Don't feel like the 'Lone Stranger', we all make tons of mistakes with this monster.

quote:

I also have been too risky with early invasions

Didn't know there was such a thing with Japan in the early game. Could be some, but you need to act fast and take risks.

Remember, just have fun. Its only a waste of time if you don't enjoy yourself.

Post #: 109
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/5/2018 1:59:24 AM   
dasboot1960

thanks for the tip I will bump the Jakes up. I followed (Krulls?) guide for first turn but found several more float plane units I could resize, and still have some more kates and vals, but it may be a bit 'till I get a big CV back to IJ

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 110
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/5/2018 2:03:19 AM   
dasboot1960

Its closing in on Feb42 and I've lost 80 odd ships. Mostly AK AP and the smaller versions, maybe 3 CLs and 6-8 subs; it feels like too much, and I haven't taken Singapore (in progress) or even invaded DEI yet. I think I should've waited in China till I cut the Burma road, or at least not broken down so many IJ divisions...I learned a ton though, and my oppo is still game!

Down like a CLOWN!

Post #: 111
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/6/2018 5:14:55 PM   
dasboot1960

So here I am with my three Unryus accelerated. I believe I have read there is a sweet spot where I need to turn acceleration off or the trade becomes exorbitant. I've searched in here with keywords to no avail (but many distracting other subjects. Any straight forward 'turn em of here' advice?

Down like a CLOWN!

Post #: 112
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/6/2018 6:37:14 PM   
rustysi

quote:

found several more float plane units I could resize

There're really lots of them. Most that are assigned to your AV type ships may be resized. Some of your CA's actually have two 'float groups' onboard, I take one off and resize the other to fit the ship, then resize the second to 24.

quote:

and still have some more kates and vals, but it may be a bit 'till I get a big CV back to IJ

Or you could bring Mohammad to the mountain. IOW bring the Kate's and Val's to the CV, either through air hops, or by merchie.

quote:

Its closing in on Feb42 and I've lost 80 odd ships.
quote:

it feels like too much

Against a live opponent doesn't sound too bad, especially since you've lost nothing major.

quote:

I haven't taken Singapore (in progress) or even invaded DEI yet

You don't need Singers early, you do need Palembang. Get in there and get it asap. Don't recall how you started the game, but even in an historical start, you should have Palembang by around mid Feb. '42.

quote:

So here I am with my three Unryus accelerated. I believe I have read there is a sweet spot where I need to turn acceleration off or the trade becomes exorbitant.

The 'sweet spot' you're referring to is the point where the rate for advance triples. IIRC you multiply the durability of the ship by 10 and that's the number of days from completion that the multiplier kicks in. Makes advancement pretty expensive.

Post #: 113
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/7/2018 10:54:07 PM   
dasboot1960

Thank you rustysi! I have plans for Palembang, but I'm in the thick of it at Singapore right now. I took Oosthaven to get a blockade airbase going, but I only have a battalion marching on Palembang, not enough my plan is to take forces from Borneo, but I didn't achieve expected kills/surrenders, so I can't really spare them yet. I've got a similar but better developed situation on the other side by taking Denpasar where most of my paras are some maybe there, or I have one para I've been eyeballing Pt Blair with, maybe I'll delay that.

Thanks for the tune up on ship production, I'll have to get out my Abacus.

Cheers!

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 114
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/9/2018 9:40:56 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I took Oosthaven to get a blockade airbase going,
quote:

I've got a similar but better developed situation on the other side by taking Denpasar

Lot's of people here who advocate doing such things. I'm more of a blunt instrument type.

Load up and head right up the river to Palembang. Need the right mix of TF's. Against the AI I usually find a bunch of PT's at the location, for which my answer is a bunch of Japanese boats that're just a bit larger. DD's or those Torpedo boats that'll convert to nice escorts a bit later on. Put some mine sweepers in the invasion TF as well, in case some have been dropped to protect the port. Don't naval bombard, as such attacks may damage infrastructure at the local. Instead put some good CA's in the invasion TF to 'open the way'. Remember large vessels, including BB's won't get up the river.

As for Java, I just pick a spot and go right in, there are several to chose from. Don't like to waste time with what are essentially secondary objectives. I use my navy to stop any exodus, and as for what may get away, does it really matter that much. The Allies have plenty of everything and sinking a few more ships is just a few more VP's that probably won't amount to much.

Keep your eye on the prize. Its all about the resources and production sites.

Anyway, JMHO. YMMV.

Post #: 115
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/12/2018 9:39:23 PM   
dasboot1960

thanks rustysi - I'm starting to feel like this is a private channel. I've already bombarded Palembang several times with cruiser forces, and gotten the odd 'extra prize in port". Not much shipping going out of DEI now, I've swept through with a couple CV TFs. Oppo lost Lex and Enterprise early, so I have been able to break down and spread the joy/terror. Waiting on his return for 1-27-42 now with a AMPH TF set to go right up the river, but I'm probably still light on overall ground force...Running wild east of Australia, but I need to do more out towards Ceylon/India

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 116
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/12/2018 9:43:31 PM   
dasboot1960

< Message edited by dasboot1960 -- 10/13/2018 1:56:03 PM >

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 117
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/14/2018 4:33:15 PM   
dasboot1960

So... now I'm looking for a means to cover some of the mini-garrisons (10s & 20s)most units can't break down far enough. The best I've come up with so far is air lifting in fragments (if airbase)or shipping in same (if port). Unfortunately, this isn't really viable in China (restricted units)of Thailand (lack of units in general, plus they're restricted). I often miss the obvious... any cool little tricks out there?

rustysi - Palembang - I SEE

Down like a CLOWN!

Post #: 118
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/14/2018 4:33:41 PM   
dasboot1960

another double-up

< Message edited by dasboot1960 -- 10/14/2018 4:34:32 PM >

Down like a CLOWN!

Post #: 119
RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR - 10/14/2018 4:39:03 PM   
dasboot1960

And another thing! If I go to the industry screen turn on only 'aircraft, I have a red 'X' in the failed column at my Jake factory. Second time I have seen this happen. I'ts not a rare engine, no factory damage, over 15k supply in hex. Any ideas? Thanks to all!

Down like a CLOWN!

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: "Continuing Chaos" - This is not an AAR Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI