Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can someone explain the Submarine Towed Array?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Can someone explain the Submarine Towed Array? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can someone explain the Submarine Towed Array? - 6/18/2018 11:10:48 PM   
JOhnnyr

Hello,

I was reading up in the database regarding submarine sensor systems, and it seems the towed array is shown to have a 360 degree arc? I was a bit confused by this, as I would think the area directly in front of the array (ie: ownship) would be considered a blind spot? (So, more like 270 degrees vs 360)

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataSubmarine?ID=137

Additionally, some subs have multiple Towed Array's listed (Los Angles for example, has two: AN/TB-29A & AN/TB-16D) Why is this?

Thank you in advance for the clarification!

< Message edited by JOhnnyr -- 6/18/2018 11:11:30 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Can someone explain the Submarine Towed Array? - 6/19/2018 12:03:24 AM   
dcpollay

One thing about towed arrays....When you drag them on a very long line and are moving slowly, they will drop below the level of your ship, and thus are able to "see" past the towing vessel. I'm not any expert by any means, so I don't know just how effective the forward hearing is, but at least there is some capability there.

As for the multiple towed arrays, US subs, LAs and the Seawolf at least, do have more than one towed array. Why they mounted two different models I don't know. Cost perhaps? The TB-16 is an older model than the TB-29, and may be a cheaper "backup." A sub guy could probably tell better. You can see this modeled in sub simulators like 688i or Dangerous Waters, which have both models available to the player.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 2
RE: Can someone explain the Submarine Towed Array? - 6/19/2018 12:44:16 AM   
JOhnnyr

Thank you for the reply! Can you tell me how the towed array gets around hearing ownship?

Also, it seems in the game both towed arrays are deployed at the same time, which was what confused me?

Additionally, where can I learn the sensor arc, other than baloogan's site? The official DB does not seem to list the information?

For example, on this Kilo:

http://cmano-db.com/submarine/508/

Baloogan lists the sensor arc on the Shark Gill [MGK-400EM Rubikon] as 270, but it doesn't show/say that anywhere on the official DB link.

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataSubmarine?ID=508

EDIT: I realize now that cmano-db.com is not an "official" website, but how can I find out the sensor arc of something? I don't see this information in the game DB, just on baloogan's site (which is often unavailable)

Thanks!

< Message edited by JOhnnyr -- 6/19/2018 3:41:15 AM >

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 3
RE: Can someone explain the Submarine Towed Array? - 6/19/2018 4:48:05 PM   
gbethel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JOhnnyr

Thank you for the reply! Can you tell me how the towed array gets around hearing ownship?

Also, it seems in the game both towed arrays are deployed at the same time, which was what confused me?

Additionally, where can I learn the sensor arc, other than baloogan's site? The official DB does not seem to list the information?

For example, on this Kilo:

http://cmano-db.com/submarine/508/

Baloogan lists the sensor arc on the Shark Gill [MGK-400EM Rubikon] as 270, but it doesn't show/say that anywhere on the official DB link.

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataSubmarine?ID=508

EDIT: I realize now that cmano-db.com is not an "official" website, but how can I find out the sensor arc of something? I don't see this information in the game DB, just on baloogan's site (which is often unavailable)

Thanks!

quote:

Can you tell me how the towed array gets around hearing ownship?

The array will pick up everything that it can. The subs sonar analysis system is able to process-out or scrub the submarine's own sound while it is performing analysis.

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 4
RE: Can someone explain the Submarine Towed Array? - 6/19/2018 9:13:50 PM   
ExNusquam

quote:

ORIGINAL: dcpollay
As for the multiple towed arrays, US subs, LAs and the Seawolf at least, do have more than one towed array. Why they mounted two different models I don't know. Cost perhaps? The TB-16 is an older model than the TB-29, and may be a cheaper "backup." A sub guy could probably tell better. You can see this modeled in sub simulators like 688i or Dangerous Waters, which have both models available to the player.

At least in DW, the higher sensitivity means it washes out at lower speeds. One is better for stealth and the other offers better tactical speeds.

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Can someone explain the Submarine Towed Array? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI