Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/16/2018 8:24:02 PM   
larryfulkerson

I don't have enough monster games going yet so Jorge volunteered to play me in a game of PAW and I'm the Japs and Jorge is the Allies and I've already started the game. I'm doing CSV moves as a priority since the turns are short. And then comes the FITE moves since Ian and I started that game next in the line of games. And then PAW that has just started. I figure I can do about two turns per week of each game. That's my goal. I hope nobody is in a hurry.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/16/2018 8:25:00 PM >

if the human race ever does get to be space fairing and be able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.
Post #: 1
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/16/2018 9:56:12 PM   
larryfulkerson

I used a subchaser to go around looking for open ports and I found one at Laoog and moved some troops there: the Kanno Rgt, the Tanaka Rgt, and the 65th Independent Brigade. They have spread out on the PI and I need more landings yet; some on the east side of the PI.

Attachment (1)

if the human race ever does get to be space fairing and be able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/16/2018 10:38:46 PM   
larryfulkerson

I found some more open ports so I invaded with some more troops and I'm getting ashore and spreading out and taking up good positions to defend. Just in case Jorge gets adventuresome.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/17/2018 2:44:34 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on in the south of China right now. I've got troops marching north along the roads and rails to get to the cities they lead to. Supply levels are low already.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/17/2018 3:33:47 AM   
larryfulkerson

I didn't bring enough ships to my mission to clear Manila's harbor. I evaporated the Ft. Drum CD guns unit on Corregidor but it cost me a CA and some damage to other boats in the group. And I still have to face what Allied ships are in the harbor. I see what appears to be a CA group and perhaps a CL or DD group and I've got two BB's so that ought to do it. But that's what I said about Ft Drum too. It doesn't bode well.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/17/2018 3:34:41 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/17/2018 3:41:39 AM   
larryfulkerson

Okay, I scooted further into the harbor and my BB's, with a range of 3 didn't fire until I was 2 hexes away so that means the Allied ships shot first and my counter volley sank both of them. They got some hits on one or more DD's but I think I may have some replacements for that. There may be more ships to sink yet. I need to drive closer to the Manila hex.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/17/2018 5:03:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the results of the three-dot Pearl Harbor Strike, and as you can see there were only 4 BB's in that hex and there must be another hex that has the rest of his capital ships and now I need to decide if I want to do another Pearl Strike or not. I'm going to have to think about that. The air shock would still apply. No Allied aircraft flew....does that mean they are all on "rest" or bad weather over the runway or low morale and failed a check or something.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/17/2018 6:12:57 AM   
larryfulkerson

I did an three-dot amphibious assault on Lingayen and forced my way ashore so that I'm cutting off the retreat of a Phillippine division I believe it is. I'm pretty sure I'm sitting on a supply source now but I could be wrong. I need to get Manila soonest so I'm planning on taking the entire division with me for that task.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/17/2018 6:13:18 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/18/2018 8:58:18 AM   
jarraya

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Here's the results of the three-dot Pearl Harbor Strike, and as you can see there were only 4 BB's in that hex and there must be another hex that has the rest of his capital ships and now I need to decide if I want to do another Pearl Strike or not. I'm going to have to think about that. The air shock would still apply. No Allied aircraft flew....does that mean they are all on "rest" or bad weather over the runway or low morale and failed a check or something.

Larry it looks like there were 8 BBs there, 2 of each class. Or am I reading it wrong?

Post #: 9
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/18/2018 12:59:07 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jarraya
quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Larry it looks like there were 8 BBs there, 2 of each class. Or am I reading it wrong?

That's entirely possible, but I didn't check out the enemy units very much so I don't have any proof one way or the other.
I know that some of the CV's have two CV's in the unit to hold the fighters and the bombers both simultaneously. But whether or not the BB's were pairs too I'm not sure. I'll have to check that out and get back to you.

(in reply to jarraya)
Post #: 10
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/19/2018 10:22:16 AM   
jarraya

Larry are you going to apply the rule that your carriers need to return to Japan after the Pearl Harbor strike?

Post #: 11
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/19/2018 12:29:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Larry are you going to apply the rule that your carriers need to return to Japan after the Pearl Harbor strike?

But yes.

(in reply to jarraya)
Post #: 12
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/19/2018 6:38:14 PM   
jarraya

Larry, here it is. You got all 8 BB's at Pearl Harbor.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/19/2018 6:52:12 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Larry, here it is. You got all 8 BB's at Pearl Harbor.

I was wondering where all they were.

(in reply to jarraya)
Post #: 14
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 12:32:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is the Hanoi area right now. I don't intend to go much further north in this area because there's so few roads and

rails. No way to supply my units out in the middle of the jungle. I'm going to try to work my way up the road next to the

river and see if I can't cut off the flow of supply coming from India.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 12:39:56 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've gotten a unit up to the bridge NNE of Kwellin and I dropped it to impead the flow of Chinese headed this way

from Mongolia via the rails. I'm surprised they aren't here already. I can repair the bridge later, when I need

it, but right now I need it dropped. I can see the need for more troops in this area.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/20/2018 12:41:01 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 12:53:07 AM   
larryfulkerson

The 6th Infantry Division has the mission of protecting and repairing the section of rail that passes from the north

bridge to the south bridge. Others are responsible for the rest of the rails. So the 6th div elements on the west side

bridge are trying to eject the communists from the bridge itself so that the Japs can place their man on the bridge and

repair it in case the commies blow the bridge anytime soon. I'm going to need some CS for this job I believe. I'll fly

some more planes in and dedicate them to this mission.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 1:11:51 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what the Phillippines looks like now. I've cornered some partisans in the north country and the group near

Legaspi haven't been moved yet; I'm hoping to get one of them to the RR heading north from Legaspi to block it. I

need some people to land in the south of the island to stop migration of targets. Grab all the ports, that's my goal.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/20/2018 1:12:11 AM >

Post #: 18
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 2:08:09 AM   
larryfulkerson

I sent the HQ unit on ahead of the armor just for a lark, just to be risky, and I captured Palembang without a

fight. I'm guessing it was never garrisoned. I've got a division working on Balikpapan even as we speak. I drove

by Tarakan but there were no open ports. I've got some Allied company near Singapore in the form of a "Heavy Naval"

unit sitting in the water. I've got to dispatch one or more of my BB's to go check that out.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 2:18:24 AM   
larryfulkerson

I was driving my subchaser around Sumatra converting open ports and I noticed some Commonwealth ships to my west,

sorties from Ceylon I guess. I've got to rid myself of that threat to my landings at Jakarta by driving some

carriers out there and sinking those ships. Either that or some exciting drama with surface ships. I've got some

Bettys at Bangkok that probably has them within range already and I can probably get rid of them without any

major intervention needed.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 2:24:06 AM   
larryfulkerson

I did a "close" and then chose "save and close" and the game engine wrote a SAL file to my hard disk and I zipped it up and attached it here below just in case you guys wanted an indepth look at the game. Review the reports and dialogs and take a look at the units, move some of them around maybe. I used the password "password" without the quotes on the challenge if you need it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 5:43:54 AM   
larryfulkerson

I had about 784 sea lift left so I thought I'd spend it on moving a special naval landing force to Rabaul and landing there. I've seen some Allied troop transports so I'm pretty sure there's units headed this way.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 1:08:32 PM   
jarraya

I have a new move from Larry and before I even open it, here are some thoughts on my side of the game. I'll try not to give too much away in terms of strategy, and of course to anyone reading this AAR please give me some help! I'm up against Larry, I've never played this scenario before, I know NOTHING about the Pacific campaign and I have no idea how the naval system works in TOAW.

Aside from the destruction of my BBs in Hawaii, Turn 0 and 1 was basically Larry pouring his troops all over the map in mostly unhindered amphibious landings. Some islands I don't even know the name of, so I'm still getting to grips with the gigantic map. Hell, it takes me a minute to scroll across from one end to the other. One thing I've noticed is it's very difficult to play this one by moving units in OOB order. The OOB jumps from China to Malay to Australia and then back to China, the problem being that by the time I get back to China I've forgotten what I was trying to do there! So I'm having to plan my moves by mini-theatres, and I'm thinking that the best way to do this is by dividing the map as the Allies did during the war. I haven't yet decided on the best way to eat this elephant - again, any advice is appreciated.

I have the basis of a plan, but it relies quite heavily on understanding how the naval system works. I've made some moves with my ships, and I find sometimes that they just disappear. I'm guessing they were killed by aircraft, but I have no idea. And other times I approach a group of ships and mine take damage but I have no idea if I caused any damage to him. Kind of weird. I'm also not sure what a Sea Interdiction mission does for planes. If they are set to this mission, does that mean that they are unable to defend themselves against fighters? After all, most fighter-bombers of the era became fighters after dropping their bombs! Help anyone?

The reason I need to get to grips with the system quickly is because my plan, like the Allies, relies heavily on my carriers.

1) control of the seas - ie kill the carriers. Early plan is to hunt down his carriers with mine. I'm not going to use the BBs for land support just yet.
2) Bomb strategic targets in Japan. I want to get the airbases that give me the range to bomb Japan as early as possible. TOAW supply is nothing like real life, so as long as the Japanese control supply points they get everything (includes unlimited supply of fuel and oil), so I need to hurt his supply ASAP.
3) Aggressive and overwhelming amphibious assaults - land on the islands I want to take with a lot of forces and take them quickly. Attrition is the enemy here because supply is gonna by an issue.
4) Eventually land in Japan - I want to take Japan.

I don't yet know how I am going to use my land forces, and I need to see what air assets I have available. I think the first turns will be just trying not to bleed too much whilst causing casualties. He's gonna grab some of the key islands, I have no choice there.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jarraya -- 7/20/2018 1:16:48 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 3:21:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I'm up against Larry,

I don't consider myself an expert, maybe just pretty good. I haven't worn a game in quite a while. Ian keeps wiping the floor with me.

quote:

...I've never played this scenario before,

It takes some getting used to I admit. And it's not easy to get from one spot to another if it's a far piece away. I zoom up and move the map and then zoom in again.

quote:

...I know NOTHING about the Pacific campaign

It's fairly straight forward actually. You need to get your bombers within range of Tokyo, well, the home island cities, and bomb the Industry there. To get the bases you need for that you're going to have to island hop ever closer to Tokyo with each hop. You'll have to support each hop with your planes and your ships. It's important to provide support for each hop. Bring overwhelming force and use the carriers to give a CAP until you can fly some LBA into the AO.

quote:

...and I have no idea how the naval system works in TOAW.

It's not all that hard actually. I'll post something to show how it works.
EDIT: AS a matter of fact there's an article that covers Naval Warfare. Here's the link:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4292790

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/20/2018 3:24:11 PM >

(in reply to jarraya)
Post #: 24
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/20/2018 5:48:22 PM   
hingram

Allies: One possible strategy might be to do nothing until your forces build up enough to make some moves. You have to defend Hawaii, India and Australia and that's about it. In the meantime, keep your air asset ranges close to home. Make the Japanese extend themselves and come to you. Your bombers have very little to do in the early times.

Don't make the mistake that we did in WW2 and waste assets on targets that don't mean much.

Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.

Post #: 25
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/21/2018 10:42:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what Bangkok looks like now. The Japs are meeting the Indian divisions and we're fighting over the rail line. I'm trying to repair it as the front moves south slowly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to hingram)
Post #: 26
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/21/2018 6:15:05 PM   
Cfant

@devon: about disappearing ships: If your ships were intercepted by air or sea it is shown at the combat report. Just look there. One more thing: Look in the editor, if the naval attrition divider is set to 0. If this is the case, your ships will most likely become oneshot-killed if entering the combat range of an enemy naval unit of equal range.

Even if not - if you swim into the larger range of an enemy, your ships may be sunk without beeing able to return fire. So move with caution!

Post #: 27
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/22/2018 1:12:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

I flew some paratroops up to the Burma road intersection where it crosses the major river and broke the bridge and now they are headed west for some more bridges yet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 28
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/22/2018 2:20:39 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what the PI looks like now. I've cornered a partisan in the valley and I'm going to surround it and kill it. The rest of the troops are fighting their way to Manila and my BB's turned yellow so they need some rest and the other ships are just CA's and CL's and they don't throw much of a shell when it comes to bombardment. I've driven the BB's over to Cam Ranh Bay to rest and they should be ready to go in a couple of turns. I've got more divisions in the home islands ready to sail down here to the PI and land somewhere but I'm not sure it would help as much as them landing somewhere else. Like Balikpapan or Tarakan. I've got about 35K of sea lift cap. left and there's at least 5 divisions in the home islands ready to sail, I just need a good target for them.

I've watched the playback and I saw some Allied troops being sailed into the New Caledonia area recently. I've got to start populating the New Ireland group before the Allies get there first.

I've also got Java and Sumatra to sundue yet. And I haven't even started landing in Borneo where there's the refinery at Miri and the refineries at Balikpapan and Tarakan.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/22/2018 4:53:43 AM >

Post #: 29
RE: Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs - 7/22/2018 4:16:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

I thought it might be advantageous to repair the railroad from Manila to Legaspi just to help the supply flow to the rest of the island. I brought in three new engineer units to help with the repairs. They are Naval engineers and they will come in handy for the eventual takedown of Manila.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Pacific at War v.3.63 Jorge Allied Larry Japs Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI