Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (Allies)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (Allies) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/1/2018 10:17:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Enough suspense - Did Danny and Rafe survive?
warspite1

Ah that would be telling. You'll have to stay tooned if you want to know what happened to these two once World War II started.....

You mean there's a sequel to that which-shall-not-be-mentioned?
warspite1

I've been hoping for a sequel to that fine film since 2003.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 31
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/1/2018 10:24:23 PM   
warspite1

Turn 1
7th December 1941

Malaya

That's interesting. A bunch of Japanese have arrived adjacent to 11th Indian Division still on board trains. Now you'd think that they would be very vulnerable to attack here. The problem with attacking is that I am in danger of being cut-off by the units that landed at Singora. But surely an attack on units aboard a train must result in carnage for the defenders?

I decide to send 6th Indian Infantry Brigade south to hold the key towns of Jitra, Butterworth and Kroh. The 14th Infantry and 28th Gurkha Brigades head north with the divisional artillery.....

What the.....?? I've just realised that Japanese paratroopers have landed in central Malaya and a bomber group is now installed at the airfield at Jerantut....

I have no choice but to send 9th Division south to try and deal with this threat. Leaving just the 22nd Infantry Brigade south of Patani (where they've blown the bridge) the remaining two brigades head for Jerantut. I also order an Australian brigade from Singapore to the town.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/1/2018 10:57:10 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/1/2018 11:05:40 PM   
warspite1

Turn 1
7th December 1941

NEI

The Japanese seem to have landed everywhere - that is crazy?!?!

- Sumatra - they've landed in four places and established an airfield at Padung (there are no Allied units on this island).

- Borneo - three landing spots in the north and one in the south. (I move the 1st Dutch Infantry into the mountains on their way to Tarakan. The 2nd Dutch Division remains fortified at Balikpapan. I try and move 4 US destroyers but after moving 1 hex three are destroyed by enemy aircraft).

- Celebes - two landing sites detected in the southeast of the island... (there are no Allied forces on this island).

- Java - no sign of the enemy yet

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/1/2018 11:18:03 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/2/2018 8:30:41 AM   
warspite1

Turn 1
7th December 1941

India/Burma/Australia

I don't intend doing too much here. I could spend ages going through all the units but I see little purpose at this stage.

Burma
Given what I've seen so far of Japanese capabilities I suspect that the Japanese will simply pile into the Indian Ocean. There seems little point in any kind of forward defence on the Thai border and so I pull the 22nd Indian Brigade back from Moulmein and blow the bridge over the Sittang.

I order an armoured brigade to watch the long Burmese coast and order the 7th Gurkha Regiment to cover Mandalay/Magwe. The 1st Burma Division is weak, the total forces small and the country large....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/2/2018 9:11:17 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 34
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/2/2018 9:10:46 AM   
Olorin

You guys are crazy!

Playing several games and writing AARs, while I 'm suffering from severe wargaming fatigue. I've uninstalled TOAW, WitP, and HoI from my machines until normal life.
I'll keep an eye on this AAR though.
Keep it up!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/2/2018 9:13:05 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

You guys are crazy!

warspite1

Yep! Hope the break from wargaming sees you refreshed in due course and you feel able to resume. Sensible decision if its not fun.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 36
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/2/2018 9:15:44 AM   
warspite1

Turn 1
7th December 1941

India/Burma/Australia

India

Again a big country and few defenders. I order the 17th Indian Division to Eastern India from Delhi, but given the size of the country and the paucity of troops I suspect I won't be able to stop any landing attempt.

There are literally no troops in Ceylon so that's a gonna. I am going to move the....ahem...fleet west out of the way. I don't seem to have Kilindini on the map or so I'll send the Eastern Fleet to Addu Atoll

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/2/2018 9:39:07 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 37
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/2/2018 9:41:05 AM   
warspite1

Turn 1
7th December 1941

The Philippines

There are absolutely no US/Filipino forces in the north of Luzon - just a couple of partisans that can't move. I have two Filipino militia divisions at Lingayen. I might as well keep them there as they are fortified. There is another militia division at Bataan as well as a regular army division and the US Marines of the 4th Marine Regiment. Again I will keep these in situ.

At Manila itself there is 2 militia and 1 regular division, 2 tank battalions and a cavalry regiment. The units cover the coast while a railroad battery projects its shells into Manila Bay.

In the south of Luzon the 31st Militia Division stays fortified at Legaspi. On Leyte the 51st Militia remains fortified at Ormoc, while on Mindanao there is just 1 militia division in Davo.

There is nothing left of the Asiatic Fleet in the PI. Four destroyers were sunk trying to move and so I am leaving the destroyers off Tarakan where they are. They may as well die trying to stop and invasion as just disappear beneath the waves trying to sail to the PI.

Not sure where all the US bombers have gone - I only lost 17 (apparently) during the Axis turn so I don't quite understand that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/2/2018 10:36:46 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 38
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/2/2018 10:00:36 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

You guys are crazy!

Playing several games and writing AARs, while I 'm suffering from severe wargaming fatigue. I've uninstalled TOAW, WitP, and HoI from my machines until normal life.
I'll keep an eye on this AAR though.
Keep it up!

You uninstalled wargames?! And you're calling us crazy?

What is this so-called 'normal life' of which you speak?

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 39
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/2/2018 10:04:36 AM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Enough suspense - Did Danny and Rafe survive?
warspite1

Ah that would be telling. You'll have to stay tooned if you want to know what happened to these two once World War II started.....

You mean there's a sequel to that which-shall-not-be-mentioned?
warspite1

I've been hoping for a sequel to that fine film since 2003.

Masochist!

The sequel would see them in Hiroshima on August 5th. "Darling, do you think the bombing will ever come to us?"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 40
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/2/2018 10:38:11 AM   
warspite1

Turn 1
7th December 1941

Pearl Harbor

I've simply removed all ships from the area and they've been sent to the West Coast. No idea what I am going to do with them yet but it makes no sense to lose them early doors....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 41
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/2/2018 10:47:54 AM   
warspite1

Turn 1
7th December 1941

And so to action.

Round 1
I order bombardments of the Japanese troops on the train........... there is absolutely no effect....

I order bombardments against a couple of cruisers in Manila bay.... there is no effect

Round 2
I launch 21 Beaufort torpedo bombers against a Japanese cruiser off Kuantan. 7 aircraft are shot down (5 destroyed) but I destroy the light cruiser Isuzu.

Sadly the Japanese employ armour plated trains and my artillery have absolutely no effect. I should just accept this and retreat but I know if I do, my units will be engaged (and that would just really annoy me) so I will try one more time.

Round 3
There is an unidentified Japanese ship west of Singapore. I attack it with my beauforts and Walrus aircraft. It turns out to be a squadron of 4 destroyers and my efforts achieve nothing other than the loss of 7 Walrus (2 destroyed) and 2 Beauforts.

The Manila Bay artillery remains useless, but my Indian artillery at last achieve a small measure of success - both against the entrained Japanese troops in Thailand and against the paratroopers in central Malaya.

Round 4
Just the two artillery strikes this time and only that against the trains causes any damage....but then the turn ends.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/2/2018 10:57:21 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 42
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/2/2018 11:35:55 AM   
devoncop

As a small morale boost Rob you can't lose this scenario in the first dozen turns or so ....think of it as the equivalent stage as 0'Connors raid on the static Italians in CFNA....The Japanese have to perform at maximum efficiency just to match history so any damage you cause at this stage see it as a bonus!

See.... You feel much better now don't you

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 43
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 7:04:18 AM   
warspite1

Er.....

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 44
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 7:06:42 AM   
warspite1

Turn 2 - Axis Turn (in real time)
14th December 1941

When I finished my turn Larry mentioned that he knew I’d withdrawn the fleet to the west coast. That is disconcerting. I don’t know what the intel rules are on the game or what each side can see. I am surprised at the amount of thing I can see of the Japanese player – specifically units in the Pacific which surely should go out of sight and become invisible???

Anyways.....

Tons of Japanese formations moving north into China from French Indo-China

Forces in Northern Luzon on the move and movement along the west coast down toward Lingayen Gulf

I thought Larry’s subchaser units were being used as recce – but I’m wondering if they are being used to assist landings. I think forces from Indo China have transferred to the PI and a sub chaser unit is ‘doing stuff’ against some of the islands and northern Mindanao.

A subchaser comes across my destroyers guarding Tarakan. There is then a bombardment but I don’t know if a naval battle took place.

Hello little subchaser thingy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2018 7:07:29 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 45
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 7:09:23 AM   
warspite1

14th December 1941

There is then some activity on Borneo’s northern coast around Brunei but I can’t make out what.

The playback then skips between movement on PI, China and French Indo China. Major offensive underway in the southern coastal area and also movement opposite the Chinese Communists.

Fleet movements in the Coral Sea – it looks like a destroyer division enters a port hex adjacent to Port Moresby then withdraws – a subchaser and a load of infantry then follow it and land in the port. There are lots of enemy units – they surround the Australian base and start to fan out.

A large naval force heads for the east of New Guinea I don’t know where it ends up

Aircraft appear to be reinforcing the PI

A Japanese fleet leaves (what I think is Wake?) and heads for a US island (not sure which one). The fleet seems to contain light fleet carriers, cruisers and possibly a BB and has troops and the inevitable ‘subchaser’ unit

Reinforcement being carried out in Northern China

Major reinforcement it would appear in the Philippines – and Legaspi will no doubt fall this turn.

A Japanese fleet heads toward Mindanao – but then carries straight on past the island – I don’t know where too – but I would be disappointed if Celebes is being targeted already.

Numerous landings appear to be being made against the smaller PI islands

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 46
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 7:13:57 AM   
warspite1

14th December 1941

Irritatingly – but as expected – Japanese forces surround the Indian 11th Division units that attacked the train. I suspect there will be no engagement penalty for the Japanese troops dis-embarking either. I should have realised that and not attempted to attack but in the absence of knowledge of this scenario I tried to apply logic and it appears to have backfired dramatically…. Note to self. If I want to reduce the risk of attack in future I won't tell my troops to dig-in I will tell them to board a train

More troop reinforcement of Thailand

Another fleet move in the Pacific – I can’t get any bearings on where though as there is no land – other than dots – to enable identification of location.

…and back to Thailand and yet more troops pile in to Bangkok and environs!

And more reinforcement in the Port Moresby area. A ship(s?) then head toward Northern Australia. If the Japanese attack Australia before securing the oil of the NEI then I am not going to be impressed.....

Northern Luzon suddenly explodes with Japanese units!

The Chinese forces in the south are being surrounded as more units flood out of Indo-China

The Japanese forces that reinforced Thailand are heading north toward Burma/China

A lot of aircraft rebasing now and Celebes is being reinforced with aircraft – as are all theatres…

It looks like the Kido Butai is on the move now and heading south – I don’t know if it’s the full complement or a portion but they are now off New Guinea – presumably to assist the taking of Port Moresby?

No it’s not the full KB I see the name Soryu on a group moving east and north and ends up on the extreme northern map edge!

So what seems to be happening is ships move into empty ports so that troops can then walk in at a later date. This is currently happening on Celebes where there is not a single Allied soldier…..

Now the same happens in Malaya – a ship is moving along the coast and entering all the empty port hexes. There is also some sort of bombardment but I can’t tell by what to who??

The Walrus floatplane at Singapore evaporates

This Japanese naval unit (task force) then casually enters the Indian Ocean and does the same to a port on the eastern Indian coast – and possibly one in Ceylon before exiting

More aircraft reinforcement now

The attacks start but it’s really bad – I can’t slow the playback fast enough and so miss a couple of things – why is there no individual playback?

The US destroyers guarding Tarakan simply evaporate – everywhere – China, PI, Thailand – a Pacific Island (Midway perhaps?) it’s just retreat and destruction. Both Indian brigades and the artillery are destroyed in Thailand

The Japanese land south of Manila and ….. it’s more retreat for the Allied forces

And that appears to be that.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 47
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 8:38:03 AM   
warspite1

14th December 1941

So what actually happened that turn? Well here's the situation.

Thailand/Malaya/PNG

I was wrong about all the Indian forces being evaporated - it was just the artillery. All in all I'm happy with the performance put in as the CW forces in Thailand/Malaya at least hurt the Japanese.

There is clearly a major operation going on in New Guinea - and that puts Australia under threat. I will make no comment on the historical reality here as its a game and it is what it is - but I'm sure I'll mention it going forward....once....or twice.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2018 8:44:04 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 48
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 8:45:29 AM   
warspite1

14th December 1941

Philippines and Midway

Sure enough the island assaulted - and occupied - was Midway.....

The Philippines are a total mess and this is only the 21st December (for the Axis).....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2018 9:07:10 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 49
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 9:13:35 AM   
Szilard

quote:

14th December 1941

So what actually happened that turn? Well here's the situation.

Thailand/Malaya/PNG

There is clearly a major operation going on in New Guinea - and that puts Australia under threat. I will make no comment on the historical reality here as its a game and it is what it is - but I'm sure I'll mention it going forward....once....or twice.....

Balancing the ahistorical speed of the Japanese advance in this area you have ahistorical Oz forces.

The militia forces (ie I think all the Oz land units on the map at the moment except for the 8th Div in Malaya and the 1st Armoured) were all way under-equipped and under-trained in Dec 1941, nothing like the proficient, strong brigades in this scenario.

The 1st Armoured had almost no tanks, nothing like the 150 Grants & Shermans (!) in this scenario's world.

When the 6th & 7th Divs return from the Middle East in a few weeks, two brigades of the 6th should go to garrison Ceylon for a while, and a small 7th Div component should land in Java to be snapped up. In the scenario, I think they all turn up in Melbourne.

There's nothing in the scenario restricting militia deployment to Oz areas of New Guinea before 1943, as was the case in real life, so feel free to use them in Dutch New Guinea or for an early relief of the Philippines or something.

On the other hand, house rules restrict 1st Armoured to Oz, which is fair enough for the full div, but in real life sub-formations & some other Oz tanks units were sent out. In the scenario, it seems like Oz gets no tanks on the battlefield.

Etc etc.

Not just being an Oz chauvinist, but it makes the scenario a no-starter for me. Oz units were the majority of Macarthur's land forces through late 1943, bearing the brunt in New Guinea which was at least as important as the Solomon's in many respects during the wearing-down phase of the war. Representing them so poorly takes the scenario too far away from reality for me.

Plus locating Canberra on the coast ...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 50
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 12:49:16 PM   
warspite1

Hi Szilard

Yeah I guess we all have our red lines in terms of realism. I assumed that the Japanese have to take the NEI for the oil (which after all is what the Pacific War is very largely about) but tons of Japanese soldiers, ships and aircraft appear to be heading off in all directions as though the oil situation is irrelevant.

But it's good to be playing a Pacific game in the same way that it was good to muck about in the sand for a change - regardless of any realism issues. I might change my mind on this if things get too off the wall though

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 51
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 12:51:04 PM   
warspite1

14th December 1941

China

If I thought losing over 500 infantry squads on turn 1 was bad then it was a walk in the park compared to this turn!! That is some loss rate!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2018 1:58:17 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 52
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 2:45:36 PM   
warspite1

Turn 2
14th December 1941

India

Here is an example of what I was talking about earlier. The Japanese sub chaser that entered the Indian Ocean has begun the preliminary work for future invasion. Two hexes are involved - one on the Indian east coast and one (here) on Ceylon. The Indian hex was cleared by an engineer from the 23rd Division but the one on Ceylon requires a battalion of British infantry to sail to the island. There were plenty of these in the NEI and PI but no troops to clear them with....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2018 2:58:24 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 53
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 3:10:26 PM   
warspite1

Turn 2
14th December 1941

Burma

Given the pace of advance and the inability of the Japanese to require logistics I expect action in this theatre imminently....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2018 3:17:18 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 54
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 3:36:06 PM   
warspite1

Turn 2
14th December 1941

Thailand/Malaya

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 55
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 3:55:57 PM   
warspite1

Turn 2
14th December 1941

NEI

Aside from the below the Dutch have limited forces on Java

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2018 3:57:09 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 56
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 3:57:44 PM   
warspite1

Turn 2
14th December 1941

Australia

I send two battalions of the Austalian 5th Division to the north east corner of the country. A Japanese fleet is stationed menacingly offshore....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2018 4:15:15 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 57
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 4:06:35 PM   
warspite1

Turn 2
14th December 1941

United States

I'm not happy that the Japanese appear to know where my Pacific Fleet is - that's nuts. I feel I should put the fleet to sea - at least put Larry on notice that he can't sail around the Pacific invulnerable. The problem with that is that I don't know anything about the naval game and I really can't afford to lose these vital ships.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2018 4:18:53 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 58
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 4:20:15 PM   
warspite1

Turn 2
14th December 1941

China

In terms of what to do, China is very easy in contrast....

RUN!!!!

I'm totally confused about 'on' or 'behind' rivers but I don't have enough troops anyway to hold a line so I just do what I can until I either get destroyed or a plan comes to mind.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/3/2018 4:46:32 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 59
RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (All... - 6/3/2018 4:54:44 PM   
warspite1

Turn 2
14th December 1941

The Philippines

I don't believe it - I've forgotten to do anything here What a stupid mistake - although I can't see as it makes much difference.

Malaya

Let's see if I've got this right; the Indian Army bombards a lightly armed paratroop unit - and twice receives more in counter battery fire than it dishes out??? What ordinance does a Japanese parachute battalion have for goodness sake????

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: PAW 1941-45 larryfulkerson (Axis) vs warspite1 (Allies) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI