Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ethiopia 1936

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Ethiopia 1936 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ethiopia 1936 - 7/10/2018 7:42:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

Ethiopia 1935
October 03, 1935,

Italian army of 109 units opposed to Ethiopia army of 90 units
for a battle of complexity 0.96 at Brigade(X) level
on a 50 Km/Hex map
for 36 turns of Full Week each.

by C.D. Comars submited on 17-11-2002

Rugged-Defense Playing Statistics

Download (current version (total) )
Links Vol I Vol II WotY CoW (25 KB) Vol III
Downloaded ( 0 ) ( 0 ) ( 0 ) ( 378 ) 0 ( 0 )
If you like this scenario, vote for it:

Briefing

Ethiopia 1936
Scale: Regiment/Brigade
One week turns, 50 km per hex
Unit Colours
Italian
Metropolitan Troops - Various on Tan
Blackshirts - White on Black
Libyan - Black on Green
African Auxiliaries - Various on Brown
Azibo Galla - Black on Red
Ethiopian
Imperial Guard - Black and Yellow on Blue
Local levies - Various
French - Black on Light Blue
Events
There is a high probability that the Italians will use Mustard Gas.
The League of Nations may condemn Italian aggression. If so then...
The British and French may place sanctions on Italy.
Britain may close the Suez Canal to Italian shipping.
Both of these events will impact the Italian supply situation.
France may intervene with the Djibuti garrison triggering a Cease Fire if the Ethiopians can last longer then historically.
Ethiopia will probably surrender if Addis Ababa falls
Look out for the Rainy Season!
Italian dictator Benito Mussolini looked to incorporate Ethiopia into the Italian Empire. The Italian sandbox colonies of Somalia and Eritrea flanked Ethiopia from the Southeast and Northeast respectively and Ethiopia was one of only a handful of independent African nations. Using the thin pretext of a border incident near the village of Wal Wal as a pretext, the Italians launched the largest mechanised army Africa had ever seen against the backward and feudal Ethiopian Empire of Haile Selassie.
The hetrogenious collection of Ras's (Prince's) mostly rallied behind the Emperor and the poorly equipped peasants fought with unexpected warrior spirit forcing the Italians to use large quantities of mustard gas. The League of Nations dithered and did nothing substantive and in May 1936 the Italians occupied Addis Ababa, ending organized resistance. Naked aggression by a European facist state had been allowed to stand, a point not lost on Adolf Hitler in Germany.
Scenario by C.D. Comars
(random@island.net)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/10/2018 7:48:37 PM >

if the human race ever does get to be space fairing and be able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.
Post #: 1
RE: Ethiopia 1936 - 10/29/2018 7:59:19 PM   
GenObt_H_Guderian

Hello, I'm just a TOAW newbie who's giving a look around in search for scenarios to add.
Your scenario caught me while passing by since I'm particularly interested into the conflict portrayed but I have to say I have noticed a few not so little mistakes. Namely the extension of the use of mustard gas by Italy and the organization and equipment of Ethiopian Army.

First off the use of gas by Italy was definitely not massive. Infact it was used in just a couple of occasions during the end of the campaign in a circumscribed and limited way to jeopardize Ethiopian offensives and dissuade them from proceeding further with their attacks.
Unless you're portraying some sort of alternate history you should put heavy restrictions on gas usage to try and simulate its limited use for exclusively defensive operations. Another good reason to limit the gas usage is that simply put no Italian ground unit was equipped with anti-gas equipment for the Ethiopian Campaign, should a massive use of gas take place Italian troops would suffer perhaps even more losses than Ethiopians.
If you still would like to portray such a scenario I suggest to eventually add a Theatre Option to activate on Turn 1 for Italy which considers the possibility of giving troops anti-gas equipment and employing gas in an unrestricted fashion. To balance this you could automatically give Ethiopia a considerable amount of VPs once the option is activated, if it's activated.

Secondly, this isn't 1800, while yes Ethiopia was a backwards State (by European standards) the Ethiopian Army wasn't at all an army of "poorly equipped peasants" as you put it but it was a professional to semi-professional army made of many elite elements who aren't foreign to war since, due to the Ethiopian feudal system, civil conflicts between various Ras were fairly common. Not only that but by 1936 the Ethiopian Army is almost completely equipped and trained in a Western way since Russians, French and British advisors and trainers are present on the Country as far as mid XIX century.
Among the various Western weaponry they have access to they also made widespread use of lethal hollow-point (dumdum) bullets (officially forbidden by The Hague Convention of 1899), you could represent that by buffing a little the defensive and offensive values of Ethiopian units.

Lastly, it doesn't concern the scenario per se but it's fair to point it out so you may eventually fix it even on the scenario readme. You say "Using the thin pretext of a border incident near the village of Wal Wal" while describing the Ethiopian attack at Fort Ual Ual. In truth it hardly was a pretext since not only Ethiopians fired shots and killed 21 Italian Somali soldiers when no state of war existed between the two Countries but it wasn't even the first time Ethiopians sent bands of raiders with Fitaurari in command to pass the border and harass garrisons at Fort Ual Ual but also in other "hot points" along the Italo-Ethiopian border. Few months before the incident, precisely in July 1934 an Italian officer was killed in Ual Ual by a band of rebels and raiders commanded by Ethiopian Fitaurari with the intention of occupying some of the oil wells near the town.
So the Ual Ual Incident wasn't a "thin pretext", it was just the biggest of a series of aggressions against Italian and Somali troops. The sparkle that ignited the fuse so to speak.

< Message edited by GenObt_H_Guderian -- 10/29/2018 8:04:09 PM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: Ethiopia 1936 - 10/29/2018 8:32:05 PM   
Cabido

Nice read, but I think Larry just make existing scenarios available. There are hundreds of them from previous versions of TOAW. It would be nice if people well informed of the historical facts improved this kind of scenario. I just love the scenarios that are rich in historical background information (not all of them are). Perhaps you could try to contact the original designer and ask for permission to tweak it. Or make one yourself, since you have a particular interest into this conflict.

(in reply to GenObt_H_Guderian)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Ethiopia 1936 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI