Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria great again!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria great again! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria great ... - 6/11/2018 9:08:15 AM   
Cfant

Hi guys,

Gary made up an AAR to spread fake news and Entente-propaganda. Here is the channel for truth - spoken in name of the Kaiser himself!

What happened so far:

Turn 1 / 1. August 1914:

Belgium: Well, there have been rumors, that Germany had violated Beglian neutrality. In fact it is... ähm... you have to know... well, truth is, that... oh f**k. If we win this war, you all have to kneel before the Kaiser! Yes, we invaded Belgium! And here we go. Liege falls on turn 1 (only one fortress to withstand the German armies).

Gary executes Plan XVII He is quite an honorable opponent and takes it very seriously, over-fullfilling the houserules. Therefore the French are in a bad condition and suffer a lot on...

...Germanys turn 2 / 8. August 1914:

Remembering more on 1941 then 1914, a lot of French divions and even HQs are encircled and destroyed.

You maybe know the German Plan in RL: Russia would need about 40 days to mobilize, peasents as they are, so Germany has 40 days to defeat France and throw everything against the East. What could probably go wrong?

In fact Russia, tricky as they are, mobilized much faster. Austria, living in their own world of Hobbits, Dragons and Austrian military might, got kicked in the ass at Przemysl (Poland) and the Russians even invaded East Prussia. Well, Germany panicked and sent troops to the east, who came to late (Russians got beaten at Tannenberg/Gumbinnen before the fresh troops arrived), but were missed in the Battle of the Marne, where the French, stubborn pack, stopped the German offensive.

Well, here we go: Russian 1. Army ready for action in turn 2!

Turn 3 / 15. August 1914:

Situation at the beginning:

Belgium:

Brussel is in German hands, as is King Albert of Belgium. He will eat Sauerkraut for the rest of the war. First fortresses of Antwerpen taken, but our cavalry screen finds the BEF. This is good news: With the French under pressure and the Belgians beaten, they will stand alone - and have no chance to avoid being encircled by superior German numbers. Maybe our cavalry can lure them deeper into Belgium.

France:

The French front is broken. Their defense lasts on mighty fortresses now - Epinal, Verdun... but will that stopp our advance? No, not as long as we have a tremendous shock-bonus
At the end of the turn, you can see how dangerous the situation is for France. German cavalry, while weak, threatens their supply lines deep into France. More division are knocked out and French casualities must be heavy.

East Prussia:

The Russian 1. Army marches on Gumbinnen. 4 Divisions - but they don't spread out. Well then, always ask yourself: What would Mr. Hindenburg do? Right: Encircly, attack, wipe out. Russian casualities are quite high, about 50.000 men. (about 5.000 squads, I always count one squad as 10 men. Not right for every army/time, but a good rule of thumbs and easy to calculate ). Sadly I run out of movement points. Now the deceisive question is: Is there a second army on the march? If not, the Russian army is doomed - I expect them to be in Reorg next turn.

At the end of the turn, reinforcements are on the way. Sadly to the Russian: They are German reinforcements.

Other notes:

The Goeben has arrived in Istanbul. On the other hand - The Turks have commissioned their warships - seems like Gary tries to keep the Ottomans out of the war as long as possible.
The Emden has quite a short career and runs into some British destroyers. I always preach to my naval units: STAY AWAY FROM THE ROYAL NAVY! But to they listen to me???

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cfant -- 6/11/2018 9:15:34 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 6/14/2018 12:16:27 PM   
Cfant

Sadly an Early Turn Ending stopps the Germans after only one combat turn (failed prof check, so not my fault ) Even more sadly: After the Failed Prof Check you no longer can close+save or scroll - so no screens other then the situation in Belgium after turn 4.

German troops have reached the Atlantic. The BEF is in severe danger, but has double the strength I thought.

A view on the future front in Galicia:

Nice detail: In RL A-H gave its siege-artillery to germany for the siege of Liege. In this scenario this detail is included. Please note the high prof-value of this unit. If only the rest of the Habsburg army had the same...

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 2
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/5/2018 10:19:42 AM   
Cfant

On September, 6th 1914, Belgium is in German hands. Antwerpen fell end of August with 17.000 german and 45.000 belgian casualities. The BEF has retreated and is somehow save. So, so sad. However, Germany is gaining ground, but the troops are out of steam. Picture before first combat round. Had only two, failed prof check again. Reached the outskirts of Amiens. For the history books: An air raid on the Royal Navy failed, two zeppelines were lost.

Quite successful the situation in eastern France. Epinal is taken, Verdun will fall next week. Still 150 kilometers to Paris - bee line, of course Will be interesting, if France and Britain can withstand the German advance from north and east.

Casualities of the first month of war: More then 300.000 men. Enemy casualities are estimated about a million.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 3
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/17/2018 7:29:45 AM   
Cfant

12. September 1914

Northern France

Calais is taken by the 18th InfDivision. Which is out of order after that.

Doesn't matter - the 7th ReserveDiv takes Abbeville without a fight. The BEF is in danger now. Red circles: Harbours I've conquered this turn. Black circle: Last save point for evacuation for the BEF.

Heavy fighting around Bolougne-sur-mer costs 12.500 german and 7.000 allied lifes.

First fight at sea: Entente fleets blockade belgian harbours. The Hochseeflotte attacks and uses its superior range.

Bad day for the french fleet.

Eastern France

Some encirclements are resolved. The german units march west - on to Paris!

Fun fact: In Real life, the germans were much nearer to Paris at this point. But well, loss-rate is 27:103 agains the Entente, so everything is alright.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 4
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/17/2018 7:34:17 AM   
Cfant

Eastern Front

Galicia is calm, only a few skirmishes between A-H and Russia. My opponent divides his cavallry into very small units and crosses the border. It's a pain in the a.., but doesn't damage much.

[B]Colonies[/B]

In Deutsch-Südwest-Afrika we have a landing of South African and French units to relieve their comrades of the first landing wave. The first wave is taking a beating though.

Where do all the South Africans come from? Well, South Africa of course. Funny thing is, my opponent has used ALL troops there. So South Africa is without a single soldier. Result: Praetoria and Cape Town are taken. I'm sure there will be some heads rolling in London this days!

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 5
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/17/2018 10:51:42 PM   
SpicyJuan

Really enjoying this AAR, you're in much better shape then the Germans were historically. I'm not sure how this scenario works but in historical terms if you were able to hold your gains in France for the next year or two (which the Germans in all likelyhood would) you would simply win the war of attrition in the west, winning the war.

How do you feel about your position in the long term?

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 6
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 9:11:56 AM   
Cfant

Sadly the scenario has no system like FitE to simulate the losses in economic power and manpower such a german advance would have cost the French. I doubt France would have survived a beating like this. The French reinforcements appear mostly around Paris. So the loss of land is not deceisive at itself. In this game the French problem is: they got beaten in Belgium AND eastern France. They no longer have an army able to fight the military power of the Germans.

However, it won't play a role here. We are in 3rd of October already and my opponent wrote, he doesn't get any reinforcements to talk about. German troops already have entered Chantilly and there is fighting in Paris. So there are not much plans for the next two years other then to drink champagne and think make party.

(in reply to SpicyJuan)
Post #: 7
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 9:18:44 AM   
Cfant

19. September 1914

Western Front

Northern France

British and French forces retake Abbeville, opening an escape route for the BEF, though the british 4th InfDiv, 3. and 4. CavDiv, the 19th Brigade and die HQs of the Cavalry and the IV Korps are destroyed. As is the French Foreign legion.

[B]Eastern France[/B]

We have a lot of troops there, but wherever fresh french units block the way, we only can go around. The exhausted men can no longer storm fortified positions.

[B]Eastern Front[/B]

My opponent splits up his cavalry and sneaks into the Reich everywhere. Near to an exploit, but in war and love... however, it's a pest, but causes no deceisive harm and will cost him his cavalry in the long run.

Russian Guard units march in Kovno and Tauroggen. East Prussia is in the defensive. Don't like that, will need troops from the west.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 8
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 9:24:49 AM   
Cfant

Admirality

Eastern Sea

Russian naval units clear the minefields of Memel.

English Channel

A naval scout unit runs into the Royal Navy. 1 cruiser and 3 destroyers are lost - the british only loose 1 destroyer. The Kaiser calls for revenge! The Hochseeflotte leaves Wilhelmshaven and enters the channel. It splits up and attacks 3 naval units of the Entente. After a short fight the german fleet returns home with no losses. The Royal Navy has suffered a very black day.

In a few hours, the Entente has lost 8BBs and 23 DDs (4 of them french).

A short explanation: I have one counter with range 3 (as have the british). So my range-3-counter (new BBs) attacked a british range-2-counter (the 8 old battleships) and two range-2-counters of mine attacked range-1-counters of the Entente. The attacks itself were without risk (no dive bombers so far and I avoided the british coastal fortresses). The risk was an ETE - then the British could have sunk my best units. So you always have to calculate the risk. That's something you don't have to in a IGO-YOUGO-game.

< Message edited by Cfant -- 7/18/2018 9:25:10 AM >

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 9
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 9:36:57 AM   
Cfant

26. September 1914

Westen

German units try to cut off the rest of the BEF but fail. So we confront the british in direct attacks. The british 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th InfDivs are destroyed.

Please note, that the BEF has Heavy Rifle Squads. German have normal RS, French, Austrian and Serbs have light RS. The BEF is the best force at this time - well, here no more.

The French disintegrate. Picture: Red circle: Fight against the BEF. Red arrow: Paris - 45 more kilometers to go!

Balkans

Units from Montenegro launch a successful offensive and take Cattaro. About 10.000 A-H soldiers are now POW. Reinforcements are on the way. Not a glorious story, though.

Serbia

Red circles show successful A-H attacks on serbian troops. Beeing offensive with the Serbs is not a good idea: They have the same RS-pool like the French. So every soldier the engine gives to the Serbs weakens the french reserves.

Admirality

Ballsy! My opponent starts an amphibious invasion of Memel! Well, if I hate something in TOAW, then it's amphibious invasions. The are highly luck-depended. The invasion fails and - even worse for the Russians - the Hochseeflotte with its superior range intercepts the enemy. Many russian marines die on their landing-crafts, and the Russian fleet takes a hell of a beating.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 10
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 9:42:24 AM   
Cfant

3. Oktober 1914

Western Front

Sadly I had an ETE before I saved the game, so I have no sal-file - and therefore no pictures.

German troops enter Paris, Chantilly is taken. Two InfDivs skirmish within Paris already.

Eastern Front

Reinforcements from the west rush in, everything under control.

Galicia

Russians attack Lemberg and Tarnopol. Both attacks fail. High russian losses (Lemberg: 8.200 men out of 100.000; Tarnopol 15.000 men out of 130.000). Austrian-Hungarian losses in both battles combined: Less then 5.000.

Admirality

Again the Hochseeflotte strikes agains the Royal Navy.

Colonies

South Africa is now under german control. In Lybia there is an uprising against Italy. In Namibia the invading Entente-forces get a beating while on retreat.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 11
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 1:07:33 PM   
SpicyJuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cfant

Sadly the scenario has no system like FitE to simulate the losses in economic power and manpower such a german advance would have cost the French. I doubt France would have survived a beating like this. The French reinforcements appear mostly around Paris. So the loss of land is not deceisive at itself. In this game the French problem is: they got beaten in Belgium AND eastern France. They no longer have an army able to fight the military power of the Germans.

However, it won't play a role here. We are in 3rd of October already and my opponent wrote, he doesn't get any reinforcements to talk about. German troops already have entered Chantilly and there is fighting in Paris. So there are not much plans for the next two years other then to drink champagne and think make party.

How were you able to push into Calais/Amiens AND Verdun, Nancy, and Epinal? Is the game not very balanced or strategic genius? How does this scenario compare to Home before the leaves fall or France 14?

Screw the Russians in Tauroggen they captured Tilsit!

What’s ETE?

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 12
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 1:15:26 PM   
Cfant

Hi!

Well, on turn 1 the French must execute Plan XVII by houserule. Means: They have to attack. Written is: Attack with all you have. Meant is: Attack once with limited losses, take their losses and go on defense. My opponent though he had to attack at ignore losses, even with HQs and as often as possible. So the French got much bigger losses then the houserule intented. Very honorable - he is (not only because of this) a very nice and fair opponent!
I offered him to make the turn again, but he denied. A gentlemen, it seems. But that's why eastern France fell - and the war was lost.

I don't remember to have played France 14, so I can't say.

@ETE: Early turn ending, either because a fight took too long oder by a failed proficiency check. It adds some uncertainity to TOAW - you never know, how long your turn is and have to plan accordingly.

(in reply to SpicyJuan)
Post #: 13
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 1:24:22 PM   
SpicyJuan

quote:

Hi!

Well, on turn 1 the French must execute Plan XVII by houserule. Means: They have to attack. Written is: Attack with all you have. Meant is: Attack once with limited losses, take their losses and go on defense. My opponent though he had to attack at ignore losses, even with HQs and as often as possible. So the French got much bigger losses then the houserule intented. Very honorable - he is (not only because of this) a very nice and fair opponent!
I offered him to make the turn again, but he denied. A gentlemen, it seems. But that's why eastern France fell - and the war was lost.

I don't remember to have played France 14, so I can't say.

@ETE: Early turn ending, either because a fight took too long oder by a failed proficiency check. It adds some uncertainity to TOAW - you never know, how long your turn is and have to plan accordingly.

How would the battle in Belgium have turned out if your opponent only attacked with limited losses? Do you think you would still have captured Calais?

Would you want to play France 14 against me? It’s not a very large scenario (which is good for me since I’m bad at TOAW) and you can pick whichever side you wan to play.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 14
RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 1:27:49 PM   
Cfant

[video]Parade[/video]

Everywhere in the German and Austrian-Hungarian Empire the church bells ring. On evening of October 3rd, the french government asks for an armistice. After 10 weeks of bloody war, the weapons calm.

[B]End situation(from Entente-view, CP-units mostly in FOW

Frankreich

It has been the 13 ID (VII Korps), which ended the war with the capture of Chantilly.

Eastern Prussia

Galicia

Serbia

Losses of the Entente

Infantry: About 3 million men (Losses German Empire: About 750.000 men, Austria-Hungary: About 30.000 men, including 10.000 POWs of Cattaro)

Naval units:

German Navy: 3 DDs, 2 Cruisers

Some notes:

• My opponent said, he split up his cavalry to make raids like the russians did historically. That's fine and fair. I think cities (at least at the border) should have small fixed garissons to prevent things like in South Africa.
  • The germans repair the rail too fast. Since turn 4 the rails had reached the front. Why? Well, german HQs can repair rails and the germans have a lot. Mayby only Korps-HQs should repair rails.
  • When I sunk first british and then russian BBs, it was mentioned in the news and suddenly I had a shockbonus again (140:100). That was the final hit - with this bonus and superior numbers, the germand could steamroll to Paris.

Last words: Thanks to my opponent, who was a really nice, fast and fair player! Thanks! Was quite fun!

< Message edited by Cfant -- 7/18/2018 1:29:51 PM >

(in reply to Cfant)
  • Post #: 15
    RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 2:24:41 PM   
    Cfant

quote:

How would the battle in Belgium have turned out if your opponent only attacked with limited losses? Do you think you would still have captured Calais?

Would you want to play France 14 against me? It’s not a very large scenario (which is good for me since I’m bad at TOAW) and you can pick whichever side you wan to play.

@Belgium: I don't really know. It's something my opponent should answer - I have no idea if France could possibly send units to this region. But I was quite pleased with my game in Belgium, so I could imagine Calais would have fallen either. But that's not so important, much more important is, if I could have broken through the belt of fortresses like Verdun, Epinal etc. And here I don't think so.

@France 14: Thanks for the offer. To be honest, I'm more into whole-war-scenarios. And I need a break from leading Germany into invading Belgium

(in reply to SpicyJuan)
    Post #: 16
    RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/18/2018 2:52:26 PM   
    SpicyJuan

quote:

quote:

@Belgium: I don't really know. It's something my opponent should answer - I have no idea if France could possibly send units to this region. But I was quite pleased with my game in Belgium, so I could imagine Calais would have fallen either. But that's not so important, much more important is, if I could have broken through the belt of fortresses like Verdun, Epinal etc. And here I don't think so.

@France 14: Thanks for the offer. To be honest, I'm more into whole-war-scenarios. And I need a break from leading Germany into invading Belgium

I’d argue that Calais is more important than Verdun and Epinal. Remember a quote from AH.com that goes “Whoever possesses Le Griz Nez wins the war” capturing Calais and Boulogne cripples the BEF as supplies will have to go around and take much longer, also the Germans have much more of the Belgian coast to play around with giving the Brits quite a headache, finally the last French coalfields were in the Calais region, without which it would only be a matter of time before the Entente would fall. Sure the Brits could supply the Fench with coal but then it couldnt supply the Italians with coal this Italy doesn’t join, Austrians do much better in the East and the butterflies take off from there.

As for Verdun and Epinal if they fall, the French will just retreat behind the Langres line

(in reply to Cfant)
    Post #: 17
    RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/19/2018 5:52:51 AM   
    Cfant

Well, maybe in Real Life. (and even there I doubt that the Entente would have fallen due to scarce ressources other then manpower). In this scenario Bolougne has no supply point, so the harbor doesn't help anything (other then to evacuate units). Gary and I were surprised by that either.

So in this scenario, there also is no penalty for the French for loosing so much territory (less recruits etc.). So it's just operational, and as our match played out, Verdun was quite important to open the rail to supply the german units coming from east and at last entering Paris. While Bolougne and Calais only were important to prevent the BEF from escaping.

It may differ from game to game. By the way: If the BEF had held the Calais-Bolougne sector - so who cares? It became important in Real Life, because the german rush for Paris failed. The BEF was used at the Marneschlacht, at Paris was the strategic aim. After Paris was safe, it was all about the chanell. Here the rush had not failed - why defending Calais, when Paris was in danger?

(in reply to SpicyJuan)
    Post #: 18
    RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/19/2018 3:22:13 PM   
    SpicyJuan

quote:

Well, maybe in Real Life. (and even there I doubt that the Entente would have fallen due to scarce ressources other then manpower). In this scenario Bolougne has no supply point, so the harbor doesn't help anything (other then to evacuate units). Gary and I were surprised by that either.

So in this scenario, there also is no penalty for the French for loosing so much territory (less recruits etc.). So it's just operational, and as our match played out, Verdun was quite important to open the rail to supply the german units coming from east and at last entering Paris. While Bolougne and Calais only were important to prevent the BEF from escaping.

It may differ from game to game. By the way: If the BEF had held the Calais-Bolougne sector - so who cares? It became important in Real Life, because the german rush for Paris failed. The BEF was used at the Marneschlacht, at Paris was the strategic aim. After Paris was safe, it was all about the chanell. Here the rush had not failed - why defending Calais, when Paris was in danger?

quote:

and even there I doubt that the Entente would have fallen due to scarce ressources other then manpower

Sorry what did you mean by this?

You’re right about Paris, but aren’t the chances of Schlieffen working and Paris falling quite small (like 10%)? Seems that Calais is the most obvious spot to take id you’re fighting a protracted war. However, doesn’t the German push near Paris draw away significant numbers of French troops from Lorraine? At least that’s what I remember happening historically

(in reply to Cfant)
    Post #: 19
    RE: Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria gr... - 7/20/2018 10:05:17 AM   
    Cfant

This scenario will seldom be played historically. In 1914 Germany nearly reached Paris - but the flanks were exposed in the Marne-Schlacht. in this scenario, the map is smaller then in real life or the units move better. You would be much more threatened to be cut off (in one turn by calvalry). In other words: Imagine the germans High HQ, that could only react after ONE WEEK to an enemy breakthrough (as in the scenario one turn is one week). So you can't take Real Life and compare it to the scenario 1:1.

Every game will be on its own. Sometimes Calais will be important and a heavy fight, sometimes it will be only one city more. Wouldn't it be otherwise?

And by the way, the Schlieffen Plan has failed here too - no chance to take Paris from the north in six weeks (turns). It's been the (unhistorical) push from the east that made it to Paris.

(in reply to SpicyJuan)
    Post #: 20
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Great War 1914-1918 vs. gwgardner - Make AUStria great again! Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI